PDA

View Full Version : The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Sixguns
11-03-02, 09:12 AM
Friends,

I recently made my request for retirement. Following the approval of my request, I began making arrangements for my retirement. With my terminal leave and permissive TAD, it looks like I will have my ceremony on May 9, 2003. It's not written in stone yet. I still need to make arrangements for an officer to officiate my ceremony. In a few weeks I take the next steps in the process of retiring. My final physical, retirement/separations briefs and the list of other tasks associated with hanging up my cartridge belt. For my fellow Marines who have already experienced this evolution, I welcome your advice.

SF,

wrbones
11-03-02, 10:34 AM
and jump through all their hoops! Ya might end up screwed down the road if don't when ya apply fer benifits.

Congratulations on a job well done Marine.

firstsgtmike
11-03-02, 01:58 PM
I feel obliged to respond, lest you feel your request was ignored.
However, I have nothing constructive to say.

I did the required processing when I retired, waived any ceremonial "rights", went on terminal leave, and had my retirement papers sent to me.

That suited ME, but may not be the same for others.

The best advice I can give, which is redundant to a Marine, is to think ahead, plan ahead, and do it.

You're entitled to a PCS move. If your future plans involve a move, consider the time frame and who will pay for it.

Most of YOUR career was spent in the Recruiting Service, which I consider to be the most effective and rewarding time of MY career. From that perspective, I want to say, Thank You Marine, for taking care of MY Corps.

It may sound self-serving, but I will say without shame, recruiters are the unsung heroes of our Corps.

Semper Fi