PDA

View Full Version : South Korean PUC

genedixon
08-22-05, 09:08 AM
During the first year of the Korean war 1950 - 1951, the Marine Corps units received four U.S Presidential Unit Citations. They also received a Republic of South Korea Presidential Unit Citation. I have the texts of the four US Presidential Unit Citations, but have not been able to find the text for the Republic of South Korea Presidential Unit Citation. I would appreciate any help from anyone knowing what the text of the citation was.

Ed Palmer
08-22-05, 09:41 AM
On April 24 1951, 16 Field Regiment took part in the Battle of Kapyong in support of the Australians, thereby halting a Chinese advance. The Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to 16 Fd Regt for its service in the Battle of Kapyong.

SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENTIAL CITATION
November 1, 1951
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION

The President of the Republic of Korea takes profound pleasure
in citing
for exceptionally meritorious service and heroism
THE 16TH FIELD REGIMENT
ROYAL NEW ZEALAND ARTILLERY
for the award of
THE PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION

This Unit joined the United Nations Forces in Korea at the beginning of the year and has given outstanding support, firstly to the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade, later to the 28th British Commonwealth Brigade, and since the formation of 1st British Commonwealth Division as part of that Division. Its performance in the April enemy offensive merits the highest praise. Two Batteries were initially forward in support of 6 Republic of Korea Division and these were skilfully withdrawn to join the balance of the Regiment in a new position which 27th British Commonwealth Brigade had been ordered to hold at all costs. Throughout the battle during the nights of 23rd and 24th April and all day of 24 April it operated its guns ceaselessly and efficiently and played an important part in the holding of the position.

[signed] Syngman Rhee

Ed Palmer
08-22-05, 09:51 AM
During the Korean War, the 501st participated in six campaigns and by the end of the war. July 27, 1953, it had received the Meritorious Unit Citation of the United States Army and the Republic of Korea's Presidential Unit Citation.

Ed Palmer
08-22-05, 09:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/RepKoreaPresUnitCit1.jpg
Republic of Korea
Presidential Unit
Citation

genedixon
08-22-05, 10:03 AM
Ed, thanks for your information regarding the Korean PUC citation , However I am looking for the citation text for the Marine unit. I suppose the text would be familar. I want to post the citations for the Marines on my web site where I have the 4 US PUC's listed.

Ed Palmer
08-23-05, 09:43 AM
go here and look it covers a lot of ground

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=AS5&q=Korean+PUC+citation

genedixon
08-24-05, 03:50 PM
I found a place that I obtained the all six of the Republic of South Korea Presidential Unit Citations awarded to Marine units during the Korean War.

These have the Korean text with the English typed over them are in a frame.

Gene Dixon