PDA

View Full Version : Standing on his own 2 feet … with the help of a few Marines

thedrifter
08-19-05, 01:00 PM
Standing on his own 2 feet … with the help of a few Marines
MCB Camp Lejeune
Story by Sgt. Jerad W. Alexander

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Aug. 18, 2005) -- To any casual observer visiting the F-11A pistol and battlesight zero range here, 1st Lt. Charles E. Hayter, a 26-year-old native of Billings, Mont., looks like any run-of-the-mill platoon commander… standing, watching over his Marines as they zero their rifles before they deploy to Iraq.

A closer examination might reveal otherwise, but it would have to be a real close observation. The only telltale sign would be the tightness of one boot over the other and it’s rigid appearance, because inside that boot exists a prosthetic. Hayter, platoon commander for the Mobile Assault Platoon, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, has no right foot.

On July 9, 2004, Weapons Platoon, Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, led by then-2nd Lt. Hayter, left the perimeter at Bagram Airbase, Afghanistan, to investigate the sight where a U.S. Army patrol received fire the day prior.

“We moved about seven [kilometers] northeast of Bagram and established a [Vehicle Check Point] for a while, we then mounted up and moved to where the firefight took place,” said Hayter.

At the supposed spot where the previous day’s fighting took place, they found what seemed to be a well-traveled foot trail, according to Hayter.

“We dismounted the Humvee’s and swept up the trail, four Marines on the left and four on the right. I made it about 15 feet and stepped on an Italian toe popper,” he said.

An Italian toe-popper is a small anti-personnel landmine. The mine shredded his foot and immediately cauterized the wound.

“It hurt like you wouldn’t believe,” said Hayter.

After the detonation, Hayter remained standing. He slowly turned around, sat down and gathered his wits about him.

At this point, the Marines around him, though constantly vigil before the explosion, took control. The Marines in the patrol immediately established security and began clearing the way for mines to Hayter to get him medical attention and evacuate him. One of his lance corporals called in for the medical evacuation, or Medevac, according to Hayter.

The whole process of getting Hayter back to Bagram Airbase was conducted professionally and quickly. According to Hayter, the 30-minute drive to get to where he was wounded took the Marines about eight minutes on the return trip.

“Things were done as they were supposed to be. My Marines did it right,” he said.

Once back at Bagram, he immediately went in to surgery and soon after was evacuated to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.

“At Germany, I had some [camouflage utilities] with me and got a hold of some crutches and went and sought out other wounded Marines,” said Hayter.

Meeting the wounded Marines, most coming out of Iraq, served as a huge element of motivation for Hayter, he said.

After spending roughly four days in Germany, he was further evacuated to the United States, namely Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. At Andrews, he again sought out Marines and teamed up with a sergeant. At one point during his stay at Andrews, Hayter and the sergeant came across a wounded Marine who cut a Mohawk in his hair, a definite breach of regulations.

“I just looked at the sergeant who knew exactly what I meant. The sergeant went over and squared the Marine away. Good order and discipline existed among the wounded,” he said.

He arrived back at Camp Lejeune soon after and was promoted to first lieutenant as well as received countless visits from various Marines aboard base including Brig. Gen. Mastin M. Robeson, currently the III Marine Expeditionary Force deputy commanding general.

However, the newly promoted Hayter had a decision to make.

“Everyone was talking to me about medical retirement and what my options are after the Marines Corps. At [Naval Medical Center Portsmouth] I met a Navy SEAL who had had a limb amputated but was working toward going back on full duty with a SEAL Team and deployed with them. That’s when I decided to stay in the Marines,” Hayter explained.

His foot, however, was still a concern. He still had his heel and after numerous reconstructive surgeries would still be able to keep his foot. The other option given to him was amputation at mid-shin. The recovery time would be faster and would get him back to work just as fast.

Hayter did what most people would abhor, he opted for amputation.

After spending only nine days at Portsmouth, he returned to Camp Lejeune and checked in to the 6th Marine Regimental Headquarters and immediately went to conducting his own physical training… getting back in shape.

“When I would go to the gym, other Marines would come up to me and say I motivate them. To me, it was the other way around. It’s what’s instilled, the ability to adapt and overcome. I hope all Marines can do the same,” he said.

The regimental headquarters started a football team, knowing Hayter’s love for the game. Hayter had played during his days at Carroll College in Wisconsin.

Three months after his amputation, he was back on the field.

“No one felt sorry for me, they basically told me to ‘suck it up’ which really helped,” said Hayter.

Lieutenant Col. Julian D. Alford, commanding officer, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, offered Hayter the command of a platoon in the battalion if he was able to get back on full duty status. Once Hayter felt he was able to return, he made the trip to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center where he was screened.

“I met a lot of wounded Marines there who wanted to return to full duty. I drew strength from them,” he said.

At Walter Reed, they gave him the final stamp of approval to return to full duty as an amputee. He then took command of a platoon in 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines as promised, where he serves today. With his most recent run time of 26:40 on his Physical Fitness Test, he should have no problem staying in the Marine Corps as long as he’s needed.

“When a Marine gets wounded, he doesn’t want to feel alienated, he wants to feel he still belongs and that he’s still able to be a value to the Marine Corps. The biggest thing we can do for our fallen is to take these guys in, not baby them, give them a challenge, and make them feel like Marines again,” Hayter said. “I love Marines. I think God’s greatest creation is the United States Marine Corps.”

Ellie

http://p089.ezboard.com/bthefontmanscommunity

thedrifter
08-19-05, 01:10 PM
Marksmanship instructors help Marines stay on target
MCAS Yuma
Story by Lance Cpl.

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA, Ariz. (Aug. 18, 2005) -- Of all the branches of service in the armed forces that qualify with the M-16A2 service rifle, the Marine Corps has the most demanding requirements, said Cpl. Jared W. Lasley, Marksmanship Training Unit marksmanship coach. Marines are trained to engage enemies up to a distance of five football fields away and apply various shooting positions. Although most Marines are not expected to shoot like Carlos Hathcock, the
Marine Corps’ most legendary sniper, station marksmanship instructors here try their best to get them to his level.

The Marine Corps requires all Marines to be at least a marksman, which is the lowest qualified level out of three. Sharpshooter is the second and expert is the highest.

However, the Marines at Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron Marksmanship Training Unit do not settle for less, said Lance Cpl. Matthew Davidson, MTU marksmanship coach, and Tyler, Texas, native.

“We want to excel,” said Davidson. “When we're on the firing line, we're busting our butts to make sure they become experts. We want to make them so good that they can fire ‘one shot, one kill.’"

The instructors coach and educate Marines on basic marksmanship fundamentals to achieve their goal, said Staff Sgt. Derrick S. Billiard, H&HS MTU chief, from Bellevue, Ohio.

"We help them with things like safety procedures, what to do in what types of weather and how weather affects the weapon,” explained Lasley, a native of Portland, Texas. “We (also) teach them how to properly shoot in the sitting, kneeling, standing and prone positions, applying key factors such as proper breathing, bone support and muscle relaxation.”

For hands-on instruction, Marines “snap in” before firing their rifles, which is when they practice “dry-firing” their weapons, applying proper marksmanship fundamentals.

"We have them snap in because through muscle memory they're going to be able to build good positions (at the range),” said Lasley. “You’re building a good position when snapping in, so that way your body will naturally go to that point and you will be able to fire more accurately."

These fundamentals are enforced by primary marksmanship instructors and marksmanship coaches who both work to help Marines successfully qualify on the range.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-19-05, 02:13 PM
Marine on mark in match
Thursday, August 18, 2005
D'Arcy Egan
Plain Dealer Columnist

Dennis DeMille of Oceanside, Calif., a member of the Marine Corps Rifle Team, won the NRA's National High Power Rifle Championship in the National Rifle and Pistol Matches at Camp Perry, the Ohio National Guard facility west of Port Clinton.

A former chief warrant officer, DeMille scored 2,385 of a possible 2,400 to edge 2004 champion Norm Houle of West Warwick, R.I.

David Tubb, an 11-time winner from Canadian, Texas, was third at 2,376 and won the Centenary Trophy.

DeMille won the 200-point Navy Cup Match, the 1,200-point Boyd Memorial Trophy and 800-point Nevada Trophy en route to taking the Wright Trophy as the NRA Match Rifle Champion. He was Service Rifle champion in 2002 and 2003.

This year's Service Rifle and women's champion was Marine Reserve Gunnery Sgt. Julia Watson (2,366) of Albuquerque, N.M. James Fox (2366) of White City, Ore., won the junior and collegiate championships. Senior champion was Ken Spears (2349) of St. Louis.

Scalish on top:

Cleveland Heights pro Frank Scalish (51 pounds, 15 ounces, $9,733) finished seventh in the Citgo Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Champlain at Plattsburgh, N.Y., on Saturday to take the lead in the Northern Open trail after two tournaments. Scalish finished second on Lake Erie at Sandusky last month.

New Hampshire angler Joe Lucarelli (56-07) won the event and $38,000. His father, Steve Lucarelli (53-02), finished fifth. Ed Allen (50-07) of Lakeview, Ohio, was 10th and follows Scalish in the Northern Open standings. Doug Wilson (45-0 of Calais, Vt., won the nonboater division and $25,000, edging Sandusky's Joe Ritzenthaler (44-11, $4,560).

Steve Clapper (49-08, $1,725) of Lima, Ohio, was 13th in the pro division. Chris Clemence (29-14, $314) of Garfield Heights was 34th in the nonboater division, followed by Del Smith (35th, 29-10, $314) of Castalia, who won the division on Lake Erie.

Waterfowlers at Mosquito:

Layout University is Sunday at Mosquito Reservoir with the OhioWaterfowler.com event from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. A large collection of layout hunting boats will be on display with waterfowl hunting seminars throughout the day at Mosquito Creek State Park on the south side of the Trumbull County lake.

Coming right up:

The Grand National Walleye Cup's national championship is this weekend on Lake Erie at Vermilion, matching some of the top two-angler walleye fishing teams from around the country. . . . The sixth annual All Wooden Boat Festival at the Huron Boat Basin opens its show to the public on Saturday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. . . . The Crooked Creek Conservation Club in Hartsgrove kicks off its 3-D archery shoots Sunday at its grounds on Ohio 534 in Hartsgrove.

Big money in Pittsburgh:

A Bassmaster Classic field was casting for $700,000 in Pittsburgh recently, a tournament won by Kevin VanDam of Kalamazoo, Mich. Missing a million-dollar payoff before the Classic began was Bill Mitchell, 57, of Chardon.

Mitchell registered for the Berkley $1 Million Challenge at the Classic sports show and won the chance to cast for $1 million. All he had to do was cast a lure 65 feet and have it land in a bucket perched in a giant inflatable bass.

"I was really nervous," Mitchell told ESPN officials. "I was just trying to concentrate on the target and make a good cast. I went to hit it and it bounced, missing the bucket by a foot."

Mitchell took home $1,000 and $500 in fishing tackle.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

degan@plaind.com, 216-999-6136

Ellie