PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina update.

Osotogary
08-27-05, 10:10 PM
Well, suffered through 3 days without air conditioning. No flooding in my area but fallen trees and shingles from the roof found in back yard. Food went bad on day three. Sh*tcanned all of it. No ice to be found and gas stations were running out of petrol. Used the pool to cool off. Invited folks next door to a feed and a splash or two. It was a good way to spend friday before going into the house and sweating like all get out. Hurricane Katrina saved our neigbors the task of climbing up and getting the mangos off of their tree. Another neighbor gave us a whole slew of avocados. Power finally came on about 1830 this evening. Now I won't have to put up with the moaning and groaning accompanying no air conditioning but on the flip side there is still alot of flooding and misery associated with Hurricane Katrina in South Miami/Dade County and Homestead.

Gary

Joseph P Carey
08-27-05, 10:28 PM
So long as you're OK Gary! By the way, Yellowwing, Drifter, and Jim Nelson Exorcised the local threads of the fraudulent poster in the false reporting of deaths from Iraq. I don't know if you had heard about that as yet.

CHOPPER7199
08-27-05, 10:34 PM
GARY, I KNOW THE FEELING ABOUT NO POWER. UP NORTH WE HAVE HAD A FEW ICE STORMS. AFTER THE SECOND ONE GOT A SMALL GENERATOR, IT HELPED.

Osotogary
08-27-05, 10:48 PM
Joseph- No, I hadn't heard but that is good news for sure. Thanks for the well wishes.

Chopper- I was prepared to go into a "survival type mode" but my better half doesn't like peanut butter and finger sandwiches and warm beer. LOL. It got kinda testy but it all worked out for the best ....as soon as the power came back on.
A generator sure would have helped at least with the refrigerator. A couple of foks just died from carbon monoxide poisoning from their generator today. They were running it in their garage.

CHOPPER7199
08-27-05, 10:54 PM
SORRY TO HEAR THAT GARY, PEOPLE GET THINGS BUT DO NOT CHECK OUT THE SAFETY THINGS ABOUT THEM. WE HAD PROBLEM HERE ALSO OF THEM BURNING PROPANE HEATERS IN ENCLOSED AREAS. NO MATTER HOW MUCH WARNINGS GET PUT ON THINGS, PEOPLE STILL GOOF UP. STAY SAFE DOWN THERE.

HardJedi
08-27-05, 11:10 PM
heya GARY! long time no talk! glad to hear that all is well. hope to talk to you again soon. I'll be back on here on a more regular basis again from now on!

like I said, glad to hear that you and yours are dafe and doing well.

Sgtj
08-28-05, 01:19 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm getting geared up to go through round two of this thing. They just upgraded it to a CAT IV. I guess its good my wife is gone to Scotland this week. I'm here by myself. House is 1 mile and 20ft above the Gulf Gulf of Mexico and about 10 miles east of Biloxi. Ooh Rah, I'll update when I can. The next couple of days will be rough.

Semper Fidelis.

cajunguy
08-28-05, 01:28 AM
You stay safe, SgtJ.

This is gonna be one helluva BJ.

Joseph P Carey
08-28-05, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Sgtj
Hey everyone,

I'm getting geared up to go through round two of this thing. They just upgraded it to a CAT IV. I guess its good my wife is gone to Scotland this week. I'm here by myself. House is 1 mile and 20ft above the Gulf Gulf of Mexico and about 10 miles east of Biloxi. Ooh Rah, I'll update when I can. The next couple of days will be rough.

Semper Fidelis.

Actually, Sgt J, Speaking as a long time Florida boy, before I moved to the Great SW Desert, who has experienced many of those suckers, it is never the speed of the winds of the `cane that is the problem, it is always the speed of the movement of the `cane that kills. If it is a slow moving `cane, get you butt out of there. Most modern houses can take the speed of the winds, but not the prolonged duration of them for long.

That was our measuring stick as to whether to get out-of-Dodge, or not, when I was a boy.

Devildogg4ever
08-28-05, 05:22 AM
Good to see your alright, Osotogary!!! Prayers still being sent to all in the path!!

ringoffire
08-28-05, 06:53 AM
Osotogary-I'm glad you and your family are safe. I've been through a few myself. We always had what I would call a "hurricane party", after it passed, of course. All the neighbors would start their grills and have a big pot luck.

Sgtj-I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope this one passes quickly, and not too much damage.

OLE SARG
08-28-05, 09:45 AM
Gary,
Glad to hear you and yours survived Hurricane Katrina. I knew you were a tough ole bird but it is tough when you have to drink warm beer.

Stay safe down there and let us know is you need anything.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

Osotogary
08-28-05, 09:58 AM
Sgtj-
You take care now. Prayers and good thoughts heading your way.
We got a flea bite compared to what's heading your way. Be safe.
Gary

GySgtRet
08-28-05, 10:22 AM
Gary,

Glad to see that all is well.. Now introduce us all to your family.

rsta
08-28-05, 12:12 PM
Sgtj, hang on tight and make sure you've got plenty of spam and twinkies on hand.

Osotogary
08-28-05, 01:25 PM
GySgtRet-
The guy that looks like he needs a tan, in the photo on the shack, is me....everybody else is my neighbor.
Twinkies? Enough of those makes a dandy floatation device.

yellowwing
08-28-05, 02:00 PM
Looks like you got off easy on Katrina. Now she really has her sh*t together with 175 mph winds. Dang, that's NASCAR speed!

No worries in New Orleans. I met a bartender that still was on the job during one hurricane. "I was changing kegs in 4 feet of water!"

ringoffire
08-28-05, 02:58 PM
Thats a great picture yellowwing. I hope anyone who is in Katrinas path stays safe, my thoughts and prayers go out to all.

jinelson
08-28-05, 06:55 PM
Gary glad to hear that you were spared once again. Its beginning to sound as though many others will not be as fortunate and prayers are out for them. Sgtj batten down the hatches and may God be with you.

HardJedi
08-28-05, 10:16 PM
heard that they are evacing New orleans on the news just now.

Joseph P Carey
08-30-05, 01:15 AM
Has anyone heard fron Sgt J since the storm? I think the storm hit him right on the chin. Last count was 55 people down. If anyone hears form him, have him say hello to the board, so we know he is all right.

GySgtRet
08-30-05, 05:14 AM
Sgtj,

Take care and update when you are able to.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
08-30-05, 05:16 AM
Gary,

I hope that you and yours are safe.

Osotogary
08-30-05, 06:56 AM
GySgtRet-
I'm as safe as I can be. (Thanks for the well wishes). I'm terribly concerned about Sgtj and the folks up in that area. Worse than Andrew by all counts. And the reports of looting in New Orleans? What a way to wake up.

GySgtRet
08-30-05, 08:24 AM
Gary,

I haven't seen a reply from SgtJ from when I posted earlier this morning. I hope that he comes through this ok. It sounds like from here in Va that there is a lot of water damge...??? Be safe.

Ed

Joseph P Carey
08-30-05, 09:12 AM
Gunny,

I believe the electric is still out in Sgt J's area, and the mobile telephone transfer stations took a hit too. Even if he had a laptop with a sending apparatus, it would not assist him in getting any information out, but being an old Marine, he is probably assisting in efforts to help his neighbors get through the storm, and he may be too busy to talk right now. After all, it takes more than a `cane to knock down an old Marine.

GySgtRet
08-30-05, 10:25 AM
Joseph P Carey,

Thanks for the gouge.

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
08-30-05, 11:36 AM
Dang Lake Ponchartrain levee has sprung a leak and is further flooding the city now. :(

New Orleans Filling With Flood Waters Due to Breached Levee (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083000689.html)

yellowwing
08-30-05, 11:52 AM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/neworleansfloodplain.jpg
Graphic Source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Geological Survey,

You can see that the Superdome is in the yellow region. The news story cites that there is 3 feet of water around the Superdome, so you can get a good picture how bad the flooding really is. Anything in yellow or red is under water.

Until they get the levee fixed and electricty out to the huge bilge pumps, its bad news.

yellowwing
08-31-05, 12:58 PM
Excerts from the San Diego Union Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050831-0624-hurricanekatrina.html)

Looting broke out in some New Orleans neighborhoods, prompting authorities to send more than 70 additional officers and an armed personnel carrier into the city. One police officer was shot in the head by a looter but was expected to recover, authorities said.

A giant new Wal-Mart in New Orleans was looted, and the entire gun collection was taken, The Times-Picayune reported. "There are gangs of armed men in the city moving around the city," said Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief. Also, looters tried to break into Children's Hospital, the governor's office said.

Dammit, SEND IN THE MARINES!
Our LAVs can navigate the flooded areas. The 4th Division is only a few miles from the French Quarter and Canal Street.

Now armed and more desperate, they are going to escalate from wounding policemen and attacking a children's hospital.

jinelson
08-31-05, 01:02 PM
The same thought occured to me.

thedrifter
08-31-05, 01:14 PM
August 31, 2005 <br />
Comfort to deploy to Gulf Coast <br />
By Mark D. Faram <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
The Navy is preparing to deploy the hospital ship Comfort to assist in relief efforts on the Gulf Coast. <br />

Joseph P Carey
08-31-05, 01:38 PM
True, I am wondering why the President has not sent in Federal Troops to restore order? It is not a new precedence. The Marines have been used for many things including strikes, and race riots. and natural catastrophes amoung other things.

The only thing that I can imagine is that the Governors of LA and MS have not requested Federal Troops. They think they can handle it on their own.

thedrifter
08-31-05, 01:41 PM
Marines

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21876

thedrifter
08-31-05, 02:15 PM
Katrina Prompts Global Support for Victims
Wednesday August 31, 2005 6:31 PM
By DANICA KIRKA
Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the American victims of Hurricane Katrina, even moved to offer aid at the sight of what nature could do to a wealthy and powerful country.

Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

``Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can't fight it,'' said Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania's Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Throughout Europe, concerned citizens were keeping a close eye on events as they lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of the North America's most ``European'' cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to U.S. President George W. Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed his letter, ``Dear George.''

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the ``tragic'' hurricane while China's President Hu Jintao expressed his ``belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland.''

Queen Elizabeth II sent a message to Bush saying she was ``deeply shocked and saddened'' at the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.

In the message, the British monarch expressed her sympathies to the people of the United States, ``especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster.''

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland - a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week - said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

``We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations,'' said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

Earlier this week, the American Embassy donated US$50,000 (euro40,990) to help Swiss relief groups. Several communities in Switzerland remain virtually cut off from the outside world and reliant on air transport for essential supplies. The international oil company BP PLC's foundation donated US$1 million (euro819,806) for Katrina victims.

The Internet-edition Vienna daily Der Standard recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. One of the postings, signed ``Emerald,'' asked where donations could be sent, sparking debate about whether a rich country such as the United States needed such aid.

In response, a posting signed ``far out'' said sending aid to homeless in New Orleans made just as much sense as donating to the poor in Sudan.

``Poor is poor, regardless of where,'' the entry said.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America's misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that ``Private'' Katrina had joined the global jihad. With ``God's help,'' they declared, oil prices would hit US$100 a barrel this year.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans' flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country's population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands has been preparing since floods in 1953 that killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls known as the Delta Works.

``I don't want to sound overly critical, but it's hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country,'' Ted Sluijter, press spokesman for Neeltje Jans, the public park where the Delta Works are exhibited. ``It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren't really in place, and once it happened, the coordination'' was poor.

Both Katrina and the floods in Europe prove that all countries needed to be prepared for the worst, said Salvano Briceno, director of the Geneva-based U.N. International Strategy for Disaster Reduction.

``Anyone can be affected, any day, anywhere by disaster originated by a natural hazard,'' Briceno told journalists. ``Urban risks, the degradation of the environment and global warming make disaster reduction a top priority for all governments' agenda.''

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to the global warming that may be behind such furies of nature.

European media in particular raised long-standing criticism of American environmental policy, which they maintain contributes to global warming and natural catastrophes such as Katrina.

The Lausanne-based daily 24 Heures warned that even greater disasters may be around the corner and asked what was being done to prepare by the end of the century for ``the exodus of 150 million refugees caused by the rising of the oceans.''

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for WWF Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes such as Katrina, but that it was unclear whether climate change had made them more common.

In general, ``natural catastrophes are more extreme and occur more often'' due to global warming, he said, noting that Germany had been struck with three severe floods in the past six years.

Though no conclusions can be drawn from a single event such as Katrina, that storm ``fits into the picture of modern climate researchers. It's a building block in the global warming theory.''

Aside from its tragic aftermath, Katrina might help people understand the urgency of global warming effects, Ehlers said. But do the Americans, infamous for consuming massive amounts of energy, have themselves to blame?

``I wouldn't go that far,'' Ehlers said. ``But it's a fact that the Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect.''

Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, disputed Ehlers' assessment during a trip to Geneva. He denied there was a link between global warming and the strength of Katrina.

``Our scientists are telling us right now that there's not a linkage,'' he said. ``I'll rely on their information.''

Associated Press Writers Susanna Loof, Bradley S. Klapper, Alexander G. Higgins and Anca Teodorescu contributed to this story.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-31-05, 02:42 PM
LATEST NEWS
East Bay Business Times - 10:12 AM PDT Wednesday
Chevron donates $5M for hurricane help

San Ramon oil giant Chevron Corp. said it will give $5 million to disaster-relief charities in states hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Chevron (NYSE:CVX) will give $3 million to the American Red Cross for aid in Mississippi and Louisiana. It will also give $2 million to different charities in the affected area, particularly those close to Chevron businesses.

Chevron has many operations in the Gulf of Mexico area affected by the storm. The company has asked affected employees in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida to call an 800 number to let the company know their current situations.

It has about 3,000 employees in those areas hardest hit by the hurricane.

San Francisco Business Times

Ellie

thedrifter
08-31-05, 02:57 PM
Bayer Pledges $2 Million to Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort; Matches Employee Donations Dollar For Dollar

Bayer Corporation today announced that, together with the Bayer Foundation, it has committed $2 million in cash and product donations to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

The Bayer Foundation will match Bayer employee donations dollar for dollar, which will then be donated to the American Red Cross.

"We at Bayer are deeply moved by the news reports following the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. To help in the relief efforts, Bayer is actively coordinating employee donations, and collecting and shipping key products and other critical material to where it is needed," said Dr. Attila Molnar, Bayer Corporation president and CEO.

Bayer has received no reports to date of any impact on its employees or facilities. The company does not have major facilities in the region directly affected by the hurricane.

Bayer Corporation, headquartered in Pittsburgh, is part of the worldwide Bayer Group, an international health care, nutrition and innovative materials group based in Leverkusen, Germany. In North America, as of April 2005, Bayer employed about 16,000 and had net sales in 2004 of 8.3 billion euros. Bayer's three operating companies - Bayer HealthCare LLC, Bayer CropScience LP and Bayer MaterialScience LLC - improve people's lives through a broad range of essential products that help diagnose and treat diseases, protect crops and advance automobile safety and durability.

Forward-Looking Statements

This news release contains forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in our public reports filed with the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (including our Form 20-F). The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.

Bayer Corporation Rebecca Lucore, 412-777-5200

Ellie

yellowwing
08-31-05, 04:46 PM
Alright! The Boss is sending in more federal assets, including the USS Iwo Jima Battle Group and some more.

Phantom Blooper
09-01-05, 06:14 AM
NewRiver sends troops to aid victims
September 01,2005

DAILY NEWS STAFF

STAFF REPORT

The Marines are coming.

About 70 Leathernecks from units at New River Air Station will deploy early this morning to the storm-ravaged Gulf Coast to assist in disaster-relief operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The deployment will last an undetermined amount of time, according to a release furnished by the air station.

The Defense Department has set up Joint Task Force Katrina at Camp Shelby, Miss., to assist the Federal Emergency Management Agency's efforts, according to a DoD release.

Headed by Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, the task force will coordinate DoD active-duty support, the release states.

The response will be far-reaching and include various elements from all five military branches.

The Navy, for example, is sending the Iwo Jima Amphibious Readiness Group from Norfolk, Va. It consists of USS Iwo Jima, USS Shreveport, USS Tortuga and USNS Arctic. Loaded with disaster-response equipment, the group is expected to reach the Louisiana coast within the week.

thedrifter
09-01-05, 06:36 AM
NewRiver sends troops to aid victims
September 01,2005
STAFF REPORT View stories by reporter
DAILY NEWS STAFF

STAFF REPORT

The Marines are coming.

About 70 Leathernecks from units at New River Air Station will deploy early this morning to the storm-ravaged Gulf Coast to assist in disaster-relief operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The deployment will last an undetermined amount of time, according to a release furnished by the air station.

The Defense Department has set up Joint Task Force Katrina at Camp Shelby, Miss., to assist the Federal Emergency Management Agency's efforts, according to a DoD release.

Headed by Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, the task force will coordinate DoD active-duty support, the release states.

The response will be far-reaching and include various elements from all five military branches.

The Navy, for example, is sending the Iwo Jima Amphibious Readiness Group from Norfolk, Va. It consists of USS Iwo Jima, USS Shreveport, USS Tortuga and USNS Arctic. Loaded with disaster-response equipment, the group is expected to reach the Louisiana coast within the week.

Ellie

Phantom Blooper
09-01-05, 07:48 AM
Great minds think alike! ROTFLMAO!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall:banana:

Old Marine
09-01-05, 09:00 AM
I think I would rather take my chances on the West Coast Earthquakes.

mrbsox
09-01-05, 11:36 AM
Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves here folks...

I just remembered that we should start seeing;
France
Germany
Spain
Malasia
and all of the OTHER world relief organizations showing up on the horizion any minute now.

Anyone holding their breath ??

GySgtRet
09-01-05, 12:12 PM
mrbsox,

YEAH Right....

Joseph P Carey
09-01-05, 02:15 PM
Sure! We will see them! Actually, Russia, of all places has offered Sailors, medical personnel, and low draft boats for rescuing people in the city and along the marshes. And, believe this, Venezuela has offered discounted oil to the area, discounted at as much as 30%. I guess Chavez wants to make sure that he is not on the US Hit list, but, of course, he does own, or have a great interest in Citco in that area. Other countries have offered to send Doctors and a Hospital Ships and heavy helicopters. Of course, the proof is in the actual sighting of such help from these places. And, Canada has offered blankets.

...And, I can only imagine that the al Qaeda has offered assassination squads to help stop the looting in DT New Orleans. Of course, I am still waiting for Indonesia to kick in something...

yellowwing
09-01-05, 05:04 PM
Is anyone else seeing a deadly clusterf*ck going on?

The Mayor has little resources, his Police can't coordinate. The Governor just weeps on TV (useless cow). Federal Command and Control has communication problems with ground elements.

Where are our $100 million dollar Air Force planes that can coordinate 100s of assets from 30,000 feet?

GySgtRet
09-01-05, 05:15 PM
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET FRANCE....!!!!

Joseph P Carey
09-01-05, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by GySgtRet
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET FRANCE....!!!!

Forgetting France is the easiest thing that I can do!!! Even with this being a former French Colony in New Orleans, I would not expect France to help in any way. The motto of France is "What can you do for me?" Not, "What have you done for me?"

France may not realize it as of yet, but they are not out of the 'Honi Pot' yet, when it comes to terrorism! They may need us again, and I hope it is one of the Presidents in office that will tell them to talk with their enemy, because we aren't coming to their aid.

thedrifter
09-01-05, 07:33 PM
By The Associated Press
Military resources being sent to hurricane victims:
DEFENSE DEPARTMENT

• Total active duty and National Guard troops either in the Gulf Coast region or on the way: More then 40,000. Of that number, about 30,000 are Air and Army National Guard members.

• 583,000 cases of meals-ready-to-eat, which includes 6 million meals.

• 9 million pounds of ice.

• 200 cases of water.

• A 500-bed hospital at New Orleans International Airport.

NAVY

• 10 major Navy vessels, with about 7,700 active duty personnel are either in the Gulf Coast region or are en route. They include: The aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, which will be serving as a floating command center; the hospital ship USNS Comfort, amphibious ships, hovercraft, about two dozen helicopters, a search and salvage ship, and medical teams.

AIR FORCE

• Five Air Force helicopters from rescue wings in Georgia and Florida to help provide nighttime search and rescue missions.

• The 823rd Red Horse squadron with at least 100 troops and 15 vehicles loaded with tents, water and supplies, headed to Mississippi.

ARMY

• 24 transport helicopters from Fort Hood, Texas.

• 240 soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division.

MARINES

• Eight airlift helicopters, including six Super Stallions and two Sea Knights from North Carolina.

• Four Super Stallions from Pennsylvania.

• Four helicopters from Georgia and Louisiana.

• The 4th Amphibious Assault Battalion from Jacksonville, Fla., with eight Amphibious Assault Vehicles.

• Marines from Camp Lejeune, N.C., were preparing to go to help with humanitarian assistance.

Ellie

charlieshort
09-01-05, 07:39 PM
Now I might be stirring a pot that should be left alone, but, where are the big African American role models that need to go down there and show some good old fashion leadership, and pull everyone together. Where is big Al, where is Jesse, where is Louis? You can bet your butt, that when living conditions improve, they will show up with a giant soap box to stand on and tell the world what President Bush is doing wrong, and what he should have done. I don't want this to sound like I'm against black folks, cause I'm not. It is just that so many of those folk that are in a world of **** are black and it sure would be nice to see some black leadership.

OLE SARG
09-01-05, 07:52 PM
jesse jackoff couldn't lead you to water if it was raining!!!!!! What a waste of human flesh. I put him in the same category as ted kennedy.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

thedrifter
09-01-05, 07:53 PM
Fats Domino Missing in New Orleans
Sep 1, 12:37 PM EST

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn't been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

"I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven't got anybody that knows where he's at," said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. "I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony."

Checquoline Davis, Domino's niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven't been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame."

His 1950 recording of "The Fat Man" is sometimes called the first real rock 'n' roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-01-05, 07:54 PM
Boeing to Contribute $1 Million to American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina Relief; Will Match Employee Contributions

CHICAGO, Sept. 1, 2005 - The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] announced today that it will donate $1 million to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts and will match employee and retiree contributions to that organization through the company's Employees Community Fund. The match is dollar-for-dollar for employees and 50 cents-on-the-dollar for eligible employees retired from Boeing. It extends through September 26.

Employees all over the company responded soon after the scale and scope of the tragedy emerged, according to Toni Bailey, vice president, Boeing Community and Education Relations. "Our hearts go out to all who have been affected by this tragic event," she said. Bailey added that the company remains in close contact with the American Red Cross and will receive regular updates on the progress of relief efforts.

The Employees Community Fund of The Boeing Company is the world's largest employee-directed charitable organization, investing nearly $33 million per year in communities around the globe where Boeing employees live and work. Employees manage the funds locally at more than 50 Boeing sites and choose the community organizations that receive help.

Susan Birkholtz, Boeing World Headquarters, 312-544-2927

Ellie

mrbsox
09-01-05, 08:46 PM
So far, I've seen or heard VERY LITTLE about what the WORLD WIDE RELIEF EFFORT is sending our way. Just a couple of short posts in this thread.

Where is the U.N. ??

Hell.... lets pay Mexico $3.50 per man per hour to clean up the mess. (I mean take it off their bill)

WAKE UP AMERICA !! Maybe now the bleeding heart treehuggingpantiewaistscumsuckingdouchbags left wingers will see, that we need to take care of our own, not the rest of the world. Cause the rest of the world sure wont take care of us.

Yhea yhea... I know... it's still early.
I mean it's only been a week since she started her wind up punch on the gulf coast. 2 more days till she started ashore.
We knew it was coming.
Do you think the rest of the world has noticed... or cares !!

Any body got access to foreign news ??

There... that feels better !!

Phantom Blooper
09-01-05, 08:54 PM
treehuggingpantiewaistscumsuckingdouchbags left wingers

With words like that they should have been capitalized. Tell them Terry!:banana:

I like that I have to borrow that for one of my "Nasty Male" quotes one day.LOL!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

8th&I Marine
09-01-05, 09:42 PM
I was asked to by my mother if I wanted to help out in Lousiana do work for the red cross. Well being a fire fighter for the past 12 years I think I am going to pack my sea bag and go east. I know there is someone out there would do the same thing if this would have happened to Houston.

Semper Fi

Cantrell

Joseph P Carey
09-01-05, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 8th&amp;I Marine
I was asked to by my mother if I wanted to help out in Lousiana do work for the red cross. Well being a fire fighter for the past 12 years I think I am going to pack my sea bag and go east. I know there is someone out there would do the same thing if this would have happened to Houston.

Semper Fi

Cantrell

Bring your six-shooter ole buddy! I heard that a shipment of drugs was landing at a hospital in NO, and there were a hundred of the well armed creeps waiting for them. The helo did not land, but it took a bullet!

Truthfully, put a bounty of $25 each on the scumbags, and I would be there tomarrow, and make my year's wages in a week.

thedrifter
09-02-05, 09:20 AM
More N.C. troops leaving for hurricane area
By ANDREA WEIGL, Staff Writer

Military officials plan to deploy 16,000 more National Guard troops to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast to offer refugees relief and curb lawlessness, bringing the total military presence to 38,000.

Nearly 300 N.C. National Guard troops were to leave at 9 a.m. today, and about 120 Marines from the New River air station left Thursday. The New York Times reported that 3,500 soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, along with some 30 helicopters, were prepared to deploy on short notice. Army officials at Fort Bragg and the Pentagon would not confirm that late Thursday.

About 24,000 troops will be on the ground in Louisiana and Mississippi in the next three days, Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore said in a telephone interview with reporters at the Pentagon. He also ordered the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan from the Louisiana coast to waters off Biloxi, Miss., to assist with hurricane relief operations there, The Associated Press reported.

The situation in New Orleans has gotten increasingly desperate: 3,000 Guard troops, along with local and state law enforcement, have been unable to maintain order among the tens of thousands of restless refugees. Officials plan to send an additional 1,400 Guard troops daily for the next three days to New Orleans.

After the Marines at New River got word of their deployment Wednesday, they left in shifts, the last group departing at 9 a.m. Thursday, officials said. The Marines also took eight helicopters to help with search and rescue efforts.

"We were hoping for an order to be able to provide some relief," Lt. Col. Frank B. Crisafulli, the squadron's executive officer, said in a prepared statement Thursday.

About 100 N.C. Guard troops planned to fly out of Greensboro at 9 a.m. today, said Capt. Matt Handley, a Guard spokesman. The remaining troops would travel by land with equipment and supplies. The troops will work with the Louisiana National Guard, although where precisely they would be was unknown late Thursday, Handley said.

Earlier Thursday, Guard officials in Washington had said the troops would help rescue stranded refugees, provide assistance to the sick and injured, hand out supplies of food, water and ice, and provide traffic and crowd control.

The 30,000 National Guard troops deployed for the relief efforts equals more than half of the 58,000 Guard and Reserve troops currently in Iraq.

Earlier Thursday, officials told the AP that the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman was heading to the Gulf Coast to serve as a floating command center for Hurricane Katrina relief operations.

Staff writer Andrea Weigl can be reached at 829-4848 or aweigl@newsobserver.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-02-05, 09:21 AM
Will New Orleans Recover? <br />
<br />
Nicole Gelinas <br />
The City Journal <br />
Sep. 2, 2005 <br />
<br />
Weak and struggling before Katrina, the good-time city now teeters on the brink. <br />
<br />
It would be uplifting to write today...

thedrifter
09-02-05, 12:38 PM
Hospital Ship Mercy Being Sent To Gulf Coast
Ship's Last Deployment Was To Aid Tsunami Victims
UPDATED: 10:22 am PDT September 2, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Pentagon officials announce Friday that the USNS Mercy is preparing to deploy to the Gulf Coast to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Pentagon officials announce Friday that the USNS Mercy is preparing to deploy to the Gulf Coast to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina. The Mercy, which is based in San Diego, is the second Navy hospital ship directed to provide relief to victims of Hurricane Katrina. The ship will be ready to depart Sept. 7, according to officials. It will take about two weeks to complete the trip.

The Pentagon announcement that it was dispatching the hospital vessel came amid growing criticism that the federal government had responded too slowly to the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. President George W. Bush conceded Friday that the federal effort so far has been unacceptable.

Meanwhile, military service members from across the country were flowing into Louisiana and Mississippi to help meet the growing humanitarian needs of the hundreds of thousand of residents left homeless and hungry by Katrina.

Three trucks carrying water and 150,000 Meals-Ready-to-Eat were being distributed to refugees in the New Orleans Superdome, and military transport planes were scheduled to begin flying people from New Orleans to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas Friday. Altogether the military is sending 9.3 million MREs for refugees in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

In addition:

* 600 25,000-pound sandbags were delivered Thursday -- and another 200 bags were expected Friday -- to help shore up the broken levees around the city.
* Eight Marine transport helicopters with 70 Marines left North Carolina for the Gulf Coast, and 150 more will leave this weekend.
* Three trucks carrying drinking water were expected to arrive at the Superdome Friday.

The 1,000-bed ship was last deployed San Diego on Jan. 5, 2005, to help the victims of the tsunamis that swept across the Indian Ocean on Dec. 26, 2004.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-02-05, 06:48 PM
September 02, 2005 <br />
Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans <br />
By Joseph R. Chenelly <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
NEW ORLEANS — Combat operations are underway on the streets “to take this city back” in...

thedrifter
09-02-05, 06:59 PM
Hotlines connect service members to loved ones
By Karen Jowers
Times staff writer

Military families are among the victims of Hurricane Katrina, and the services and other organizations are reaching out to help.

Some families’ service members are deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan, or activated to help in the hurricane. The services have set up hotlines for family members to call and leave information about their whereabouts, and their welfare. In addition, service members or others can call to check on their family members.

“Anyone calling that number can give information or get information,” said Jack Harrison, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau, referring to that bureau’s toll-free number, which links to the family program office: 888-777-7731.

Communications are sparse in these areas, but officials will do their best to assist. Other toll-free numbers set up include:

• Navy Hurricane Information Helpline: 877-414-5358. Staffed 24 hours by active-duty Navy volunteers.

• Keesler Air Force Base Telephone Helpline: 800-435-9941.

Other resources include:

• Military OneSource, 800-342-9647, or www.militaryonesource.com, provides referral and resources and counseling.

• www.defenselink.mil

• Federal Emergency Management Administration, www.fema.gov.

• Next of Kin Registry, nokr.org, designed to help if you or your family member is missing, injured or deceased.

• American Red Cross, www.redcross.org

The Veterans of Foreign Wars, www.vfw.org, has launched a donation campaign to help victims of the hurricane, including military families. “Many of the National Guard, Air National Guard and reservists in the affected areas are deployed,” said VFW National Commander James R. Mueller in a prepared statement. “It is heart-breaking for those families who have loved ones deployed to have to cope with such a disaster by themselves. It also is a tragic situation for those service men and women who are deployed thousands of miles away from the disaster and are unable to contribute any help to their suffering families. …. The VFW must go to extraordinary means to ensure our troops that we will take care of their families while they are deployed.”

Donation checks to the VFW should be clearly marked for disaster relief, and sent to:

• Precilla Wilkewitz, Adjutant; Department of Louisiana, VFW, 10185 Mammoth Avenue; G Baton Rouge, LA 70814-4421; or

• Johnnie L. Richard, Adjutant, Department of Mississippi, VFW, P.O. Box 2027, Jackson, MS, 39225; or

• Travis E. Whaley, Adjutant, Department of Alabama, VFW, P.O. Box 231177, Montgomery, AL, 36123-1177.

The American Legion’s 24-hour family assistance hotline, 800-504-4098, is available, but as of Sept. 1 officials were having trouble reaching their posts in the affected areas, said spokesman Joe March.

The Legion was scheduled to begin offering $1,500 grants from their national emergency fund to Legion members for displacement costs, on the afternoon of Sept. 2. A number of active-duty members in the affected areas are Legion members, March said. The toll- free number is 800-433-3318; applications can be made at www.legion.org. The fund was established in 1969 in the wake of Hurricane Camille. March said they intend to turn around requests quickly, within hours, to help with lodging, food and other costs. The money can be deposited to a credit card, or wired directly to a hotel, upon approval.

Ellie

Rebsmarine1996
09-02-05, 08:08 PM
Checking in From Alabama.... All is well here.... My Husband( Camshaft.... for those who have met him in Chat) is In Mississippi with his National Guard unit, and My Brother Who is in the Marines( Barnball) said he will most likely be on his way to New Orleans By the end of this weekend. I am holding down the Fort here with My three little ones Counting so Many Blessings right now, and Praying for the safety of my loved ones as they answer the calls for help.
Semper Fideles,
Rebs

Old Marine
09-03-05, 08:17 AM
Sure hope the Red Cross is doing a better job than they did in 1953 in Korea. We had an alert that the North Koreans were crossing the Imjin River into the south and therefor we spent four days and three nights in the Tank Park living in fighting holes to protect our assets. The Red Cross (God bless them) went to our mess hall, got doughnuts and proceeded to sell them to us.

Since that time I have had no use for the Red Cross.

Joseph P Carey
09-03-05, 03:51 PM
You do know that is funny! It is true, but it is funny! <br />
<br />
When I was being transported back to the USA from Vietnam, the last time I was hit, the C130 I was on stopped in Fairbanks I think, as I was...

Old Marine
09-04-05, 09:17 AM
Most military people know where the Red Cross can go.

yellowwing
09-04-05, 04:23 PM
Police Shoot 8 on New Orleans Bridge (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050904/ap_on_re_us/katrina_shootings_hk1)
Associated Press 4 September 2005
NEW ORLEANS - Police shot eight people carrying guns on a New Orleans bridge Sunday, killing five or six of them, a deputy chief said.

Deputy Police Chief W.J. Riley said the shootings took place on the Danziger Bridge, which connects Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River.

He said he had no other details.

Outstanding! A little backing and firepower is doing wonders for the NOPD.

nc.gal
09-04-05, 04:53 PM
I was shocked as how the American Red Cross treated you Marines. I always thought they "helped" , rather than selling back to you. Sure hope this is not their policey today. What do they do with all the "money" that is donated to them!!!! Hopefully they aren't buying food and water and re-selling it in chow lines. Think I'll support the Salvation Army from now on.

Joseph P Carey
09-04-05, 07:21 PM
The truth is, when the Red Cross assists any people in a state for any disaster, when all is said and done, they bill the state for their services to their residents.

mrbsox
09-04-05, 08:39 PM
I've been on the receiving end of the Red Cross before, after an apartment fire put 10 families on the street, us included.

Throughout the ordeal, we found out that ALL of the donations that were put out by the community go into a central fund. ALl of the 'gifts' from the RC are under a preset structure of stuff. You get NO CASH, but VOUCHERS for stuff, good at most Dept stores like K or Wal marts.

I felt 'ILL' towards the R.C. for a long time, but have since determined that they do a better 'STRUCTURED' job of taking care of peoples needs. They ARE NOT there to get you back on your feet, just help you start over, yourself.

I give to the Red Cross, as well as the Salvation Army. I think they BOTH have there specific 'nitch' where they excell.

But... just help ONE of these organizations help out the gulf coast. It don't matter which one.

Terry

Old Marine
09-05-05, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Police Shoot 8 on New Orleans Bridge (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050904/ap_on_re_us/katrina_shootings_hk1)
Associated Press 4 September 2005
NEW ORLEANS - Police shot eight people carrying guns on a New Orleans bridge Sunday, killing five or six of them, a deputy chief said.

Deputy Police Chief W.J. Riley said the shootings took place on the Danziger Bridge, which connects Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River.

He said he had no other details.

Outstanding! A little backing and firepower is doing wonders for the NOPD.

Saw on the news that these locals were firing at the engineers that were in the process of repairing the breeched levee.

Ed Palmer
09-05-05, 09:50 AM
Three tons of food ready for delivery by air to refugees in St. Bernard Parish and on Algiers Point sat on the Crescent City Connection bridge Friday afternoon as air traffic was halted because of President Bush’s visit to New Orleans," the Times-Picayune reports.

Ed Palmer
09-05-05, 09:52 AM
I don't know if the Red Cross story is true or not, I hope it is. But as someone with no love for the Red Cross I'm glad it's about time that somone else reconizes the Red Cross for what it is.

A money sucking organization that fattens itself first and any crumbs left over, well maybe.

Giving money to the Red Cross to parapharse Sen Jessie Helms, it's "...like throwing money down a rat hole".

GunnyL
09-05-05, 12:11 PM
The Red Cross does an excellent job of getting help where it's needed. When you give to the Red Cross, you have a choice of which fund you are giving to. You can specify Hurricane Relief 2005 when you give your donation. You can also choose to put it in the National Fund and any other disaster specific funds you choose to donate to.
On a National Level, I only give to the Red Cross and Salvation Army and on an International scale, I only give to the Red Cross and CARE. Of all the Relief Operations I've been on, the Red Cross / Red Crescent (Muslim Equivalent) were always onsite providing Relief and CARE was always there in force as well. Also, you need to look at the Overhead that is taken out of your funds so you know how much of your dollar actually goes to help victims and how much goes to operational expenses. If CARE is going to be in the Hurricane Relief here, I would donate money to them as well, I believe 98 cents of every dollar given to care actually goes to help the people you are sending aid to.
When I was living in Grand Forks North Dakota as a Teenager, we had to deal with the Red River overflowing levees every year there was excessive snow fall. The Red Cross was always onsite both working and providing food and comfort items to the victims and the volunteers working to sandbag homes and reinforce the dykes and levees. I've seen them in action and I like what I've seen. They also provide classes on CPR and other emergency response functions to communities Nationwide.

GunnyL

Sgtj
09-11-05, 02:33 PM
Ok ya'll I'm back, I'll send some updates and maybe some photo's ASAP, I haven't had time to read all the msg's but I will. Thanks for all your support Marines.

Semper Fi.

Keith (SGTJ)

Joseph P Carey
09-11-05, 03:55 PM
Welcome back Sgt J, we were worried about you!

yellowwing
09-11-05, 05:08 PM
Outstanding Sgt J. We were worried a bit, but we knew a Cat 3 couldn't keep you down.

Seriously Bro, let us know if you need anything. Don't be bashful, we know you'd do the same for us.

Semper Fidelis!

CHOPPER7199
09-11-05, 05:28 PM
HMM, RED CROSS, I CAN REMEMBER BEING PAID AND THE HAND WAS OUT FOR DONATIONS FOR THE RED CROSS, GIVE NO MONEY GET NO LIBERTY. ANYONE ELSE GO THRU THAT?

Sgtj
09-11-05, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure what the winds regestered when it hit, but locals say we had sustained winds of 135 here in Ocean Springs (7 miles from Biloxi). I think it slammed MS coast at a high Cat. IV. (144mph). I'm sure the pictures speak for themselves. Thanks again everyone. Life is still hectic hear, just now getting back online, but we are very thankfull, half of the poeple I work with lost there homes and are homless. A few close freinds also lost their homes. Its very sad down here. I did run into a retired Marine Colonel that just moved to Ocean Springs. He and my father-in-law (a retired Navy Commander) were flying planes out of our local airport to make them operational.

As I tell everyone I talk to..."We are fine down here, it is the Men and Women defending our great Nation that need ours upport." SF