PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit honors women Marines

thedrifter
08-11-05, 10:14 PM
Exhibit honors women Marines
By:Elizabeth Gibson , News-Press Intern

During World War II women Marines could wear only a shade of lipstick that matched the red tassels on their hats, so Elizabeth Arden decided to produce a lipstick for them.

"Montezuma Red. I was thrilled Dad made it," said Grand Junction resident Gret Hagaman, whose father held the job of head chemist with Elizabeth Arden. "It was kind of ironic that I went and became a Marine."

With little bits of history like this, the Castle Rock Historical Society and the Women Marines Association Colorado Columbine Chapter set out to piece together and preserve the legacy of women Marines.

Accompanied by a presentation of colors and a 21-gun salute, they will open an exhibit titled "Women of the Corps" Aug. 13 at the Castle Rock Museum, 420 Elbert St.

At the opening, a Hummer ambulance will stand at hand and a corner will be set off for children to draw pictures or write letters for soldiers in Iraq. While looking through the Marine memorabilia, guests can speak with the first woman to stay in the Marines after having a baby or to Carol Mutter, who became the first female lieutenant general in the Marine Corps in 1996.

In addition to the living history, the 120-square-foot exhibit will trace the history of women in the Marines from Lucy Brewer, who served in 1812 posing as a man, to women in Iraq today with storyboards, photos and artifacts.

It also covers the history of the Women Marines Association, an organization founded in Denver in 1960 that has about 3,000 members, 100 in Colorado.

"One of the purposes of WMA is to preserve our history, and it's not being done very well anywhere," said Paula Sarlls, president of the Columbine Chapter. "Things are just lying in basements and the women are dying. We're losing our history."
Sarlls, who served from 1967-71, said the idea for the exhibit came about when the group decided it needed to concentrate more on one project instead of having lots of little, unfocused projects.

Nancy Wilt, the chapter's vice president, came up with the exhibit, and she and Sarlls funded most of the project with their own money. They also put together storyboards and collected items for display.

When they found an ad for Montezuma Red, Wilt and Sarlls contacted Elizabeth Arden to verify the legend. Arden told them it was the only known copy of the ad and offered to buy it for $250, Sarlls said.

But they kept the artifact and as they looked for more information the story grew.

Gret Hagaman contacted them, explaining her father's role and telling Sarlls he also created a perfume for Marines when Hagaman was commissioned called "Golden Bars."

Sarlls said the group hopes the exhibit will become a permanent repository for women Marines history, adding the Columbine Chapter intends to host a convention there by 2010.

"I hope they can expand on it as more things come in," Hagaman said. "I've got to start emptying boxes."

Ellie

Arlene Horton
08-11-05, 10:20 PM
That's the first time I ever heard of "Montezuma Red" by Elizabeth Arden matching the color of the cap cord. In 1952, when I graduated from Parris Island, we were informed that the only proper color of lipstick we were to wear when in uniform was called "Certainly Red", by Revlon. The new color must have come about later. Semper Fi
"An Old Woman Marine" Arlene