PDA

View Full Version : Letter Shares Fate of Destroyed SEAL Team In Afghanistan

thedrifter
08-18-05, 08:14 AM
Letter Shares Fate of Destroyed SEAL Team In Afghanistan

The following letter was sent to DefenseWatch by a regular reader. It was written by a USMC Lt. Col. to a retired USMC Major General as the Marine was departing Afghanistan. It offers an insightful, first-hand account of the brave and unfortunate demise of a U.S. Navy SEAL team wiped out while deep in enemy territory on a clandestine mission sometime around June 28, 2005. The Navy SEAL team disappeared just before a Special Forces helicopter carrying reinforcements to a mountainous area in eastern Kunar province was shot down June 28, killing all 16 Americans on board. It was the deadliest single attack on the U.S. military since the war began in Afghanistan in 2001. No editing effort for either grammar or punctuation was applied for the sake of authenticity- Editor

Hello everyone, this is my final update. Let me start by telling you that I am in excellent health and in good spirits. I apologize for not keeping you informed these last few months but our operational tempo was too high and our operational security did not allow me to share with you what missions we were conducting. When I return home I hope to sit down and write about our spring offensive here. However I will share with you that my team in Farah captured Mullah Sultan who was a mid level Taliban leader and a target that we had been searching for several months. He is still being interrogated in Afghanistan but should be making the long journey to GITMO (providing it is still open) very soon. I will be home in a couple of weeks and plan to have a party around Labor Day weekend so please mark you calendars because I would love to see you there. This update will be extremely short but I do want to close it by telling you some insight about the SEAL Team and Night Stalker tragedy that occurred a few weeks ago. By now you have heard a lot about what happen but I really want share how significant that event was to the soldiers on the ground here and to explain in my opinion why I feel it is important that all Americans continue the fight for freedom.

Before I explain what happen to the SEALs, I want to thank you all for your prayers, emails, care packages, yard work and all the things that you did for me in my family while I have been deployed. The support from my friends and neighbors has been incredible and humbling. Your support has helped me to endure this incredibly long year and to concentrate on what I was doing here with minimum worrying about Pam and "A". Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Read more
http://p089.ezboard.com/fthefontmanscommunityfrm29.showMessage?topicID=526 6.topic

Ellie