PDA

View Full Version : "Dukes of Hazard" used as TOOL!!!

sgt.lane
08-10-05, 04:22 PM
Aug. 9, 2005 - Human rights groups around the world cried foul today amid reports that the movie version of "The Dukes of Hazzard" is being used by interrogators at the U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Story continues below
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to reports, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld arranged for a private screening of the film at the Pentagon in mid-July and determined that it could be a powerful tool for extracting information from enemy combatants.

Over the weekend, when "Dukes" appeared on nearly 4,000 screens nationwide, it also appeared in at least 12 interrogation rooms at Guantanamo, playing on a nonstop loop.

"We have never seen anything like it," said one Guantanamo interrogator, speaking on condition of anonymity. "About 10 minutes into the film, the prisoners are already willing to talk."

But even as interrogators praised "Dukes" as a welcome addition to their tactical arsenal, human rights groups such as Amnesty International blasted the U.S. government for using the film, arguing that the practice could be in violation of the Geneva Conventions against torture. "We see the use of 'The Dukes of Hazzard' as part of a larger pattern of abuse," said Amnesty International spokesperson Jean-Claude Guinod, noting that the United States had used the film "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" at Guantanamo in 2004.

At the Pentagon, Secretary Rumsfeld categorically defended the use of the "Dukes" film, telling reporters, "Don't think for a moment that if the enemy had 'The Dukes of Hazzard' they wouldn't use it on us."

UUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

outlaw3179
08-10-05, 04:27 PM
uhhhh....is this real?

sgt.lane
08-10-05, 04:28 PM
YUP!! pulled it from MSNBC.com----I thought the same thing!!!!

Toby M
08-10-05, 04:32 PM
Another tactic they could be using would be to use Hanoi Jane's picture...of course our government wouldn't want any unecessary enemy deaths from heart attacks (fro being scared to death) but that's the chance you take when you use unconvensional methods!

sgt.lane
08-10-05, 04:34 PM
Where common sense makes no sense!!!!LOL

kentmitchell
08-10-05, 05:25 PM
I can't talk when I see Jessica Simpson in that outfit. My tongue is too stiff.

Joseph P Carey
08-10-05, 08:14 PM
I had to 'double-take' this one. As I always thought that the 'Dukes of Hazzard' was cruel and unusual punishment, the fact that people are willing to pay for it's viewing is a matter of taste as far as I am concerned! Actually, having to sit through any picture with Jane Fonda, or J-lo, in it would be terrifying to me! I would sell-out my mother to get out of the room! But, then again, it is all in a person's taste!

I do love the concept though! It is really no different from the Chinese Communists' American History lessons in Korean POW Camps of the Korean War.

I wonder if Osama bin Laden will be the movie critic for this film for Al Jazeera? I can imagine a scathing review! It does give a whole new meaning to a 'captive audience' and 'People can't stop talking' about, or because of, the picture.

But, what does that say for the review of the film in the Good `ol USA? Will this help, or will it hurt, the picture at the Box-office?

CAR
08-11-05, 02:48 AM
Come on!!! Is this "really real", I looked on MSNBC and was not able to find it.

I give, please tell me it's a joke. Sure the movie may have sucked but .........

Joseph P Carey
08-11-05, 04:43 AM
http://acepilots.com/mt/2005/08/10/the-latest-tool-in-the-war-on-terror
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8885198/site/newsweek
http://howdyhumor.blogspot.com/

I read it, and I still can't believe it! It has to be a joke!

rproctor922
08-11-05, 08:21 AM
Theyd Use It on Us
Our columnist imagines how human rights groups might react if The Dukes of Hazzard was deployed as an interrogation tool at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.