thedrifter
08-18-05, 07:57 AM
Inquiry moves ahead <br />
Officer suggests court-martial trial for Lopez <br />
Published Thursday August 18 2005 <br />
By GEOFF ZIEZULEWICZ <br />
The Beaufort Gazette <br />
<br />
Staff Sgt. Nadya Lopez should face a trial by...

Joseph P Carey
08-18-05, 01:36 PM
Lopez did her job! She did it well! People know that swimming is a part of being a Marine, certainly, it was the recruit's job to know how to swim before he entered the Corps. As there are numbers of other recruits in the pool at the same time, the individual can not always be seen or protected from his own folly. The obvious thing is that the recruit drowned. The thing that is missed is that people drown everyday. It was an accident! Anyone that has children knows how quickly these tragic things do happen.

The only fault attributed to Lopez was that she had too many recruits at once. That was not her fault! Who knows if she had her eye on another recruit at the time Tharp went under. She was just a Marine, not a God! She can not see all things at all times. Tharp was respondible for his own well being! He should have taken time to learn to swim before he joined!

hrscowboy
08-18-05, 03:08 PM
If i recall this recruit asked not once but more than several times to be released from the Marine Corps, he also could not pass the test of swimming several times this was not just the first time...

Joseph P Carey
08-18-05, 10:37 PM
I think Lopez is being made a scapegoat, because someone above her could not make the decission to 'OUT' this kid! Not everyone can be a Marine. And, not every Marine can be responsible for the short falls of another. Let Lopez go back to her work!

hrscowboy
08-19-05, 02:01 AM
I agree with you Cpl Carey i think the problem is this kids parents are wanting justice and there going to get it one way or another..

thedrifter
08-19-05, 10:00 AM
August 18, 2005 <br />
Parris Island swim instructor recommended for court-martial <br />
By Laura Bailey <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
The case of a swim instructor charged with negligent homicide in the drowning...