PDA

View Full Version : Commander Marine Corps Forces, Pacific awarded for faithful service

thedrifter
08-03-05, 03:48 AM
Commander Marine Corps Forces, Pacific awarded for faithful service
Marine Forces Pacific
Story by Lance Cpl. R. Drew Hendricks

U.S. MARINE CORPS FORCES PACIFIC, CAMP H. M. SMITH, Hawaii (Aug. 1, 2005) -- Lt. Gen. Wallace C. Gregson, commander of U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific was awarded the Order of National Security Gookseon Medal by the Honorable
Heung-Sik Choi, Consul-General of the Republic of Korea, Aug. 1.

The medal was presented to Lt. Gen. Gregson on behalf of the President of the Republic of Korea.

Lt. Gen. Gregson received the award in recognition of his loyal service and monumental contributions, which improved the national security of the Republic of Korea.

Before the medal was awarded, the two leaders sat together and reminisced about old memories and hard times.

“Thank you for all your help throughout the years. Out of all the things we have learned from each other, I think that friendship is most important,” said
Consul-General Choi.

The award ceremony was bittersweet for these two men. Lt. Gen. Gregson will be relinquishing command of MARFORPAC, Aug 3, and will no longer be working with the Koreans as the commander of MARFORPAC.

However, Lt. Gen. Gregson added, “I’m not quite sure what my plans are at the moment, but I do hope that I will be working with the Koreans in some respect.”

Consul-General Choi agreed with the idea almost immediately. “We know that you will always be a help to us. Once a Marine, forever a Marine.”

Consul-General Choi went on to add how important it was that Lt. Gen. Gregson be a part of the alliance between the two countries. He praised Lt. Gen. Gregson for the contributions he has made and his understanding of how important this alliance is.

“This is a great honor to receive this award, especially from the president. I hope to continue my work in Asia,” said Lt. Gen. Gregson.

Ellie