PDA

View Full Version : False and wrong credits of well published authorre Dog Company 7th Marines in Korea

Clyde D Beaty
08-10-05, 09:51 PM
Dog company of Sevent Marines has a rather glorious history in combat in Korea- unfortuantely some damned hard battles and practily obliterated ( One authority has written "almost never known before: a whole company wiped out! re battles at the reservoir, and Dog had really been hit hard in battles taking Seoul etc., and then in August and first two weeks of September of 1951, had some hard fighting up above the Puncbowl when the Division was taken out of Reserve as pressure on Communists to get back to negotiations. Even North Koreans have reported that the Battles of 2nd Army Division and USMC up above Punchbowl some of hardest they had- and they were well dug in, well supplied and equipped- only lacking air support( we we weren't getting it either!!) OK I cite some of Dog Company's history so as not to be labeled derogatory- but to let Mr, Brady, the former platoon leader and current journalist and author of several widely read books on USMC in Korea-- and to correct him and say I believe he owes an apology and admission of error re: taking of Hill 749 inSeptember of 51. Dog Company Seventh Marines did not take it! Oh got up on a wrong spur to the rear of 749 and lost, it seemed. I know Hill 749 was taken by Easy and Dog Company- and then inferocious counterattacks held on to by remnants of Dog and Easy, but lots of help from our Fox company of First Marines- I left a brain lobe, lots of blood etc as leadin the asault on to 749 on 13th of September- and we lost lots of troops as assaulting( also very short on ammo til supplied by VMS 161 or whatevre that squadron of copters called) and my Easy Company was the assaulting unit til Dog Compant came in, passed through us and took 749 on afternoon of 13th- I got a copter ride out that saved my life as had taken 2 slugs of a burp gun right between horns as leading the assault. So back off Mr. Brady Dog Company 7th had their battles and gains, but not Hill 749!! By the way; The Hound of Heaven is not by Father Hopkins! it's by a "mystic" Thompson, I believe.

Joseph P Carey
08-10-05, 10:17 PM
Thank you Beaty! You gave a lot of yourself! We always remember!

Clyde D Beaty
08-11-05, 09:29 PM
Were we on different ships together and have good scuttlebutt to spread?? Semper Fi too much I see todsay is not Semper Fi--it's plain old whining!! and that won't get a TS card punched at all! I am thinking of the news "we asked for more men!!"