PDA

View Full Version : Thank you

Joybarker75
08-02-05, 01:08 PM
I want to Thank this website for letting us talk about Camplejeune Nc, tainted water, and hopefully more miliatry families will know. I myself, am a watersurvivor. My father was a Marine, we lived in Cali, and Pa, and NC. My father was at Lejeune for a while.
My mother was a great person,, who took care of my father and me. She died , when she was 28 yrs old, while my dad was staioned in Pa. I was 5yrs old, and my sister was 3. My father had to leave the marine core, so he could take care of us. My mother died from her heart. She didnt smoke, drink,,,etc, anything that would cause a bad heart. But she went into surgery, and didnt come back. My dad was a mess! He loved the core! I was born in 1975, at camplejuene, and was born with a hole in my stomach, premature, and have problems today. My brother who was born before me on Camplejuene died, born premature. I understand anyone defending there family, but to defend what has happen is another. Dont be fooled by what they tell you. The goverment wants to push us away. We're fighting for all Marines and family! This happened, yes I know they had some regulations. They didnt want this to come out in the 80's because Civil Action ' the movie was coming out. And to push it right then , would not be a good thing. { we have the documents that prove it.} The Stand wants some Justice to this. Somone to say were sorry, and we want to help you. They say you never leave a man behind, so why leave us behind? You know sen.warner wont even meet with me. Why? Because to look us in the eyes can be harder, then to write a letter of bull.
I love the marines, my memories I have of my mom are with the marines. And good memories of my dad are there, I was a daddys girl. always on his lap when he was in his uniform, my dad honored the marines like all of you, he married in his uniform.
The two things that was important to him at the time was my mom, his wife, and the marines. And it all ended when she died.
And so did he. And another thing thats sad is, when I got my medical records of my surgery, becasue they said I was born with this hole. I found out that they caused it by a feeding tube, they preforated my stomach, and said nonthing of this to my family, I was close to death, untill they opened me up from naval to chest,and fixed the hole{ That left a huge scar to this day.} So see I have some problem with this. If they couldnt tell the truth then why now? But for the men and women who fight, and who have been in battle, I love you all. This goes much higher then you . And no one blames you. I believe for no one to know for 30yrs is bull, and I cant except that. And to just come out after 2000, when I found out is another thing. They knew of this when it stated high vocs in the water. and they didnt close it, because it would be to expensive to get water some place else. They choosed to leave it open , and take more lives. When we get a hurricane what happens for weeks? You find a way to have water, red cross ,,what ever you can. They had a choice to shut it down. and tell the community right then and there. WE HAD A CHOICE TO DRINK IT OR BATHE IN IT.
But they didnt give us a choice, they made it on there own. Women and children are sick, and some dead. and men are sick and dying, of rare cancers, etc... The fact is someone played with lives, that didnt want to be played with. And there choice to do that , means they need to fix more then the water, but the peoples life they affected..
Love, Joy{muffin}

The STand....

GySgtRet
08-02-05, 04:48 PM
Joybarker75,

I vaguely remember this topic. I was stationed at CL and at New River, from 1987 - 1989. When I retired in 1993 I had a clean bill of health other than a degenerative disc. In 2000 it was found that I have type 2 diabeties. Is this one of the symtomes of the tainted water do you think? Also, what was the source of the tainting and what were you told at the time if you remeber anything? I am interested in the cause but I need to know a lot more before I get involved.

Joybarker75
08-02-05, 07:04 PM
B. Volatile Organic Compound Exposure (Tap Water)
In the past, the Tarawa Terrace, Hadnot Point, and Holcomb Boulevard water distribution systems on base were contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) )(see table 2). The sources of contamination were leaks from off-base and on-base underground tanks, some of which were installed in the 1940s. VOCs make up a group of chemicals having similar physical properties. VOCs readily evaporate or volatilize into gases when exposed to air. Chemicals in this group include trichloroethylene (TCE), dichloroethylene (DCE), tetrachloroethylene (PCE), ethylene chloride, and vinyl chloride and in general my us used as dry-cleaning solutions, additives in fuels, or as solvents to dissolve grease or other compounds.

Tarawa Terrace Water Distribution System
Tap water sampling in the Tarawa Terrace water system in May 1982 detected PCE at 80ppb, a level that remained consistent during the July sampling. 1,2 DCE was detected at 12ppb,. Trace amounts of TCE were detected, but because of the laboratory instrument detection limit of 10ppb: TCE was estimated to be 8ppb. At the time of the 1982 sampling, no source for the contamination at either Hadnot Point or Tarawa Terrace system had been identified (31). Furthermore, there were no drinking water standards for these chemicals in 1982:TCE, PCE, and 1,2 DCE levels in drinking water were not regulated until the Safe Drinking Water Act was amended in 1991 (32). Sampling in February 1985 detected PCE at 215 ppb. Table 2 shows the maximum detected concentrations of VOCs at the tap and the current drinking water standard, referred to as the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) allowable.

Subsequently, it was determined that contamination at the Tarawa Terrace distribution system was caused by an off-base dry-cleaning operation (ABC Cleaners) whose septic system released the cleaning fluid PCE into the ground (33). The septic system was installed in 1954 and used until 1985. In 1985, a well supplying the Tarawa Terrace system was drilled approximately 900 feet from the dry-cleaners. Because the well was so close to the septic field, the well was probably contaminated soon after it was built. That well could have contaminated the water distribution system with PCE for as long as 30 years. Over time, contaminants migrated into a second well, located approximately 1800 feet south of the septic system, but the PCE contamination was detected before this well was put into use. In 1985, both of these contaminated were shut down (31). Unable to meet the increasing water demand without those wells, the Tarawa Terrace distribution system was closed (28). This public health assessment evaluates exposures that occurred during the time for which sampling data are available. However, the ATSDR study of birth outcomes reviewed available birth records over the longer estimated duration (1958-1985).

Hadnot Point Water Distribution System
At Hadnot Point, tap water samples contained TCE at 1400ppb and 1,2 Dichloroethylene (DCE) at 407ppb in May 1982, levels dropped to 20ppb TCE and 1,2 DCE was not detected (see table 2) (27). The drop in these levels can be explained by the use of different supply wells (a few containing contamination and others not) on different days. In the Hadnot Point system, any given well would have been in use about two-thirds of the time because water demand did not require using all wells at the same time (28). There were 39 operational wells in the system, but only 20 of those wells were used at any one time. The wells pump water to the distribution system where the water is blended and treated. This process means that although the contamination is them spread from the one well to the entire distribution system, it is also diluted by being combined with water from uncontaminated wells. Chlorine, fluoride, and softeners are added to the water before it is pumped to water towers before distribution. (28). The possible sources of contamination at the Hadnot Point distribution system are leaking underground storage tanks containing TCE and fuels, spills during vehicle maintenance operations, and disposal of drums at Sites 6, 9, and 82 and associated storage lots in OU 2 (29,79)

In July 1984, as part of the Navy Assessment and Control of Installation Pollutants (NACIP) Program, MCB Camp Lejeune conducted water quality sampling in wells on base. They found that eight of the 39 wells in use at Hadnot Point and one of the seven wells in use at Tarawa Terrace were contaminated with VOCs. All nine wells were abandoned and have not been used in the drinking water system since 1985 (28).

Holcomb Boulevard Water Distribution System
On January 27, 1985 a generator fuel line at the Holcomb Boulevard water distribution plant burst, leaking fuel into the system. This situation was identified after the base received complaints of a gasoline smell in on-base residential tap water (31). MCB performed sampling of the system and found that gasoline had entered the Holcomb Boulevard distribution system. The system was immediately shut down and flushed out. Emergency back-up water was them pumped from the Hadnot Point system, whose VIC contamination was not yet identified, into the Holcomb Boulevard distribution lines. Tap water samples taken from Berkeley Manor Elementary School in the Holcomb Boulevard system on January 31, 1985, contained TCE at 1148ppb and DCE at 407 ppb (Table 2). Contaminants measured at several points in the Holcomb Boulevard system were consistent with samples taken from the Hadnot Point Water treatment plant on the same date. Therefore, the source of TCE and DCE in the Holcomb Boulevard system originated from the contaminated emergency water supplied by the Hadnot Point system. People were switched back to the clean Holcomb Boulevard system 12 days later.

They found more then Pce and tce, that came form dry cleaner, and motor pool. This is a little about it, go to http://watersurvivors.com
And under history, or newsletter, to find out more.

Joybarker75
08-02-05, 07:08 PM
Also you can go to this website http://www.tftptf. com/page4.html .
Look under facts to your left, we have documents of stuff. You will be surprise read up! Explore that website as well. Muffin

GySgtRet
08-02-05, 09:19 PM
"The EPA is conducting a criminal investigation into the contamination" This will not solve the cases. Just get down to business and fix it...!!! Putting the blame somewhere can happen later. Does anybody really think that guilty parties are going to fess up to this? It is ludicrous to think that someone will stepup and I say that they knew about the contaminations, especially after knowing about it for 5 YEARS. It seems to me that the culprit seems to be the drycleaners??? And what motor pool? I really feel for the families and the victims. These Marines and dependents put trust in the system that is provided and well the result was death and birth defects. In my simple way of thinking you can find out who the engineers where at the time both on Camp Lejeune and in Jacksonville.

God Bless the victims and their families. RIP

GySgtRet
08-02-05, 09:22 PM
Joybarker75,

The website could not be found. Can you please check it for us?
http://www.tftptf. com/page4.html

cajunguy
08-02-05, 09:27 PM
Here ya go there Gunny.

http://www.tftptf.com/page4.html

(Muffin had put a space 'tween the "dot" and the "com".)

GySgtRet
08-02-05, 09:32 PM
cajunguy,

Thank you. Were you stationed there during this time? I hope not. Semper Fidelis

Joybarker75
08-02-05, 11:06 PM
About abc dry cleaners check out 5 yr review
http://www.epa.gov/region4/waste/npl/nplnc/abc5.pdf
put for address.