PDA

View Full Version : Marine awarded the military's highest combat medal

marinefamily5
08-11-05, 07:26 PM
Marine awarded the military's highest combat medal
August 11,2005
Chris Mazzolini
freedom enc
CAMP LEJEUNE - Maria Santos received a phone call from Iraq. Her 22-year-old Marine son, Cpl. Danny Santos, told her something truly frightening - he had been wounded in combat, but he was OK.

As if that was all.

On Wednesday, the valiant actions Santos displayed during a 2004 fight with insurgents were recognized officially. During a ceremony at the Littoral Warfare Training Center at Camp Lejeune, Santos, who hails from Los Angeles, was awarded the Silver Star, one of the nation's highest combat medals.

"I present a lot of awards in my life," said Lt. Gen. James F. Amos, the commanding general of II Marine Expeditionary Force. "I've pinned on a lot of medals. But I have never pinned on a Silver Star."

And Santos' mother, teary-eyed and cradling a bouquet of red roses, was there to see it all.

"I'm so proud to be his mom," she said. "I knew he was going to be a good Marine, because he's always been a good son."

Capt. Trent Gibson, Santos' commanding officer from Kilo Company, pinned the medal on the Marine's chest. He also recited for the crowd of Marines what took place in Al Qaim, near the Syrian border, on April 17, 2004.

Amos, addressing the Marines in the audience, had a simple message.

"Think about it and imagine yourself in exactly the same spot," he said. "What would you do if this happened to you?"

'Highest traditions'

Santos' unit, Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, Regimental Combat Team-7, had come under intense automatic weapon and rocket-propelled grenade fire from multiple enemy strong points arrayed in two-story houses.

"We found ourselves in a fight in every street and alley," Gibson recalled.

Santos, who was a lance corporal at the time and was leading the 3rd Squad, received shrapnel wounds in his stomach and shoulder while positioned on the left flank, described by Gibson as "the most dangerous place to be."

But Santos' wounds did not matter considering his squad's point man was lying in the street, exposed to enemy fire, after taking a bullet through the hip. According to the award citation, "Santos exposed himself to enemy crossfire and destroyed the enemy position using a (rocket launcher)."

He then dashed out into the enemy's attack and dragged his wounded comrade to safety. In need of medical attention, Santos refused it until all his Marines were treated first.

'It was simple'

Santos, now with the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade serving with the Foreign Military Training Unit, described the heroics quite simply.

"I was just doing my job," he said. "This only reflects the people around me. I appreciate the Marine Corps giving it to me, but the ones I was with deserve this more than I do."

He did say that listening to Amos read the citation gave him an outsider's view of what he had done.

"It gives you a view of what everybody hears," he said. "To me it was simple - taking care of my Marines, my guys. I can care less about me."

The ceremony was supposed to take place at Camp Johnson a couple weeks earlier but was delayed by Amos so that Santos' mother, his 7-year-old sister and some of his comrades from 3/7 could attend.

"I love all my brothers here from 3/7," he said. "Those are the guys I sweated with and fought beside."

His mother was just thrilled she was able to participate in the ceremony.

"I'm so happy to share this special moment with him, my hero," she said

cajunguy
08-11-05, 09:49 PM
Where do we find such men as these?

Outstanding. Congratulations, Corporal.

Semper Fi, and carry on.

Joseph P Carey
08-11-05, 10:10 PM
These are everyday guys, taught the art of war by very professional instructors. They are History, they are Tradition, and they are Brotherhood and Courage all rolled up into one Olive Drab Green package! They are Americans of the finest order, and a gift to our nation. They are the United States Marines! They are the Corps of Brothers! Long live the Marines!

Congratulations Corporal Danny Santos! You are a Marine of quality, and your brothers are proud of you!