PDA

View Full Version : Diners have sweet surprise for soldier, girlfriend

thedrifter
08-26-05, 06:17 AM
Diners have sweet surprise for soldier, girlfriend
By Susan Gilmore
Seattle Times staff reporter

When Chris Yanez wanted to take his girlfriend out for a special dinner to celebrate their one-year anniversary, he chose the venerable restaurant Canlis, perched high above Lake Union.

Yanez, a soldier returning from Iraq, knew the dinner would be pricey. What he didn't expect is that it would be free. And he also didn't expect that when he walked out, the place would be in tears.

Before going to dinner Wednesday night, Yanez, a reservist who spent a year in Iraq as a machine-gunner, put on his green dress Army uniform, the one he was proud to wear. With his girlfriend, Liz Coleman, on his arm, he walked into Canlis, where owner Mark Canlis found the couple a special table with a panoramic view of the lake and the city.

"I was a captain in the Air Force, so I have a soft spot there," Canlis said.

A few minutes later, a man at a nearby table — who wanted to remain anonymous — walked up to the restaurant owner. "I was noticing the young soldier and saw them looking at the menu," he told Canlis. "I know he was looking at prices and I know this is a special thing, so I would like to take care of part of their bill."

Then another family, the Greenbergs, said they, too, wanted to help pay for the meal. By the end of the night several patrons had, unknown to Yanez, offered to pay for the young couple's meal. With Canlis also sharing the costs, the $150 bill evaporated.

Yanez and Coleman were sharing a peach-cobbler dessert when Canlis walked up with a piece of molten chocolate lava cake.

"There's folks in this restaurant who don't think you should have to share a dessert," Canlis told the couple. "And they don't think you should pay the bill."

Coleman burst into in tears. Tana Greenberg, whose family helped pay the bill, said she, like several other patrons, was wiping her eyes.

"This brought out the patriotism in all of us," she said. "It was just the right thing to do. We're sending our kids over there and they're dying to uphold our beliefs. We just said this couple should not have to buy their meals. It was showing our belief in the uniform and what it stands for."

Yanez, 20, a student from Renton, said he was stunned by the gesture.

"I knew Canlis was expensive, but this is a one-of-a-kind restaurant and this was a special occasion," he said. "It was the greatest thing ever. It makes me feel like people appreciate the troops and they care about people in the community. I was in shock and my girlfriend started to cry. It was really emotional."

Canlis said his grandfather, who spent 39 years in the Marines, once told him that he should never let a soldier in uniform into his restaurant without being taken care of.

He said it's not the first time in recent months that returning troops have been honored at Canlis. Several months ago a man came in with his wife to treat her to a special dinner to make up for the two years he had spent in Iraq. The entire Canlis crew decided to pay the bill.

"That's what makes it fun for us," Canlis said, "being able to take care of people in a special way."

Susan Gilmore: 206-464-2054 or sgilmore@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

Ellie

thedrifter
08-26-05, 09:04 PM
Free meal gift to soldier strikes a chord with readers

The story in today's Seattle Times about Canlis restaurant patrons' paying for the dinner for returning Iraq soldier Chris Yanez struck a chord with many readers. Here is a sampling of their e-mails:

"Beautiful story. A much needed change from the usual headlines. Thank you for writing that story - it made my day."
Christopher Z.

"It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for brightening my day."
The Rev. Dr. Kendall S. Harmon, Canon Theologian, Summerville, S.C.

"What a beautiful story. We need more, good, positive news like that. It made my morning."
Andrew T.

"Thank you for this article. It brought tears to my eyes. My husband is in the military and it is nice to see such positive responses to a man in uniform amid all of the protesting that is being covered in the media."
Sandra L.

"Thank you for sharing this story. We know this drama is played out somewhere every day. It speaks to the appreciation and graciousness of the American people. In a time when negative journalism seems to be the norm it is heart warming when one notices the small and ordinary gestures which make our country so extraordinary."
Jesse A., Wilsonville, Ore.

"Thank you very much for that wonderful and beautiful story about the young soldier, Chris Yanez and his lovely girl friend, who waited for him, back here at home."
Liz C.

"We need more stories like this on the front page of the Seattle Times.Thank you for the wonderful article in today's paper on the young soldier and his girlfriend. That made my day. It was the right thing for the patrons to do, and they did not disappoint. Again, thank you."
Pete

"Thank you , Now I am in tears after reading this article. I am the proud father of Chris and I thank you for bringing this to the attention of people as it really shows the American fiber."
God bless,
Rodrigo M Yañez

"This was a great article, I love to see these in the newspapers, it makes me think there is still appreciation for our military. There are so many bad stories in general in the newspapers that I don't take it anymore. kudos to you for such a refreshing story. Kudos to the restaurant and their patrons as well."
Sam G.

"I just read the story about the young soldier who had his bill picked up by the patrons at Canlis. It made my day. Thank you for writing this story. A rose of good news amongst all the thorns."
Brandon H.

"What a refreshing story!! It brought tears to my eyes to read the story about people reaching out helping others and appreciating the sacrifices the young soldier made so that we may all live freely. Sometimes I think people forget that if it were not for innumerable men and women like Chris Yanez none of us would get to enjoy the bountiful blessings we have in life. God bless all of those wonderful people, in our military, in the restaurant, and around the world who just extend a hand to help one another."
Kimberly B.

"Your story brought back a memory of my R and R in Hawaii with my husband who was on leave from Vietnam. At the time he was a Navy Corpsman serving with the 3rd Marines Division. We were having dinner, on our last night in Honolulu, at Duke Kahanamoko's. We chatted with a few people in line while we waited for our table. To be honest, we were watching the bill pretty carefully, as our funds were running low. A photographer came over to the table and snapped a picture, but both of us knew we wouldn't be able to afford the photograph. As the dinner ended our waitress came over to tell us our bill had been settled by the group (Lions Club from Philadelphia). They waved and disappeared into the crowd, leaving us shocked and grateful for their kindness. I have those photos, which I could buy, to remind me of their generosity. I often wish I could tell them that my husband made it back safely, wounded several times but safe. So now when we see military out at dinner we 'pay it forward' and take care of their checks. Its a small thing for us, but we both remember how special that kindness was during the turmoil of the VietNam war. Thank you for your article, it was great to see that people are as generous today as they were so many years ago."
Diana M.

"I would suggest this will be one of the best-read stories in today's paper (and online). In my 25-plus years in newspapers we referenced these as tear-jerkers and I must admit my eyes were moist about half way through the story."
John Irby, Associate Professor/Journalism & Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
Edward R. Murrow School of Communication
Washington State University

"I was on a Delta flight to Atlanta about two weeks ago. An elderly man gave his first class ticket to another man dressed in an Army uniform. The elderly man flew to Atlanta in coach. I wish we could hear more and more of these stories."
Adam H.

"Thank you so very much for your article about the diners who paid for the meal Chris Yanez and his girlfriend enjoyed at the Canlis restaurant. Our hearts were touched as we recognized in this act of appreciation to and gratitude for the military, the real America we have known all our lives, but which is typically ignored by the media. It was indeed encouraging to read your fine article about this heartfelt, patriotic American expression of appreciation to this young man, and by extension, the entire military, rather than reading once again the all-too-often negative, unfamiliar and unrealistic media portrayal of America, as well as, the patriotism of typical Americans. Thanks again for this true glimpse of America's heart."
J. W.

"I am writing to you from San Diego, Ca. A friend sent me your story about Canlis paying for meals of returning soldiers. It was well written and very touching. Great job. It brought tears to my eyes. It was so uplifting to read a story that expressed the gratitude to these young, volunteer soldiers who have been fighting for the beliefs of the Western world. I hope you continue to find stories like this. I prefer this to more stories about murder, rape and violence that is senseless. I am sending your story to all of my friends. Camp Pendleton is a few miles from here and we are all proud of our Marines. Glad to see that you are too."
Vera C.Rancho, Santa Fe, Calif.

"Thank you for the wonderful story. It is very heartening to to be reminded that people care."
Duane S., Seattle

"Just a letter of thanks for Canlis and his restaurant. I think they should all get a well done.I am so happy to see a soldier get the respect he deserves at the restaurant. For get politics and honor our military. They deserve it."
Art B., Napavine, Wash.

"Hats off to the Canlis crew and their patrons for taking such good care of our military. Canlis is and always has been a class act! Thank you to you for writing this story. We need community support for the military and for how they protect us and fight for our freedoms."
Mary Lou E.

"My first wife (now deceased) and I went to a very expensive restaurant in New York for our first wedding anniversary. Although neither one of us was from there, me Michigan my wife Florida. The maitre'd seated us at a special table near the floor show. The next thing we knew drinks were coming our way and when we ordered our dinner the waiter said welcome home soldier (from Korea) and tore up the bill. Today when I see a military person I go up to them and shake their hand and thank them for being there."
Tom R., Winter Park, Fla.

"The story I read about this two patrons at Canlis restaurant was very touching to me. It was so touching that it made my eyes tear up half way into the story. I would like to send many thanks to Mr. Canlis and the other contributing patrons for the heart warming gesture they showed towards the service member and his date. That is a very nice way of showing how we can support our troops."
Greg D., USNR-Retired

"News like this should be the lead story every night or every day. This makes me proud of the people of Seattle, and of the men and women in uniform."

Thanks,

Kevin

"Now that was an excellent article that was certainly a tear jerker! Nice work with a positive story of true support for a true hero. I spent my 18th and 19th birthdays in Vietnam with a US Army air cavalry unit, and despite the fact that no one has ever disrespected me in the last 34 years, I must admit that I never got a free meal when I was in uniform! It would have been welcome, but I would not have known how to react other than with a heart felt "thank you."
Peter R., Keene, NH

Ellie