PDA

View Full Version : Marine veteran motivates at Cherry Point’s hospital

thedrifter
08-24-05, 07:43 AM
Marine veteran motivates at Cherry Point’s hospital
MCAS Cherry Point
Story by Lance Cpl. Cullen J. Tiernan

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (Aug. 24, 2005) -- “Good morning, Marine!” shouts Chuck Miller, a retired master gunnery sergeant, from the greeting desk at Halyburton Naval Hospital Cherry Point, where he begins his work as a Red Cross volunteer at 5:30 a.m. every Wednesday.

“I’m here to greet people and help point them in the right direction,” said Miller, as he shares a joke with an old friend who has come to visit. “When a buddy of mine passed away, I volunteered to take his place here. That was three years ago, but it feels like just yesterday.”

Miller, who spent 31 years in the Marine Corps, fought during the Korean War, served two tours in Vietnam, one tour in the Dominican Republic and seven tours at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

“Before Castro took over, Cuba was good liberty,” said Miller, between his continually motivated shouts of, “Good morning, Marine.”
“I have a ball working here,” he said. “I joke around, and just try to make everyone feel good and help them out.”

Miller is part of a Red Cross volunteer force 39-strong, whose workers can be found throughout the Air Station.

“When I think of Chuck, the first word that comes to mind is faithful,” said Linda Eldredge, the chairman of the Red Cross Volunteers, who has worked at Cherry Point for more than 30 years. “He is always cheerful and super friendly. I have people tell me how nice it is to be greeted with a friendly face. He was a good Marine and he is a good volunteer.”

Miller said that ever since becoming a Marine, he has consistently woken up at 3 or 4 a.m. every morning. He served in Korea as a “grunt” and quickly recalls freezing in snow-covered foxholes.

“I’ve been 39 (years old) for 35 years,” joked Miller, flashing a bright smile, that suggests he is still young at heart. “After Korea, I wanted to get some schooling. So the Marine Corps sent me to jump school in Quantico, Va. I jumped for 20 years.”

Miller then went on to become a parachute rigger and both a Group and Wing maintenance chief. He said he served at Cherry Point five times, and was frequently deployed.

“There is a difference in the atmosphere when you are greeted by him,” said Kelly Cundiff, assistant public affairs officer at the hospital. “(Miller) has a great personality and knows how to treat all people. He’s definitely a positive reflection on the hospital.”

Miller’s presence seems to be appreciated by many of the patrons of the hospital, as some of his old friends come to hug him, and young Marines reply with enthusiasm to his morning motivation.

“I want to work here for 20 or 30 (more) years. As long as I’m capable and the pay remains the same, I’ll be here,” jokes Miller. “It makes me mad they wouldn’t let me go to Desert Storm or participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Headquarters Marine Corps may say I’m too old, but I don’t believe them.”

Ellie