PDA

View Full Version : Those God damn Marines...

thedrifter
08-20-05, 07:41 AM
Those G o d d a m n Marines...

By Lt. Col. David W. Szelowski USMCR (Ret.)

I wonder how many times during Operation Iraqi Freedom that the phrase "******* Marines" was uttered? Even in the best of times, Army and Air Force officers have been heard muttering some epithet about Marines, invoking either heaven or hell. Interestingly enough, we Marines find it all rather reassuring and, at times, amusing.

Most of the time, Marines do not go out of our way to be obnoxious; we are just doing what Marines have done for over 200 years. A good example is the fact that Marines always raise the American flag over mountains or cities they have conquered. From Mt. Suribachi to the City of Hue, to Kuwait City to Baghdad, U.S. Marines have raised the Stars and Stripes-in the latter examples, much to the chagrin of higher headquarters. You don't get these kinds of problems with the Army. So what is it about the U.S. Marines that they stick U.S. flags on everything and do more with less, a less that is either old or an army hand-me-down? We call it Esprit de Corps, but it goes deeper than that. We learn and maintain myths of the past, which also means living up to those historical examples. Marine Corps boot camp is the longest of the services; it is where we mold young men and women into the mythical image called a Marine. You can be in the Army, you can join the Air Force, but you become a Marine. All of the other uniformed services have songs; the U.S. Marines have a hymn.

The basic pattern of Marine Corps uniforms comes from the late nineteenth century; our emblem "the Eagle, Globe and Anchor" has remained largely unchanged since 1868. The buttons on our dress blues, whites and greens date back to the founding of our Corps. The Marine Corps is the only service that requires its officers to carry a sword, whose pattern dates back to 1805.

I think that the path of being a Marine was established long ago. On the 10th of November 1775, the Marine Corps was first established...in a tavern. To this day, no matter where in the world, Marines celebrate the founding of our beloved Corps, much to the confusion of the other services.

A few years ago, a congresswoman from Colorado felt that the Marine Corps was radical and extreme. She contended that the Marine Corps was not politically correct, nor did we seem to be part of the Department of Defense's transition to a "kinder and gentler" military. She was correct, and the Marine Corps took it as a compliment.

But the proof is in the doing, and during Iraqi Freedom the Marines demonstrated what Marines can do. I watched with some amusement as a reporter asked a young lance corporal about being in Iraq and under rifle fire. "Love it, sir!" was his response. The reporter was taken aback and asked, "No, really." The Marine then tried to explain that this is what he was trained to do, he looked forward to doing it and was now happy to be doing it. No doubt in boot camp he was told that he was "a minister of death praying for war." Contrast that with the poor U.S. Army Apache pilots who said that if they had to take life, they would do so reluctantly. You are either a warrior or you are not.

Read more
http://p089.ezboard.com/fthefontmanscommunityfrm22.showMessage?topicID=747 3.topic

Ellie

MarineMom5
08-20-05, 10:51 AM
Awesome!

cmg223
08-20-05, 11:30 AM
HEHHEH Cool!!

MillRatUSMC
08-20-05, 12:47 PM
Many have said words on the valor of the Marine Corps, yet I found this few words having more meaning to me than any other words.
From Silent Warrior by Charles Henderson

"Here they faced an enemy,
who held terrian entrenched in holes and tunnels.
Success weighed on a balance,
Tipped by the courage of Marines--
youngsters just out of their teens--
Whose valor would take them
Well beyond those measures
That determine the call of duty."

Unquote

These were Marines in Vietnam, the year doesn't matter, because those words could have been said many times over, where ever we gone to fight.
Was it Espirit De Corps?
No, I think it was one Marine covering another Marine back or "6" aka (rear end).

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

BOOGIEMAN44
08-20-05, 05:58 PM
WELL PUT, LIKE THEY SAY, "NOT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, THE BEST BECOME MARINES" AND THE ONLY ONE'S WHO DON'T LIKE IT, HAVE ALREADY JOINED THE ARMY AND AIR FORCE...

Joseph P Carey
08-21-05, 03:17 AM
I remember being in the 8th Marines when the story of the battles on the Plain of Jars was being written of in the newspapers, and we, to a man, knew what was on the horizon for us. There was a little more bounce in our step, a little more umpf in our training, and little more seriousness about doing the simple tasks of a Marine.

As one man said, "It is a little War, but it is a war, and that is what we are trained to do! I'll be glad to get out of Garrison duties and do what we must do!"

That little war was Vietnam! And, though we gripped about our circumstances, the bad food, the living on the ground, and the being wet from sun-up to sun-up, when sun could be seen, we were in our element, and that was all right with us! It is all part of being a Marine! It was what we were trained to do, and we did it better than anyone!