PDA

View Full Version : Camp Arnold

thedrifter
08-29-05, 06:30 AM
Camp Arnold
August 27th, 2005
Matt May

NEW YORK (Nov. 20, 1776) – The grieving mother of an American soldier killed in action during the recent failed defense of Fort Washington is demanding an audience with Gen. George Washington.

“George is the biggest butcher on the face of the earth,” Mrs. Ima Benedict declared to a throng of nearly 25 Loyalist pamphleteers and newspapermen.

About 30 fellow protestors on a street corner on the upper west side of Manhattan joined Mrs. Benedict today at what has been dubbed “Camp Arnold” by supporters of Mrs. Benedict’s cause. The group held aloft homemade placards reading “No Blood For Representation,” “George, Talk to Ima” and “Justice for Arnold.”

Arnold Benedict was one of nearly 3,000 American soldiers killed during the recent attempt to defend Fort Washington on Manhattan. Mr. Benedict, of Massachusetts, signed on with the American army at the beginning of the year. Mrs. Benedict said that she pleaded with him not to join but Mr. Benedict and his father said he was old enough to make his own decisions. He was 22-years old. Mrs. Benedict claims the war is invalid.

“Who cares about the price of tea or some stamps?” asked Mrs. Benedict as a small crowd of onlookers gathered. “What’s wrong with the British? This so-called freedom and liberty is a false premise for war. It’s all based on lies. George lies and Arnold dies. Look at what he said to the soldiers before Long Island. You think women are going to have any say if he wins his precious war? And we already have slavery here on this continent! George himself has slaves! He’s a (expletive deleted) hypocrite!”

Mrs. Benedict was referring to Gen. Washington’s orders to his soldiers as the British built up their garrison on Staten Island. The orders written by Gen. Washington stated:

“Remember officers and Soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty – that Slavery will be your portion, and that of posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men.”

“George is a misogynist,” Mrs. Benedict said flatly.

Mrs. Benedict noted that in the aftermath of the bloody losses at Fort Washington, many New York and New Jersey colonists are signing up with the British forces, more so than are signing up with the American army. Mrs. Benedict indicated that she and her supporters would be establishing what she called the “New York Information House” near her protest site in Manhattan, so that New Yorkers interested in aligning with the British could learn more.

“We want to raise awareness,” she said.

As Gen. Washington’s forces retreat, Mrs. Benedict vows to follow him every step of the way until she can meet face-to-face with His Excellency.

“I will not stop until I speak to him and tell him to stop this war. No boy’s life is worth this and all the freedoms in the world won’t bring back Arnold.” When asked about the harsh winter conditions expected, Mrs. Arnold was unrelenting. “I don’t care if I freeze to death. George has to answer my question of why Arnold had to die in this senseless war. The answer won’t bring my son back, but it may stop other senseless deaths, because every death from now on makes no sense. Why do more parents have to lose their children and live with this unbearable grief?”

Gen. Washington’s aide-de-camp said that the general was unavailable for comment, and released a one-sentence statement regarding Mrs. Benedict’s request for a meeting: “Gen. Washington is presently prosecuting a war.”

Mrs. Benedict said this was obviously inadequate:

“There have always been excuses for wars, but none of them have been good or valid.”

Mrs. Benedict indicated that documents such as the recently signed Declaration of Independence and Gen. Washington’s lofty phraseology in his orders and correspondence belied the real reasons for war, and that Gen. Washington was under the control of outside influences as a puppet.

When asked who or what could be behind a secret plot to engage the British in a war, Mrs. Benedict said she did not wish to go into detail but sniffed, “Probably the Jews.”

Matt May is a freelance writer and can be reached at matthewtmay@yahoo.com; his website is here.

Ellie