PDA

View Full Version : I Smell Football!

yellowwing
08-06-05, 05:44 PM
Giants, Jets brawl during joint practice
By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-jets&prov=ap&type=lgns)
August 6, 2005
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey got into a fight with two Jets players on the second play of a joint practice between the teams Saturday that also featured an argument between Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

On the second play of a 9-on-7 drill pitting the Giants offense against the Jets defense, Shockey got in a tussle with defensive backs Erik Coleman and Oliver Celestin, and soon all three players were throwing wild punches.

Coleman and Celestin pulled the Giants tight end to the ground and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma jumped on top, touching off a melee involving numerous players from both teams. Order was restored after a few minutes.

``I was blocking somebody and I got shoved in the back, and the next thing I know, everybody's fighting,'' Shockey said. ``There's no bad blood. That's how football is. You might as well do it now, when you don't get fined and Paul Tagliabue can't take any money out of your pocket. Do it now, get it over with. I'm sure it happens at every other camp.''

Later in the morning practice session, Coughlin got into an argument with Henderson after several plays in which the Jets appeared to go beyond the prescribed rules of the practice, which allow defensive players to bump or slow down ball carriers as they go by, without tackling them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs.

Brandon Jacobs, the Giants rookie 6-foot-4, 265-pound running back, retaliated by bowling over 6-2, 212-pound Jets cornerback Pete Hunter after catching a short pass.

And finally, Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer was knocked down by Jets linebacker Eric Barton after a short pass reception. Toomer struck Barton in the helmet, and the two players had to be separated.

``This is practice,'' said Toomer, who is in his 10th NFL season. ``We don't want anyone to get hurt.''

At one point, Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, ``That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people.''

Jets coach Herman Edwards blamed what he called his team's ``testiness'' on getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a three-hour bus ride from Long Island to the Giants camp.

Henderson defended his players.

``I don't think any of it was over the line,'' he said. ``You push and shove, and sometimes people take it the second level. But I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to injure anyone. I don't think there was any misunderstanding about what the tempo was going to be. I just think we practice at a different tempo at our place than was expected here.''

Coughlin was not amused by the antics.

``We don't want that. That's not what we teach, that's not why we're here,'' he said. ``We're here to practice to try and get better. We certainly didn't come to fight. We understand that sometimes those things are going to happen, but there were too many occasions.''

There was one more short scuffle in the afternoon between Jets fullback B.J. Askew and Giants defensive back Curtis DeLoatch, but it was quickly quelled.

Get Some!

marinemom
08-06-05, 06:15 PM
THAT'S My GIANTS!!!

Maybe they'll play better and stop missing LT

Devildogg4ever
08-06-05, 06:19 PM
And the smell is strong, too!!!

http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v198/EliteDogg/panthers_jpg_jpg.gif

yellowwing
08-10-05, 07:45 AM
Tomorrow night Thursday 8pm the mayem starts!

I have faith that my New Orleans Saints will get it done this year, they are on a mission from you know who!

Joseph P Carey
08-10-05, 02:28 PM
Did anyone hear that Monday Night Football will not be played on ABC any longer after this year? It is going to ESPN!

yellowwing
08-10-05, 03:01 PM
Era ends as ABC trades Monday Night Football
Lawrence KS Journal, Monday, August 8, 2005 (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/aug/08/era_ends_abc_trades_monday_night_football/?arts)
By Kevin McDonough
Begin the slow countdown to summer’s end as “Monday Night Football” (7 p.m., ABC) returns with the pre-season Hall of Fame game between the Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins.

Tonight also marks the beginning of the final season of “Monday Night Football” on ABC, where it has been airing since 1970 and getting consistently good ratings. In fact, there were some years when “MNF” was the only show ABC had in the top 10.

In a decision that has everything to do with money and very little to do with common sense, ABC will stop broadcasting the series so that it can air on ESPN beginning in 2006. Disney owns ABC and ESPN, so I don’t know who is “saving” money. All I can tell is that ABC is losing one of its most consistent hits. It’s a little like Viacom moving “60 Minutes” from CBS to VH1.

This oddity will not occur until next season

Osotogary
08-10-05, 03:24 PM
I think New Orleans really wants Ricky Williams back. Maybe they will trade 12 players for him? LOL.
By the way, can anyone name the one player who was traded for the most players? Les Richter of the Los Angeles Rams comes to mind. I think that he was traded for 6-8 players way back when ...but I am not sure.