PDA

View Full Version : 3/2 sniper has longest kill of deployment

thedrifter
08-29-05, 02:56 PM
3/2 sniper has longest kill of deployment
2nd Marine Division
Story by Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel

HUSAYBAH, Iraq (Aug. 18, 2005) -- When Cpl. Matt Orth, a scout sniper with 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, first deployed to Iraq he knew he was in for a fight and he knew it would be a memorable deployment.

But by the end of it, the Clearwater, Fla., native knew one more thing; he had the longest recorded kill during the first half of his battalion’s stint here.
Back in May, Orth was in Husaybah, Iraq, supporting Company I at Camp Gannon which skirts the edge of the city.

One day Orth witnessed foreign fighters battling local tribes within the city. He was soon called over to the local Iraqi National Guard compound and that’s when it happened.

“As soon as we got there, a guy was running out of an alley, shooting back into it. He then turned and started shooting at the ING compound,” the 2002 Clearwater High School graduate continued. “I took a shot and missed. Then I took a second shot and killed the insurgent.”

Orth explained what was going on in his head when this was happening. He recalled how his training played a huge part in how he reacted in a combat situation and how it kept him cool under fire.

“I shot at him instantly because he was shooting at us. You don’t really feel anything when it happens, it’s just a natural instinct,” explained the 22-year-old.

Marines measured the distance between Orth and the dead insurgent and it came back as approximately 1,256 yards, the longest of this current seven-month deployment.

Orth was left in disbelief of the distance, but credits the kill to two specific reasons.

“Basically, I was able to get the kill because of my sniper school training and having a good spotter (Sgt. C.J. Quinlan),” he explained.

Orth said the one virtue that every sniper needs to have is patience.
“As a sniper you do a lot of sitting and observing and out here you watch a lot of roads, waiting,” he said.

Before the longest kill, Orth experienced another first; wounds received in combat. On April 11, Orth was holding a sniper position just outside Camp Gannon, when two suicide car bombers attacked the outer perimeter of the camp injuring Orth.

According to Orth, he was one of the closest Marines to the attack. He sustained a concussion and bruised ribs as a result of the blasts and eventually received a small token of gratitude.

Around mid-June, Orth returned to Camp Al Qa’im, Iraq, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines’ forward operating base, to receive the Purple Heart Medal[s1] from the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. William L. Nyland.

“It was amazing to receive the Purple Heart from General Nyland in a combat zone. I can’t really describe how it felt, but it was a great honor,” Orth explained.

After six months of his first deployment to Iraq, a Purple Heart and the longest recorded kill, Orth is looking forward to returning home to his family.
“I’ve formed a lot of close relationships out here. Being deployed makes you grow as a person and I have. I’ll definitely remember this one,” he explained.

Ellie

JOHNBL35
08-29-05, 05:57 PM
One hell of a shot!!!!

BOOGIEMAN44
08-29-05, 09:36 PM
ONE SHOT ONE KILL, THE MOST DEADLIEST WEAPON IS A MARINE AND HIS RIFLE, GOOD SHOT MARINE...CARLOS WOULD BE PROUD.

Joseph P Carey
08-29-05, 10:10 PM
500 yards short of a mile. That is one hell of a shot!