PDA

View Full Version : Slain Marine's dad keeps his promise

yellowwing
08-26-05, 01:29 PM
He attends unit's homecoming, hears how son lifted squad
07:33 PM CDT on Monday, August 15, 2005
Associated Press - Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/081605dnnatreturn.cdf8df3.html)

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – John Prazynski stood in the sea of welcome home signs and wondered why he was there.

His son, Lance Cpl. Taylor Prazynski, wasn't going to be among the 900 Marines from the 3rd Battalion who arrived home Sunday. Taylor Prazynski, 20, was killed May 9 from an insurgent mortar shell.

But the father had promised his son he would attend the homecoming, so he rode his Harley-Davidson more than 650 miles from Hamilton, Ohio, to Camp Lejeune.

"I don't have any sort of agenda. I guess I want to thank his brothers for being there for him, and thank his friends for being his friends," Mr. Prazynski said.

The 900 Marines had spent seven months in Anbar province, the most dangerous territory for U.S. troops in Iraq. It was there that the unit lost nine Marines, killed in action, and about 150 wounded. That's odds of one in six of being wounded, one in 100 of being killed.

As late as last week, Mr. Prazynski was thinking about staying home so he wouldn't make a happy occasion somber for the other Marines and their families. But Taylor Prazynski's company commander had called and told him that he should be there.

So about 8:15 p.m. Sunday, when a cheer went up from the crowd and it surged forward, Mr. Prazynski hung back.

"These Marines walking around, I've done a double-take three or four times," he said. "The build is the same."

He followed a mother there to meet her son over to a crowd where a half-dozen Marines from Lima Company hugged family members. He waited and then someone told the Marines who he was. One after another, they stepped forward to embrace him.

"Your son lifted us," said Taylor Prazynski's squad leader, Sgt. Craig Corsi. "He was an awesome, awesome Marine."

Mr. Prazynski's soft voice faded with emotion.

"I appreciate you guys, and what you did."

hrscowboy
08-26-05, 03:22 PM
Awesome just totally Awesome.. Semper Fi...

radio relay
08-26-05, 04:09 PM
Outstanding!

That Father is the real, authentic voice of the people who have lost loved ones in this war. Where is the gutless scum of the left when people like him are doing simple things that honor the sacrifice of their children?

I am so sorry for his son's death, his loss, and that of every American family that suffers in the same way. I am also so, so grateful to them!! We had better not dishonor the heart break of these families, and sacrifice of their loved ones, by failing to see this war through to the end!!!

yellowwing
08-26-05, 04:42 PM
"I don't have any sort of agenda....Mr. Prazynski's soft voice faded with emotion.

"I appreciate you guys, and what you did."
That's enough for me. Semper Fi Mr. Prazynski

GySgtRet
08-26-05, 04:50 PM
Not to bring a negative into the picture but Ms Shehann could learn a lot from this father. How unselfish he is to have done this on a promise after loosing his son. Mr. Prazynski, thank you....!!

Outstanding...!!!!

Semper Fidelis