PDA

View Full Version : Decorated Marine denied in-state tuition

thedrifter
08-18-05, 07:40 AM
Decorated Marine denied in-state tuition
Posted: August 18, 2005
WorldNetDaily.com

Despite being a Texas native, a registered voter and holder of a state driver's license, a decorated Marine has been denied lower in-state tuition at a community college because he spent too much time out of the state while serving two tours of duty in Iraq.

Carl Basham says he was shocked when personnel at Austin Community College told him a few weeks ago that he didn't qualify as a Texas resident "for tuition purposes." Basham was born in Beeville, Texas, registered to vote in Travis County in 1998, holds a Texas driver's license and does his banking in Austin, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

"They told me that I have to physically live in the state of Texas for at least a year," Basham told the paper. "It kind of hurts."

According to the report, Austin Community College officials were unable to specify why Basham isn't considered a Texas resident, only that he didn't meet state requirements as determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A spokeswoman said privacy laws prevent a discussion of Basham's case.

In-state tuition at the college is $500 per semester, compared to $2,600 for non-Texas residents.

Two state officials are decrying the decision.

"Mr. Basham has gone to war for us, and I intend to go to war for him!" said state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, in a letter to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. "We owe it to our returning service men and women to make it as easy and uncomplicated as possible for them to resume their normal lives."

http://p089.ezboard.com/fthefontmanscommunityfrm22.showMessage?topicID=740 9.topic

Ellie

CAR
08-19-05, 04:24 AM
Has common sense escaped that many people. Are you seriously telling me that SOMEONE, ANYONE in this long line of administrators could not just make the damn call an grant him In-State tuition. It just shows how stupid these people are and how they are so chickensh1t to make a decision.

What has happened to the thinking breed????

thedrifter
08-19-05, 06:43 AM
Courtesy of Mark aka The Fontman <br />
Patterson says ex-Marine eligible for in-state rates <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
AUSTIN — A Texas native who joined the Marines while living in Louisiana is expected to get...