PDA

View Full Version : Alabama native leads, on, off duty

thedrifter
08-14-05, 11:06 AM
Alabama native leads, on, off duty
MCB Hawaii
Story by Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii (Aug. 12, 2005) -- “I love being a leader. I love the responsibility and hard work it takes,” said Cpl. Duane W. Brown, training noncommissioned officer, Supply Company, Combat Service Support Group 3. “The Marine Corps is elite; it is the best. I know that I am going to make this a career.”

That wasn’t always the way the Huntsville, Ala. native felt. He said he never even gave joining the military a thought until a recruiter approached him in a small shopping plaza — and changed his life.

“I never knew that just speaking for 15 minutes with a complete stranger could have such an effect on someone and change their life,” said the 28-year-old. “I realize that now, since it happened to me.”

Brown grew up in Huntsville, working on different types of farms until he graduated from Johnson High School. He was the oldest of five kids and strived to be a good role model for all of them, hoping they would see his accomplishments and strive to do the same.

“I worked in every field someone could think of,” said Brown. “Tobacco, corn, blueberries, hay, cabbage. I grew up a complete farm boy. That’s just how it was where I came from.”

Although far from the city, Brown said that he is grateful that he had the opportunity to grow up in a farming community.

“Being a hard worker at a young age seemed to prepare me a lot for anything that I would have to take on as an adult,” said Brown. “I think being in the country also kept me out of a lot of negativity that I could have experienced if I grew up in the city.”

After graduation, Brown worked for a couple of years for a fabric company but wanted something more meaningful for his life.

“I wanted to get out of the house and find a way to support myself,” said Brown. “I called around and got interested in forestry.”

Brown attended the Urban Forestry Camp for two weeks in Baldrock, Ky. A letter of acceptance followed that to the Alabama Agriculture and Mechanic University, which he attended and graduated from with a major in forestry.

From there, he took up the challenging job of a wild lands firefighter, preparing to spend the next summer fighting plane fires and forest fires in Montana. This was also the point in time that the Marine Corps came into play.

“I was just walking around the plaza back home in Huntsville, and I saw a man come towards me in his dress blue delta uniform,” said Brown. “I had never thought about the Marines, but seeing how sharp he looked got me interested; and that’s where the game began.”

Brown spoke with the recruiter and agreed to go to sign up, but first he had to take care of that summer and fight forest fires in Montana.

“The forest fires of 2001 were the worst ones for Montana since 1910,” said Brown. “We lost 350,000 acres of land that year, and I had to extend and spend six months over there instead of the original three.”

With the fires out, Brown decided to take the plunge and join the Marine Corps. He knew it would be a huge pay cut from what he was getting as a wild lands firefighter, but he was willing to make the sacrifice, he said. He was originally set to join on Sept. 11, 2001, but because of the chaos the attacks caused, the date was pushed to Sept. 17.

After graduating from boot camp as a private first class at Parris Island, S.C., Brown attended Military Occupational Specialty School at Camp Johnson, N.C., where he earned a Meritorious Mast upon graduation.

His first duty station, as a lance corporal, was at Camp Lejeune, N.C. While assigned there, he made a nine-month deployment to Kuwait where he was meritoriously promoted to his current rank of corporal.

Brown re-enlisted for duty in Hawaii, his current duty station, where he is the training noncommissioned officer.

“I make sure the Marines get in all the training they need for the year, like PMEs, rifle range, swim qual, gas chamber, PFTs, and all the other training that a Marine needs to reach their next rank,” said Brown.

During his off-duty hours, Brown plays basketball and takes part in the Breakthroughs for Youth at Risk program, a program that provides help to children who may be heading down the wrong path in life.

“I wanted to do that, because I realize how much one person can impact another person’s life,” said Brown. “It only took 15 minutes of the recruiter’s time to permanently affect me, and I know that deep down those kids are going to take in and capture something I tell them, and that means everything.”

Brown said he thinks that his past has allowed him to be strong in the Marine Corps and to be successful — since he already knew how to be a leader and take initiative at a young age through his past work experiences.

“I think the path I came through along the way will make me the best Marine that I can be,” said Brown. “And as advice for others, make sure you set yourself goals to achieve. Don’t set your standards too low, and always look to better yourself.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 10:50 PM
900 Marines return to Camp Lejeune from Iraq
Associated Press
August 14, 2005

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- About 900 Marines returned Sunday in one of Camp Lejeune's biggest homecomings this year of troops from Iraq.

The troops, part of the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, returned on buses from Cherry Point Air Station. They had left in January for Iraq, where their mission was to neutralize Iraqi insurgents and train the Iraqi Army.

"It's great to be back," said Lance Cpl. Donald Briere, 20, hugging his wife, Samantha, for the first time in seven months.

Briere, originally from Killingly, Conn., described his time in Iraq as "always hot, like nothing I've ever experienced before."

Family members from across the country began gathering at around 9 a.m., as various troops made the journey from Cherry Point at intervals during the day.

Claude Dean and some 15-plus family members came from Harrisonburg, Va., to greet Lance Cpl. Robert Dean, 20, Claude Dean's son. They were part of an estimated 500 families and friends who withstood near 90-degree temperatures during their wait.

"This is overwhelming," he said. "I'm glad he's coming home."

The deployment resulted in a reduction in violence, with more than 350 insurgents being detained, said Lt. Col. Stephen M. Neary, commanding officer of the 3/8, in a prepared statement.

He said during January, there were 210 attacks, with 65 taking place during July.

Additionally, said Neary, more than 125 major weapons caches were confiscated, with some 26,000 rounds of small arms ammunition discovered, too.

"As their commander, it has been a privilege to lead such courageous men who are committed to excellence," Neary said. "I am extremely proud of their accomplishments."

Information from: The Daily News, www.jdnews.com

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 10:55 PM
Taking Bombs Away
Explosive ordnance disposal Marines try to minimize false alarms, deal with thinner numbers
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Lance Cpl. T. J. Kaemmerer

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan (Aug. 15, 2005) -- A brightly-colored bag hung from a motorcycle's handlebars at New Car Sales recently. The bag is the newest incentive at the dealership, though it is not one they offer willingly or plan to offer again any time soon.

The bag was the cause of a recent evacuation of the area while the Marine Corps Base Bomb Squad, better known as Explosive Ordnance Disposal with 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, rushed into action.

Like the other three or four calls EOD receives each month, the bag hanging from the motorcycle was a false alarm. It wasn't a complete waste of time, however, according to Staff Sgt. Daniel H. Cusinato, an EOD technician.

"So far none of the calls we've received have actually turned out to be an explosive, but it is always better to err on the side of safety," he said. "At least it's a good training opportunity."

The Marines with EOD provide classes upon a unit's request, teaching procedures to follow when a suspicious package is found.

First, the person noticing the unaccompanied bag or package should contact the Provost Marshal's Office. Once the military police determines the object is a suspect package they will call in EOD.

Once the bomb squad gets the information from PMO, they take over the scene and begin assessing the threat level of the situation.

When they decide it is necessary, the Marines don the bomb suit, a protective, armored shell, and start the procedures for defeating the possible explosive device. The Marines use a portable X-ray machine to get a better idea of what they're facing.

They also have countless other gadgets and gizmos that assist them in their mission. One of those tools is a robot named RONS (Remote Ordnance Neutralization System).

The robot allows the Marines to get a closer look at a threat and even sever or disrupt a bombs fuse from a distance. The robot is normally run via radio frequency, but on Okinawa the law only allows the Marines to operate RONS using a 5,000-foot fiber optic cable.

Historically, only a select few Marines ever jumped at the idea of a career in the EOD field, Cusinato said. Today, there are only about 280 EOD Marines throughout the Corps.

Currently, units are spread extremely thin by the large number of deployments for which the technicians are needed. While the bomb squad has the tools to deal with any possible threats, their manpower is thin. Although Cusinato said it's better to be safe than sorry, people should make an effort to keep tabs on their backpacks and boxes to avoid unnecessary incidents and false alarms.

Because of EOD's high-profile involvement in Operation Iraqi Freedom, more Marines saw first-hand what the unit does.

Sgt. Ronnie Wilckens, an EOD technician and combat veteran, taught Marine combat engineers in Iraq the tactics, techniques and procedures to defeat improvised explosive devices. He also taught basic demolition procedures and unexploded ordnance safety and recognition.

He said the Marines often asked questions about what the EOD field entails. As EOD became more visible in Iraq, the number of Marines laterally moving into the job increased.

Though on the rise, the field is still always looking for qualified Marines to join its ranks. Some requirements include a GT score of 110 or higher, a 12th grade reading level, secret-to-top secret clearance eligibility. Applicants cannot be color blind or have a history of psychedelic drug use.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 11:06 PM
Bob Cesca: Chickenhawks Have An Army, Too
Bob CescaSat Aug 13, 2:42 PM ET

After decades of being a decentralized, scattered force of armchair warriors, Chickenhawks now have a place to go. A place in which they can pretend to serve their country without fear of injury or self-respect. And no, that place isn't the Army or the Marines. It's certainly not in Iraq where a guy could get himself killed -- why risk losing the deposit on the rented flightsuits to the destructive force of a sandstorm or an IED. Heck no.

Chickenhawks of the nation, I give you "Gallagher's Army".

If Bush's America is the movie "Outbreak", and Chickenhawkism is the Motaba Virus, then radio talk show host Mike Gallagher is the monkey. No wait, Bush is probably the monkey. Or maybe Rush Limbaugh. On second thought, it could be Dick Cheney or Bill O'Reilly. Sean Hannity as The Monkey! So there's a lot of monkeys and the analogy doesn't quite work. You get the idea.

Origins aside, this guy could be the Grand Wizard of Chickenhawks. Your commander, General Mike Gallagher:

The latest mission of "Gallagher's Army": The Pro America Bus Tour to Crawford Friday night to counter the efforts of Cindy Sheehan (and to score some extra points with Arbitron). As Hunter from Daily Kos points out, this begs the question: Is Cindy Sheehan, who lost her son in the Iraq War, anti-American? Hunter also points out that Gallagher never served, and his service-aged children aren't serving in Iraq.

Go to Mike's site and enlist now, Chickenhawks of the nation. You'll receive your very own uniform made of a finely woven blend of polyester and bull****; a supersoaker with a year's supply of mercury-contaminated water; the official Rush Limbaugh Pilonidal Cyst Seat Cushion; and a wad of tissues sized to fit comfortably within your underpants (the Chickenhawk uniform code smartly requests "front side only, please").

Most of all, you won't have to serve in the real military. Because you're already serving... serving the cause of ultimate hypocrisy.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 11:08 PM
Looking for a few good metalheads
By William Weir
Hartford Courant

HARTFORD, Conn. – Commerce at the Ozzfest is plentiful and brisk, and tends toward the countercultural. Items for sale include marijuana-flavored candy, clothing with spikes, and Cat-in-the-Hat-style hats with pictures of pot leaves.

The river of people that flows from booth to booth on a recent Sunday boasts a lot of fishnet and hairstyles that fully exploit the color spectrum. Fresh from a body-painting booth, a few women are topless, except for elaborately designed layers of air-brushed paint.

Peering over all this, like a very unlikely Lord of Misrule, is a 20-foot-tall inflatable drill sergeant. It’s the signpost of the U.S. Marines tent, which has set up shop amid the T-shirt, tattoo and body-piercing booths. Some Marines wear camouflage, but instead of blending in, the uniforms have the opposite effect. A few hundred yards away, the U.S. Army has its own booth.

Certainly, the Ozzfest environs seem at odds with selling young people on the militaristic rigors of life in the service. That the touring heavy-metal music festival, now in its 10th year, was organized by Ozzy Osbourne – self-proclaimed “prince of darkness” and television’s famously confused father – only adds to the incongruity. The all-day event features 20 bands.

Compounding the unlikeliness: According to Marine Staff Sgt. Larry Thomas, six or more tattoos disqualifies applicants. Here, that would eliminate many.

But in military recruiting, you go where the young folks are. That usually means going to schools, but the summer gives recruiters room to try other tactics.

And the current numbers don’t afford recruiters much down time. The U.S. Army, the biggest of all the military branches, has a goal of 80,000 new enlistees by the end of September. By the end of June, the Army was more than 6,000 short of the 54,935 enlistees it needed to stay on pace, and more than 2,000 short of its goal of 15,554 Army Reservists.

So, if it takes setting up a booth at the Ozzfest and shouting to prospects over the chugga-chugga sounds of the nearby bands, then so be it. Not that the military guys seem to mind. The conversations are generally friendly, and the soldiers have a good time. A lot of the concertgoers tell the recruiters about friends or relatives in the military.

It’s the first year the Army has officially come to the festival, but Sgt. Robert Nerkowski Jr. is a five-time Ozzfest veteran. Events like this, he says, show that joining the military doesn’t mean the end of fun. “We’re a bunch of rockers, too. People think we’re a bunch of robots.”

Aesthetic differences aside, the metal-military gap really isn’t so pronounced. Precision and aggression – traits that serve a soldier well – are two staples of the music. And unlike its equally aggressive (but less musically disciplined) cousins, punk and hardcore, metal is generally apolitical; its legions are an ideological blank canvas.

“The kids who go to these shows make great soldiers,” says Nerkowski, who works in the Hartford recruiting office. Reel in that energy, he says, and “undisciplined kids can make great leaders.”

This is the sixth year the Marines have been to the Ozzfest, and as always, they bring the pull-up challenge. Guys get a U.S. Marines T-shirt for 20 pull-ups and a hat for 15. Women earn a shirt for holding their chin above the bar for 70 seconds, and a hat for 50 seconds. Posters and keychains are given to all who try. Competitors sign a liability form and check off whether they want informational material sent to them. The challenge is a good draw, and for much of the day, rockers crowd around and cheer on their friends.

As he does at every Ozzfest, Raymond Magden stops by the booth to talk. The 20-year-old Waterbury, Conn., resident, who came mainly to see Rob Zombie and Mudvayne, is thinking about joining within the next year. He doesn’t agree with the president’s reasons for invading Iraq but ultimately believes the war is for a good cause.

“I’m not scared about going over,” Magden says. Then he gives it some thought. “I am a little bit scared, but I also feel it is a duty because they do so much to protect us.”

The Army has no pull-up challenge, but it does have prime real estate. Its booth is right next to where the radio station WCCC is broadcasting and drawing a decent crowd.

Besides raffling off an Xbox and a PlayStation 2 signed by the Ozzfest bands, there’s plenty of Army loot, and no physical exertion is required. Free for the taking are water bottles, bags, dog tags and the official video game of the U.S. Army, “America’s Army.”

Though he declines the pull-up challenge, 16-year-old Keith Toohey of Westbrook, Conn., talks to the Marines about what exactly he needs to do to join.

“I just want to shoot some guns – rock and roll,” he says. The back of Keith’s Iron Maiden T-shirt says “World Piece Tour 1983,” which would be some six years before he was born. He says he’s not scared about going into combat.

“Yeah, not till you’re there, with bullets whizzing past your head,” says his friend, 17-year-old Jeremy Dufour, also of Westbrook. “You’ll be screaming for your mama.”

Jeremy says he thought about going into the military also, but not anymore: “I don’t feel like dying right now.”

Sgt. Jim Hewston, spokesman for the western New England region of the U.S. Marine Corps, says the marriage of Ozzfest and Marines may seem strange but hardly unproductive. He figures 200 to 300 signed up for the pull-up challenge. Most chose not to receive information, but Hewston says that’s OK. Just getting the word out goes a long way.

The national numbers are down, but Hewston says the Marines go about their business as usual.

“We haven’t changed any of our marketing,” he says. “It’s one of those things – we’re not going to change our image midstream to meet some temporary demand level. It’s just who we are.”

Though relieved the body-painting booth was on the other side of the plaza, Hewston says the Marines and the metal-heads got along fine.

“A lot of those guys with the long beards and tattoos come up and shake your hand and talk to you about their service in the Marines. It’s a lot of fun.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 11:16 PM
DIAZ MAKES QUICK WORK OF JONES FROM CAMP PENDLETON
By Tom Dickie @ ringside

In front of over one thousand U.S. Marines at Camp Pendleton's Marine base in Oceanside, California, former IBF lightweight champion Julio Diaz made quick work of veteran Russell Jones, knocking him out in the first round. The fight was the main event in a special "Salute to America's Heroes" card from Camp Pendleton presented by Sycuan Ringside Promotions.

The former IBF champ spent the first half of the opening round stalking Russell Jones. Finally, about midway in, Diaz cornered Jones, and landed a solid stiff right hand on Jones eye, which sent Jones down. As referee Raul Caiz Jr. counted, Jones continuously pawed at his eye, almost as if he had something in it. It appeared he was going to beat the count, as he did rise to his feet, but then he he pawed at his eye again and went back down. The referee then counted him out and Diaz earned himself his second consecutive KO victory at 1:59 of the first round. Diaz improved to 32-3, while Jones fell to 19-11. Diaz's head cornerman, Frank Espinoza, told me after the fight that the shot by Diaz busted Jones' eye open and that was why he didn't want to continue.

In a special attraction, the king of the four rounders, Eric "Butterbean" Esch defeated Rick Zufell by 3rd round TKO. Butterbean, a huge crowd favorite, entered the ring with the crowd chanting, "Butterbean, Butterbean," but couldn't induce any sort of action out of Zufell in the opening stanza. Butterbean landed one overhand right, and Zufell seemed content to throw an occasional slapping jab, and to mainly stay far away from Butterbean. The round was so slow, that some chants even turned to "Buttercup" and "Butterball".

Zufell continued to do more of the same in the second round, to the frustration of Butterbean. Zufell seemed like he wanted to do anything but fight. Butterbean started to clown around in this round. On one occasion Butterbean even laid against the ropes and dared Zufell to hit him, but Zufell would not budge. As the round continued Butterbean began to yell at Zufell to start fighting, but again, Zufell wouldn't budge. At the end of the round, Butterbean tried to pursue Zufell only to have him run away. , Butterbean even complained to referee Pat Russell about Zufell's unwillingness to fight. Round three looked like more of the same, much to the frustration of Butterbean and the Marines in attendance.

Finally late in the round Butterbean cornered Zufell, and wailed away until he dropped him with a left hook. Zufell beat the count, but looked very wobbly, Butterbean jumped on him again, this time dropping him with a right cross. Pat Russell stopped the fight at 2:39 of the third round. Butterbean gets his 75th win, while Zufell falls to 6-6.

In other action, in what was probably the fight of the night, Ricardo Dominguez squeaked out a unanimous decision over Rafael Ortiz in an 8 round lightweight battle. Dominguez started off strong in the first three rounds. He was able to find a consistent home for his left hand. Dominguez also appeared to be out-working Ortiz. At the end of the third round, Ortiz started to show life, landing some good left hooks.

Ortiz became the aggressor in the fourth round as the fight went to close quarters. There was back and forth action, and the round could have probably gone either way. Ortiz was solid in rounds five and six, seemingly landing the bigger shots. Dominguez came back in round seven, capping off a close round with a couple of big overhand rights. The eighth and final round was Ortiz's best round, as he was able to do good damage with solid left-right combos. Both fighters ended the fight with a good exchange. Dominguez won a unanimous decision by the scores of 77-75,77-75, and 78-74. BRC scored the fight 76-76. Dominguez improves to 14-1, while Ortiz drops 11-8.

In other action, junior welterweights Felipe Campana and Rafael Ortiz fought to a draw in an exciting fight. The bout was dominated by back and forth action. Campana appeared to stun Ortiz with a left hook in the third round. The scorecards would eventually read 39-37 for Ortiz,39-37 for Campana, and 38-38.

All U.S. Marines were allowed free admission into Tuesday's show, which was billed as a "Salute to America's Heroes." It took place in the middle of the Marine Base football field. Camp Pendleton is the largest Marine Corps Base in the United States. This special night of Boxing was presented by Sycuan Ringside promotions and televised on ESPN2's Tuesday Night Fights.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-15-05, 06:57 AM
Dad of fallen Marine attends homecoming
Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - John Prazynski stood in the sea of welcome home signs and wondered why he was there.

Prazynski's son, Lance Cpl. Taylor Prazynski, wasn't going to be among the 900 Marines from the 3rd Battalion who arrived home Sunday. Taylor Prazynski, 20, was killed May 9 from an insurgent mortar shell.

But his father had promised his son he would attend the homecoming, so he rode his Harley Davidson more than 650 miles from Hamilton, Ohio, to Camp Lejeune.

"I don't have any sort of agenda. I guess I want to thank his brothers for being there for him, and thank his friends for being his friends," Prazynski said.

The 900 Marines had spent seven months in Anbar Province, the most dangerous territory for U.S. troops in Iraq. It was there that the unit lost nine Marines, killed in action, and about 150 were wounded. That's odds of one in six of being wounded, one in 100 of being killed.

As late as last week, Prazynski was thinking about staying home so as not to turn a happy occasion somber for the other Marines and their families. But Taylor Prazynski's company commander had called and told him that he should be there.

So about 8:15 p.m. Sunday, when a cheer went up from the crowd and it surged forward, Prazynski hung back.

"These Marines walking around, I've done a double-take three or four times," he said. "The build is the same ..."

A woman whose son is in Lima Company ran up to him.

"They're here," she said. "They're here."

He followed her into the middle of the crowd where a half-dozen Marines were hugging family members. He waited, and then someone told the Marines who he was. One after another, they stepped forward to embrace him.

"Your son lifted us," said Taylor Prazynski's squad leader, Sgt. Craig Corsi. "He was an awesome, awesome Marine."

Prazynski's soft voice faded with emotion.

"I appreciate you guys, and what you did."

Ellie

thedrifter
08-15-05, 07:34 AM
Oceanside Jaycees light up for troops
By: ALEXANDRA DELUCA - For the North County Times

OCEANSIDE ---- The Oceanside Jaycees have come up with a unique way to support local troops overseas: Operation Desert Stogie.

The organization has embarked on a campaign to raise funds to send cigars to local military units serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The Jaycees felt this was something we could do from home to support our troops," said DeeDee Engels, president of the Oceanside Jaycees, a civic organization that encourages young adults to become involved in making a positive difference in their community.

The idea for Operation Stogie came about a few months ago when Engels and her husband, Gregg, who own Cigar Grotto in Oceanside, noticed a trend among their customers: many were wives of local Marines who stopped in the store to buy cigars to include in care packages for their husbands.

Since local Marines have always supported the store, the Engels decided to add an extra cigar or two with each care package order and put up a sign encouraging their customers to do the same. Soon, customers began buying extra cigars to be sent to the troops, as well.

Engels said she mentioned the idea to her fellow Jaycees and discovered that they were interested in taking it a step further.

"The Oceanside Jaycees are all about our community," Engels said.

"One of the most upstanding parts of our community is our military. It's tradition for the Jaycees to support our armed forces, and we will continue to do so in any way we can."

The Jaycees purchased $250 worth of cigars to send to a unit in Iraq. Gregg Engels matched the Jaycees' donation, and $500 worth of cigars was soon headed overseas to the troops.

The cigars were so well received that the Jaycees embarked on Operation Desert Stogie. The Jaycees are challenging area civic organizations to match their $250 donation to send cigars to local troops stationed overseas. Along with donations, organizations are encouraged to enclose positive letters along with the cigars.

Organizations, as well as businesses and individuals, are welcome to drop by the store at 220 N. Coast Highway in Oceanside to drop off their donations and to personally select the cigars. The Cigar Grotto will cover all shipping and handling costs.

For more information, contact DeeDee Engels at (760) 439-9316, or e-mail OsideJayceesDD@aol.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-15-05, 07:41 AM
Service support groups adopt new name, embrace greater versatility <br />
MCB Camp Butler <br />
Story by Pfc. Terence L. Yancey <br />
<br />
CAMP KINSER,OKINAWA, Japan (Aug. 12, 2005) -- The Marine Corps' Force Service...