PDA

View Full Version : If anyone wants to help?

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 10:51 AM
I want to write to ask for anyone's help . The Stand has been trying to let our senators and congressman know about what the panel recommendations are.
And I cant think of a better place to ask help then here.
These two women have been here for us watersurvivors for years now. With out them I dont think our marines and there famiies would know as much.
But on Sept 21-23, we will be taking a trip to discuss the final panels recomendations to some of our congressman and senators.
If you have anyway to help us, with a donation, or with a call to your congressman . Please go to our website and click on donations. If only 20.00 , would help out for transportation, rooms, food. Im asking you, because we are in need. To ask is hard. But were only a few people on The stand helping. And as you know this is for a good cause, it has to do with our marines, and there family. The Marine Corps or goverment has did nonthing to let more families know what happen on Camplejeune. Today we still have marines finding out. And that makes me sad, to know we have so much more to reach. Please help us make our trip to DC. http://watersurvivors.com.
Give what you can... Any is better then none. Muffin

hrscowboy
08-04-05, 01:00 PM
what the heck are you talking about...

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 01:09 PM
With all due respect- learn to spell Marine Corps...and capitilize M---arine. If you are not familiar with Marines in regard to your effort you really need to aquaint yourself. While I sympatize with your plight I have never heard of this before and will check out the web site to see what you are all about.

outlaw3179
08-04-05, 02:44 PM
LoL .... Core

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 03:47 PM
Well, So sorry.. Marine Corps, It was stupid of me to spell this wrong.
I'm so sorry. my spelling does sux as you know. I'm very familiar with the Marines , my father was a sgt. but came out when I was 5 yrs old, do to my mothers death. But the memories I have of my family at that age would be of the Marines. I have know idea what I was thinking, so much on my mind. And so much I want to say. I fight for you guys and my family. My spelling has nonthing to do with how I feel about all of you. So please forgive me. I was just thinking Core, not Corps. And I hope for all of you , you will read are web page. I am a daughter of a Marine. Who loved it so much. So again Im sorry. Muffin

Joseph P Carey
08-04-05, 03:54 PM
With all due respect, Perhaps I am trying to understand why, when Hundreds of thousands of Marines, and members of their families, have passed through Camp LeJeune, including this writer, over the years, why is it that not more than a handful of people have suffered any problems with the water on the base? Can you please explain the problem to me! Besides, I have never heard of anything called the 'Marine Core'! Is that the inside of a new form of Apple, or could it be what lies in the depths of the ocean somewhere?

Perhaps, if you did not write 'camplejeune' and 'marine core' the way you did, I would think that this was an honest appeal for help, but, instead, it has the ring of a Nigerian Night Train Letter! It sounds like a fraud to me!

I see that you say, 'my father a marine', either you are very young, or the schools are very bad!

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Joybarker75
I want to write to ask for anyone's help . The Stand has been trying to let our senators and congressman know about what the panel recommendations are.
And I cant think of a better place to ask help then here.
These two women have been here for us watersurvivors for years now. With out them I dont think our marines and there famiies would know as much.
But on Sept 21-23, we will be taking a trip to discuss the final panels recomendations to some of our congressman and senators.
If you have anyway to help us, with a donation, or with a call to your congressman . Please go to our website and click on donations. If only 20.00 , would help out for transportation, rooms, food. Im asking you, because we are in need. To ask is hard. But were only a few people on The stand helping. And as you know this is for a good cause, it has to do with our marines, and there family. The Marine Corps or goverment has did nonthing to let more families know what happen on Camplejeune. Today we still have marines finding out. And that makes me sad, to know we have so much more to reach. Please help us make our trip to DC. http://watersurvivors.com.
Give what you can... Any is better then none. Muffin

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 04:07 PM
Well, my son is a Marine out there right now preparing to go out with the 22nd MEU and he has yet to mention anything like this the entire time he has been there. You can see how this looks UUMMMMM somewhat SUSPICIOUS PERHAPS !!!++++++++++++++++++

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 04:10 PM
You know it's hard coming on here. And it's sad you act this way!
I wish this was a plot. But it's not. I have been wanting to wake up for years, wishing this didnt happen. I'm a 30 yr old mother of two. Yes, I cant spell! {I'm sorry} You need to look it up then,CampLejeune, PCE and TCE. and yes Its sad to think only a hand full. This is why we do this. We have over 800 people on the registry. And the number of cases 50,000. Why you didnt know? Good question! Because they never told you. also you can go to {ATSDR} website. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Please I want to say sorry again for my spelling.

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 04:15 PM
no sweat, hope you are able to see this from our perspective as well..................! Sad that I act what way. You came on board asking for money...We Jarheads are a we bit suspicious and we also look out for one another as well. The fact that this has, to my knowledge, never surfaced on any Marine website I have seen so far=====once again makes this SUSPICIOUS TO ME==

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 04:18 PM
This happen in 1985 when they closed the wells. Do you really think they are talking about it?
Sir, I'm a water survivor, I was born in 1975, with a hole in my stomach, premature, and today have problems. Learning problems is one. As you can see.
And I'm blonde,,,lol
The website is for you and all families. I mean nonthing wrong. Just trying to help the STand as a member. I found out about this in 2000. Way after they closed the wells. I found out from my father who was a Marine. Because ATSDR contacted him, to do a survey on me. Because I was carried there, and born there. They said it would affect the fetus more. Please read more on website, I could mess this all up. because I cant spell, and then everyone would laugh. It kind of hurts my feelings. At this time, all I wanted was your support, in anyway. But its ok. I'm just glad you all know....

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 04:21 PM
Well that is good information to know!!! I will look in to it.....sorry about the blonde thing==LOL

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 04:22 PM
well, dont you think you have the right to know?
Why do you all think we want this out?
Just to inform you. Dont need to send any money,,lol]
Sorry for that, just asking for help anyway. Support is good for me. Thats what have been doing, trying to protect you all . anyway we got this website from ours. Some guy did this for us.Sonny of gunny did this.... A member on our site. We just heard of this.

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 04:24 PM
yeah But I'm a cute blonde,,,lol
And one who needs more spelling practice....
I didnt mean to make a joke out of this at all. I love men in uniform.. Thats what I say...lol.. Thanks

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 04:25 PM
I do
for all of us to know
won't
appreciate it
nice web site
later

GySgtRet
08-04-05, 04:38 PM
Allcon,

I have been checking this website out the last couple of nights and spoke with one of thses ladies lastnight on the phone. It seems legit. I came across in my memory speaking with the young ladty lastnight about a Marine SSgt that I took orders for. His name is SSgt Huges. He neded someone to take his orders because his wife was going through Limphoma (I hope that I spelled in correctly). You all have seen me post on here before and after speaking with this young lady lastnight I got an insight as to what was going on with this as JoyBarker75 points out she is a dependent daughter of a Marine that was born at Camp Lejeune with complications. I was leary too but after reading some of the reviews of furnished government documents there seems to be some substance to this claim. The young lady that I spoke with lastnight isn't asking for money, just medical treatments she can't work more than 15 hours per week because of her illnesses. I nknow it souinds like a lame excuse not to work. Just look at the documentions. The Navy conducted a survey after the facts had been brought out into the open. The chemicals that are sighted are definayely not fit for hunman consumption. At this point in time this group looks legit and after speaking with the lady lastnight there maybe a lot to this. Oh by the way the SSgt Huhes that I mentioned was in motor T. Sorry I do not know or remember his first name. If anybody knows him or knows of him and if his wife is still alive the watersurvivors need to speak with her to get her inout as to her illnesses.

Semper Fidelis

http://watersurvivors.com

GySgtRet
08-04-05, 04:42 PM
Ellie posted this on Leatherneck a couple of nights ago. She must have checkied it out also.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12305

Semper Fidelis

troop901
08-04-05, 04:47 PM
Just a note here, there was a problem found with the water supply in Camp Lejuene years ago which has lead to many health problems for Marines and their family members, it apparently was confined mostly to the base housing area. I have heard about this problem and yes, the govt. and the Corps attempted to cover it up for some reason.
SF

hrscowboy
08-04-05, 04:49 PM
well thank god i was never at lejuene i have enough problems with this damn agent orange I dont need to have to worry about that crap too..

sgt.lane
08-04-05, 04:53 PM
Thanks for looking into it. I can help spread the word....

GySgtRet
08-04-05, 05:11 PM
troop901, and all,

The ABC clearners just outside the maingate seems to be the problem. The well was placed about 800 feet from where the cleaners were dumping the chemicals. So if you know anybody please try and pass the word if possible. Also, 10-4 on the agent orange stuff that was never publisized till after people got on congrees about it too...!!

Semper Fidelis

PaulaInPA
08-04-05, 05:16 PM
Hello My name is Paula Orellana. And I also am a water survivor. I would just like to say before anyone passes jugement do research and then cast the first stone.
My father served his country proud 22 years of service MsgtRet he was and is proud to hold the title United States Marine!
To those of you who have not heard about the contamination that occured at Camp Lejeune and were stationed there you need to look into this.
As early back as 1950-1985 (when the wells were capped) we were being given poisons in our drinkwater on base. You want proff... well you say it sound like Joy is beind fraudulent ..... Well in this great country of ours there is a thing called "The Freedon Of Information Act" through this we member of The Stand have obtained many documents that prove how the USMC and Navy Dept. tried to push this under the rug and down play it. PLEASE take note I did not say the Marines..... for it was not those who choose to defend our country and accept the the honer of being called a Marine...it was the high ranking officials in command.
Hell you can go to the USMC web site and read about this... Still want to say it never happend? Gen Mike Haggie (maybe I misspelled his name, for I too can not spell to save my life). Let me tell you a little about Joy... she is a good woman who has suffered alot as a result of this contamination. Joy you know I care about you... but Joy is a little slow and has a heart bigger then the Corps and maybe her spelling is not the greatest but she ment no disrespect towards anyone. I am not going to ask you for help... If you research this and find maybe you were wrong in something you posted then be a MARINE and say so. Ohhh Ragh!

PaulaInPA
08-04-05, 05:30 PM
Sgt. Lane
Please go here
http://www.usmc.mil/camplejeune/clbwatersurveyinfo.nsf
HERE is a web site!

troop901
08-04-05, 05:50 PM
These Marines had every right to question, as you mentioned, its a freedom. I stated my support for Joy, I know the water was bad, saw the articles on it several years ago. Most Marines and their families dont know about this. And I think GySgtRet summed it up about the cleaners. But these Marines do not owe anyone a apology for questioning something. I hope you and Joy prevail, but never blame these Marines for asking questions to find out, for if you dont ask the question, you will never get the answer.
SF

PaulaInPA
08-04-05, 06:17 PM
You know troop901 I do not blame these Fine Marines for asking questions. I am glad they are askiing questions. I think maybe you mis understood the point I was trying to get across. I think the way...

enviro
08-04-05, 09:26 PM
As your petition states above, I will NOT help or extend any hand to people who are merely trying to go after the guy with the deepest pockets (The Navy/Marine Corps) <br />
<br />
FACT: the contamination was...

drillinstructor
08-04-05, 09:48 PM
SCAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

PaulaInPA
08-04-05, 10:14 PM
Enviro, <br />
I HAVE NOT ASKED FOR ONE PENNY FROM ANYONE! now that is out of the way. You say the USMC and Navy Dept did everything in there power to contact thoses afected. That is a lie. You say there...

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 10:52 PM
It's ok If some can accept this, It's hard being on the other side of the goverment. Who you have worked for and work for.
And you havent been sick or dying, and dead. You say scam. Thats ok, you say what you feel. But thanks to people who think like that, havent been to a meeting or heard the real cries. I to couldnt believe this myself. And just so you know, those arent the only chemicals they found. The problem is people are sick now. and children have died. my brother died 60 days after birth on Camplejeune in the 1970's, he died from premature birth, and his head was swollen, and they couldnt do anything for him. I was born after him same place , premature, hole in stomach. And my mom died at the age of 28, from her heart{ I know you say scam, please! wake up! My mom never smoked drank etc. I was 5yrs old when she died. You think we want money? Hell, I want my family back, and my life. I take a meds everyday, to just focus, and be with living, I have bipolar, and axiety disorder. You say the ABC dry cleaner did this, yeah some damage. But I'm sure the people who pay for this, want it to be them. My dad said that place was a dump! This was in the 70's. They have cleaned it up after the 80's. Why? Because they had too! I will never listen to someone who says this is crap! One of these days you will know!
Never did I think are goverment hides anything, untill this! But then again{ what about that ancient orange?} I know I didnt spell that right} How long did it take for this to get out? What they fought for us, and now they are sick and also dying. But then again they just want money? Not there health and life?
Before you say anything to me, make sure you know that I care!
But If its easier for you , to feel this way. Then thats your right!
But It's my right to have peace with this, and to fight for my family, and yours. So please what are you scared of? This will come out more and more. Sen. of vermont , has been fighting for fairness.. And what do you think he gains? If there was only a hand full? SF

Joybarker75
08-04-05, 10:56 PM
I will know longer post as well,,, I wish you all happiness, and If your still fighting! Stay strong, and god be with you, and protect you.... Muffin.. And to the veterans,, Thank you for fighting, and this girl will never forget what you all do everyday.. for freedom..

PaulaInPA
08-04-05, 11:27 PM
Public Health Assessment
U.S. Marine Corps Camp Lejeune
Military Reservation
Camp Lejeune, Onslow County, North Carolina
Cerclis No. NC6170022580
Prepared by:
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
Federal Facilities Assessment Branch
Atlanta, Georgia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is taken from this report and is not in order and is not the complete report. For a copy of the report contact the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on a table to view:

B. Volatile Organic Compound Exposure (Tap Water)
In the past, the Tarawa Terrace, Hadnot Point, and Holcomb Boulevard water distribution systems on base were contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) )(see table 2). The sources of contamination were leaks from off-base and on-base underground tanks, some of which were installed in the 1940s. VOCs make up a group of chemicals having similar physical properties. VOCs readily evaporate or volatilize into gases when exposed to air. Chemicals in this group include trichloroethylene (TCE), dichloroethylene (DCE), tetrachloroethylene (PCE), ethylene chloride, and vinyl chloride and in general my us used as dry-cleaning solutions, additives in fuels, or as solvents to dissolve grease or other compounds.

Tarawa Terrace Water Distribution System
Tap water sampling in the Tarawa Terrace water system in May 1982 detected PCE at 80ppb, a level that remained consistent during the July sampling. 1,2 DCE was detected at 12ppb,. Trace amounts of TCE were detected, but because of the laboratory instrument detection limit of 10ppb: TCE was estimated to be 8ppb. At the time of the 1982 sampling, no source for the contamination at either Hadnot Point or Tarawa Terrace system had been identified (31). Furthermore, there were no drinking water standards for these chemicals in 1982:TCE, PCE, and 1,2 DCE levels in drinking water were not regulated until the Safe Drinking Water Act was amended in 1991 (32). Sampling in February 1985 detected PCE at 215 ppb. Table 2 shows the maximum detected concentrations of VOCs at the tap and the current drinking water standard, referred to as the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) allowable.

Subsequently, it was determined that contamination at the Tarawa Terrace distribution system was caused by an off-base dry-cleaning operation (ABC Cleaners) whose septic system released the cleaning fluid PCE into the ground (33). The septic system was installed in 1954 and used until 1985. In 1985, a well supplying the Tarawa Terrace system was drilled approximately 900 feet from the dry-cleaners. Because the well was so close to the septic field, the well was probably contaminated soon after it was built. That well could have contaminated the water distribution system with PCE for as long as 30 years. Over time, contaminants migrated into a second well, located approximately 1800 feet south of the septic system, but the PCE contamination was detected before this well was put into use. In 1985, both of these contaminated were shut down (31). Unable to meet the increasing water demand without those wells, the Tarawa Terrace distribution system was closed (28). This public health assessment evaluates exposures that occurred during the time for which sampling data are available. However, the ATSDR study of birth outcomes reviewed available birth records over the longer estimated duration (1958-1985).

Hadnot Point Water Distribution System
At Hadnot Point, tap water samples contained TCE at 1400ppb and 1,2 Dichloroethylene (DCE) at 407ppb in May 1982, levels dropped to 20ppb TCE and 1,2 DCE was not detected (see table 2) (27). The drop in these levels can be explained by the use of different supply wells (a few containing contamination and others not) on different days. In the Hadnot Point system, any given well would have been in use about two-thirds of the time because water demand did not require using all wells at the same time (28). There were 39 operational wells in the system, but only 20 of those wells were used at any one time. The wells pump water to the distribution system where the water is blended and treated. This process means that although the contamination is them spread from the one well to the entire distribution system, it is also diluted by being combined with water from uncontaminated wells. Chlorine, fluoride, and softeners are added to the water before it is pumped to water towers before distribution. (28). The possible sources of contamination at the Hadnot Point distribution system are leaking underground storage tanks containing TCE and fuels, spills during vehicle maintenance operations, and disposal of drums at Sites 6, 9, and 82 and associated storage lots in OU 2 (29,79)

In July 1984, as part of the Navy Assessment and Control of Installation Pollutants (NACIP) Program, MCB Camp Lejeune conducted water quality sampling in wells on base. They found that eight of the 39 wells in use at Hadnot Point and one of the seven wells in use at Tarawa Terrace were contaminated with VOCs. All nine wells were abandoned and have not been used in the drinking water system since 1985 (28).

Holcomb Boulevard Water Distribution System
On January 27, 1985 a generator fuel line at the Holcomb Boulevard water distribution plant burst, leaking fuel into the system. This situation was identified after the base received complaints of a gasoline smell in on-base residential tap water (31). MCB performed sampling of the system and found that gasoline had entered the Holcomb Boulevard distribution system. The system was immediately shut down and flushed out. Emergency back-up water was them pumped from the Hadnot Point system, whose VIC contamination was not yet identified, into the Holcomb Boulevard distribution lines. Tap water samples taken from Berkeley Manor Elementary School in the Holcomb Boulevard system on January 31, 1985, contained TCE at 1148ppb and DCE at 407 ppb (Table 2). Contaminants measured at several points in the Holcomb Boulevard system were consistent with samples taken from the Hadnot Point Water treatment plant on the same date. Therefore, the source of TCE and DCE in the Holcomb Boulevard system originated from the contaminated emergency water supplied by the Hadnot Point system. People were switched back to the clean Holcomb Boulevard system 12 days later.

It all came from ABC cleaners huh?

sonofagunney
08-04-05, 11:33 PM
ENVIRO,
Good evening sir. Thank you for your comments and your opinion in the matter regarding the Contamination of Drinking Water Supplies at the Military Housing Installations, MCB, Camp Lejeune, NC . However, I also take "personal offense" to most of the comments in your post. Your comment about "being given poisons in our drinking water being intentional", I don't feel anyone in our organization feels it was intentional on anyone's part. Our primary issue is that the surveys and tests were "only conducted" on women who were pregnant and living in base housing from 1968 through 1985. Aproximately 16,000 notifications were attempted and only 130 possible cases were identified. We are requesting that the studies be extended to the early 1950s when the wells were contstructed and to notify those that may have been affected, approximately 200,000 to 500,000. Yes it will be costly and time consuming, although I am sure you will agree that your statement of "billions" already spent is an extreme exaggeration. I would like to apologize if anything you may have read or heard about our organization, "The Stand" was misinterpreted by you or out of context. I assure you that myself and those I am aquainted with in our organization have the highest respect for our Armed Forces from the Commander in Chief down to the newest private and that our intentions were not to "infiltrated my sanctuary." Thank you again for your comments.
David Martin

troop901
08-05-05, 12:12 AM
This is not a scam, I was at Lejeune and I heard about this water contamination. Now the way it was gone about can be questioned. I think they have answered all of our questions. They are not calling into question our Marine Corps, only those in the govt. who knew. You are not required to give to their cause, their are so many out there that we all would be broke by now, and yes, I am cause I am married to da warden and she spends it. But I will not and can not turn my back on the dependent of a Marine. Let them have their voice heard, yes, Paula ****ed me off in a way with her post, but I got over it and yes, I talked to her since, she is a nice lady, just listen to what she has to say. It is not anti Marine. And this is out of charactor fer me, as ya know, I am the original Becker, ya know that tv series lol. But I also know about that water problem. Let them speak, for those who turn a deaf ear to what they dont want to hear is deaf themself.
SF

Riven37
08-05-05, 02:58 AM
I've heard something about this water issue on LaJune or was it off Base, that some families are coming up with health issues; due to bad water. Well, I was in LaJune in 69 hope it becomes retro pay, I sure could use some money.

hrscowboy
08-05-05, 10:15 AM
Why has this not been shown on 60 minutes or 48 hours or Fox news reported this...... surely some news agency would report this..

GySgtRet
08-05-05, 11:41 AM
hrscowboy,

I think that would be a good step to get this out. I have seen an appeal that if memebers have contacts in the media they are trying for this???? I don't know for sure. There seems to be a certain deniability to this and hopefully a news anchor somewhere will hear about it and run the story. With newsweek getting egged like they did about the coran at Gitmo they may be a lot shy about a subject matter on the magnetude of this??? Just speculating of course.

Semper Fidelis

PaulaInPA
08-05-05, 12:48 PM
http://www.walb.com/global/Story.asp?s=1672068
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/2863248/detail.html
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/asseenon/2857142/detail.html
http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=89D3157D-D05F-4D88-AECB-C9D9C18EC81F
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/2840434/detail.html
http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?s=1626769
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A54143-2004Jan27&notFound=true

Joybarker75
08-05-05, 02:00 PM
This has been on the news!
CNN,,2000
Has been on Fox new DC
Some state no it hasnt. But in NC It has. Trust me, we are trying to get media, that was a recommendation from the last Panel, that this needs to be out! That why we are here. Thats the truth.
We want all Marines and there family to know. Can you imagine If these well had been contaminated for years, how many people have went to Lejeune? They are spread everywhere now. How important this is, and how much they should know? If they are sick and there kids? And they have know idea why? If they know then maybe they can help themselves, and others. They way I feel , Is that the goverment has the power to make this more public. But instead we have to find ways and means to do this.
I said I wouldnt write anymore, but I cant let dissapointment keep me from this. And not every one will agree to why we are doing this. And If your not open to hearing the facts. I cant tell you anything else. I have been with this group for 4yrs going on 5. We have been let down, and picked up so many times. If I didnt feel this was wrong, I would move over. I have never been good at speaking. But this has been something, that affected me, and has taken my mother, and brother. My family know longer is here! I have started my own family, with my two kids. And If this passes on to hurt them , I would die! My kids are my life. My son wants to be a military man , he told me yesterday, when we passed the field they practice in. And I think to myself, good for you son. How proud I am of this little 8 yr old.{ but of course he wants to be a Marine Biologist} fireman, etc.... I want to be here for my kids, and it scares me to think, I might not be. I think a lot of us feel that, on the stand. This is for the kids as well. The next generation, who will be taking over. My mother wasnt here, when I started first grade, or anything. I dont remember what a hug felt like form her. Or what her voice sounds like. It was all taken away. In a flash}...I had to be strong, and brave. But every night I remember, crying looking out the window waiting for her to come back. Not understanding this women that took care of me, and fixed everything was gone, and she wasnt coming back.
My father ,, on the other hand.. handle it by marring again,But never found my mother in them. My father is like a lot of you! He's a strong man, the marines made him strong. But after this, when he found out,, it started making sense to him. She got sick fast , she never had a chance. And he told me I never had a chance... But see I do! I'm a live , so as long as I am, I will fight for my mother, father, brother, and me,,, and my family. And evryone else who suffers. When your in a room with all these people who have been living the life you have been, and feeling there pain, the same pain you have felt for years. You cry! and Cry! Not just for your family, but for everyone who has suffer. I would never leave them behind. Maybe I do have , what you all have. Pride! the pride you feel in each other, when your fighting. Pride in America, that this is still the best place to live! And god is on all are side{ You would never let a man die with out helping him first. He's one of you, he's there for all of us. I cant make any of you get involved. I have know motive, just a mission. To have peace when this is over. Knowing I saved lives, and my childrens.
I have written many people of this,,congressman , senators,,etc.
Just got a letter today from sen.Chris S Bond, from Missouri,{ he's not even my senator. Just saying he will be reviewing and assessing this matter. I hope you all have a good day...

Joybarker75
08-05-05, 02:04 PM
Troop901,,, I'm from Ohio, But Live in VA now, My father the Marine lives in Ohio...

enviro
08-05-05, 02:44 PM
I think you ladies missed the point - I never once disputed your claims. I know what happened at TT and know the story very well. It's my job to know.

You've made some mis-statements and mis-spellings that drive people around here crazy. You've tried to compliment but have only offended. I think your heart is in the right place but you are fighting your battles in the wrong way. (Not just on this forum)

I caution you on who you align yourself with. There are many trying to take advantage of this sad situation.

One of the worst things you can do is try to get allies from another forum over here to keep repeating the same things. They would not be welcomed here if that is their sole intention.

And for David - "Your comment about "being given poisons in our drinking water being intentional", I don't feel anyone in our organization feels it was intentional on anyone's part." That comment was clearly made on this site by one of you. Get on the same sheet of music. Accusations like that don't set to well with some of us.

And yes - I can say every attempt was made to contact those affected. I know this to be a fact. It's my job to know.

Joybarker75
08-05-05, 02:55 PM
I think you are wrong,,and I feel you should make more attempts.
One time or two times doesnt reach everyone.
Theres people everywhere. And my father never got anything from you,,,fact}
So sorry but I feel you are wrong In this. I'm with the right people sir! And maybe you guys should make more attempts then?
Dont you think? People join us everyday, and they havent found out by you at all,{fact}..... I think these subjects are touching home, and it's your job. But not you alone. You have a boss as well, And how long have you had this job may i ask? And are you at Camplejeune? If not, then how do you know, and truly understand. First you should get media, If nonthing Is to be hidden. They waited 5 yrs, to close wells. And then it to longer to even come close to media. Something is not right! I'm so sorry, but they risk more people lives, when they didnt have to. No! more post from me on here..later

PaulaInPA
08-05-05, 04:44 PM
Enviro,
"On the other hand, if your medical conditions are as you say (and were possibly caused by the TT drinking water if you were born during that timeframe and lived on TT) "
I believe this to be a dipute against our claim.

"Are you accusing the Environmental Affairs Department of purposely contaminating your drinking water? "

We are not accusing anyone of purposely contaminating our drinking water. Facts are facts.
The USMC and Navy dept knew for years the wells on base (not all) were contaminated but because there were no drinking water safty standerds in effect they continued to supply the contaminated water to the housing areas and surounding areas on base untill 1985 when the wells were caped (USMC documents state this) But I bet HQ drank bottled water.

"FACT: the contamination was caused by the dry cleaners off base."
This Sir is is not a full fact. 3 of the 12 wells were contaminated in part by ABC cleaners, which the USMC drilled within 900 feet of the drycleaners. To close.
The remaining 9wells were contaminated by on base sources, such as leaking barrels that had been burried on base. (yet another USMC document)

"Then every attempt was made to locate every person that lived in TT within a specified timeframe and provide testing and medical assistance. "
If this be a true statement..why have I meself talked to aprox 25-30 former residents of Camp Lejeune who resided on base during the specified time fram that were un aware of it.
Why were the women who concived and lived on base BUT had to diliver there children off base , because base hospital was full,
not included in the inital study?

To whom have you provided medical assistance? Of the over 800 members of The Stand, I know of not one who has recived any medical assistance from the USMC or Navy Dept in regards to the water contamiination.

You also state that some in our group are looking for a "Free Ride" this may be true but I can ashure (sp) you then ones who post and fight and push to get the word out like myself and Joy are not looking for a free ride.

Sir I would like for you to answer my questions and respond to my post if possiable. and please forgive my anger in my previous post. I am not a liar and when confronted with untruths I get very angry.

Thank you. And my spelling is bad and I am sorry for that as well but I try.

enviro
08-05-05, 11:51 PM
This is a difficult subject to get into full detail about because there are so many things that you don't understand about "why" things are done the way they are.

While it is true that the circumstances in which you face are difficult, I assure you that this has been no picnic for the Marine Corps. It's not something we choose to live with nor is it our finest hour by far.

To accuse the people on the forefront of this and the command staff that lead us everyday of a "cover up" or not caring about your plight is just plain wrong. That's simply not the way it is. Our command staff does care very deeply about this subject and we all know that it is not going to just go away if we ignore it. None of us who have worked on this project would ignore it even if we had the choice.

I think that some of you feel that the ATSDR and the Department of Health somehow got involved because of a whistleblower or stumbled upon this by accident. We called them. We pay for the studies and the lab testing. We pay for the consultations and the contacts. We do the right thing as far as what we can do and are allowed to do.

My advice is to direct your attack to your congressman and senators from your area. Why? Because they will have to be the ones to authorize more medical care and compensation for the victims. They control every dollar the Navy and Marine Corps spends. There is no legislative criteria to give you what you are seeking (I assume medical care at a minimum and compensation for your loss or disability). Hammer them hard with your requests and get their attention.

My advice on what to do is:

- Don't accuse the Navy / Marine Corps of a cover-up. That never happened. You wouldn't have all the info you have now if we wanted to cover it up and there isn't a damn thing any other agency could do about it. How do you cite official USMC documents and then say it's a cover-up?

- Don't accuse our leadership of somehow denying you whatever it is you are seeking. It isn't their decision to make. And trust me - a lot of them lived on Camp Lejeune and drank the same water you drank.

- Don't make snide comments about how we knew the wells were contaminated and somehow thought it best to drink bottled water (which was hardly available during this timeframe) with the poor peasants suffered. I have drank that water and much worse in foreign countries with my command staff doing the same thing.

- Understand. Understand that environmental education was non-existant and minimal at best during this timeframe. The EPA wasn't even enacted until December 1970 and had virtually no power until the late 1980's. They had absolutely no power on a military installation until 1992 (Federal Facilities Compliance Act of 1992). Very few in America actually knew enough about the environment to even give a damn about it during this time frame.

- Know that people on the inside share your frustration as much as you do. Know that people are out there wanting to capitalize on this event as much as possible. Know that every member that is a part of your group may not be there for honorable reasons, or may not be there for the right reasons - (many people have gastric reflux disease and liver problems but never lived on TT)

- Stop generalizing the entire plight based on your experience or what you have read. Also realize that you may not entirely understand what you are reading - unless you have many years of experience in toxicology or environmental studies.

- Stop presenting the information here with every post like it's something new. I agree with you. It happened. I know more than you'll ever know about what happened. I cannot deny it. But I do have a much broader picture to look at so I understand it more.

And yes - I was stationed at Camp Lejeune for a very long time and have been involved in this project for a long time. I have a Master's Degree in Environmental Management and many years of experience to boot. I have recently moved on from this project but am still connected enough to tell you exactly what is going on. I have grown tired of dealing with scam artists and shysters. I have seen many grassroots organizations become violent and extremists and never listen to reason. I have dealt with the sick, lame, and the lazy.

It is unfortunate that no one in your 800 member group has been contacted or received testing and treatment. Hard to believe but I can't really challenge it. As I said before - contact your legislative officials and make them do the right thing. Our hands are tied.

Also realize that we take care of our own as to the best of our ability. People living in TT were there for a reason. They were Marines and family members of Marines. Now I know that ALL the Marines can file a claim with the VA and get medical treatment if they were found to have incurred ailments and disabilites while on active duty, they will be taken care of. Family members do not get this service because why?.... Congress has not authorized it! Again, our hands are tied.

Do you want a solution or do you want to point fingers? In fact, what is it that you want? I've heard you don't want money or compensation - then what is it that you want? An apology? A hanging? A clean bottle of water? Is your objective to crucify someone for this?

Seriously, if not money, then what? If it's medical care then simply make the appropriate applications to the appropriate agencies. If it's to let everyone know why they could be experiencing medical problems, then do the research and find these people yourself - that ought to be easy right? Every Marine that has every lived on TT has made sure we have his current address at all times - right? Is it something you could do but our inept commanders could not?

Let me know - I'll forward the request to the appropriate people if it's valid. Maybe you have something in mind we've never thought of. But I really hope you don't waste any more time here and instead go find your congressman. Get him to introduce a bill and let congress authorize whatever it is that you seek. I promise you that if they authorize it, it will be done.

Don't write - go see them. They are all home right now on summer break. Sit in their office until they see you. Give them sincerity and demand action. If they don't give action, start a campaign to vote them out next time around. Make your voice heard with the right people. Let them lead the fight. Otherwise, I can promise you that nothing - and I mean nothing - is authorized beyond what we are already doing.

PaulaInPA
08-06-05, 07:24 AM
Enviro,

Well enough said. And why do you thiink we came on here in the first place and posted. We are going to Washington. I willl be meeting with both of my congressmen. No i do not want money. You keep asking what it is I want and over again I have stated I want medical care. Now I do not have a Master's Degree in Environmental Management but I have done research on these chemicals aand the amount. Let me tell you a little about me and I have not posted this before because I did not want to sound like i was a pesant beging and looking for sympathy, but maybe you will understand where I am comming from. When I was a child I would have sever abdominal pain (5-7 years old) Back and forth to the base hospitals, enamas, barrie a enamas (sp) needles, test, untill one day a doctor insirted his finger into my rectum and discovered I had an inlarged liver. Numerious coughs cold like symptoms so yes more anitbiotcis. Constant yeast infection, and urinary tract infections,( more anitbiotics) when I menstrate (sp) it is for 7-10 days and very very heavy, I have had cervical cancer, lost the sight in my right eye, but by the grace of God I have recovered 85% vision and am told that is the best it will get, I have a brain tumor and kidney problems, and to top it off the doctors think I have MS. My body has now built up an immunity to antibiotics. So if I need to have them (for an infection) I must be admitted to the hospital. Oh what fun! I must find someone to take care of my children during this time.
When the group of people went back to NC to meet with YOUR pannel we provided them with documentation that they did not have, but they were hand picked by "the USMC" so why didn't they have it already.
No one in my family has any of this, no cancers, brain tumors, kidney problems, loss of sight but yet I am to be told it is genetic???
I am 35 years old and would like to be around at least untill my children are old enough to take care of them selves. But I am scared I won't be.

You only refer to TT what about Hadnot Point, Berkley Manor, Hospital Point????? Lots 201 and 203 DPDO site on Main side, well 651? What about this?
And not being rude But I wouldl ike to see your proof.

Bottom line is... You knew the wells were contaminated and you knew what these vocs could do, but continued to supply the contaminated water. Excape goat: No safty standers for drinking water were set at this time. so it was ok to supply us with the water.