PDA

View Full Version : Marine major shares history

thedrifter
08-01-05, 06:45 AM
Marine major shares history
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Lance Cpl. Scott M. Biscuiti

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan (July 29, 2005) -- He slowly made his way up a grassy hill – the site of one of the bloodiest conflicts during the Battle of Okinawa. It was the first time Dean Elliot, an 80-year-old World War II veteran set foot on the hallowed ground since he battled there 60 years ago.

Thanks to Maj. Ron Dennard, deputy staff intelligence officer, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, Elliot and several other veterans have made pilgrimages similar to Elliot’s to these historic sites.

Dennard, a WWII history enthusiast and ardent collector of artifacts, dedicates much of his time furthering his own knowledge of history as well as educating others.
At an early age, Dennard was exposed to a subject that would ultimately turn into his life’s passion.

“As a kid, I was always fascinated with World War II battles,” said Dennard, a Houston native. “I grew up hearing war stories from the pacific and did a lot of reading about it.”
During his 25-year Marine Corps career, Dennard spent about 10 years on Okinawa educating himself about the Battle of Okinawa.

“I started out reading books about military history, and when I came out here I started reading about the Battle of Okinawa,” Dennard said. “I own almost every book written about the battle.”

In 1993, Dennard started exploring battle sites. He would read books about the various battles that occurred on Okinawa, find the location of the battles through research, and examine them thoroughly.

“I try to find sites that are not usually found in books,” Dennard said. “I explore back roads, find memorials and search the area to find out what happened there.”

Dennard said he is an avid collector of historical objects from the WWII era. He started to get serious about collecting in 1999, the same year he gave his first battle sites tour. In the past six years, he has given well over 50 tours.

“When I met Maj. Dennard, the first thing I saw in his office was a collection of (artifacts),” said Staff Sgt. Rich Deuto, signals intelligence chief, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.
“He showed me how many battle sites there are on the island. As soon as he starts speaking about battles, you can tell this man knows what he is talking about. He is very well educated in all aspects of the battle.”

Dennard said he gives tours because of his love of history and has never accepted money for his services.

“I enjoy sharing the knowledge with enthusiastic participants,” he said. “I have taken many veterans out to battle sites also.”

It’s a magical experience bringing a veteran up to a site where they fought. Hearing the veterans speak about their battles can give the listener a new aspect about the fight, something not found in books, Dennard said.

“I love seeing the smiles on the veterans faces when they realize they are back,” Dennard said. “In my heart and soul, I am so filled with gratitude and honor when they share their stories with me.”

Dennard’s vast knowledge of WWII battles has given him a chance to share the information with distinguished members of the Marine Corps community including Secretary of the Navy Gordon R. England, Commandant of the Marine Corps. Gen. Michael W. Hagee and III Marine Expeditionary Force and Marine Corps bases Japan commanding general, Lt. Gen. Robert R. Blackman Jr.
Dennard said if it was up to him he would spend the rest of his life traveling the world seeing battle sites.

“He has a genuine passion for it,” Deuto said. “He will be exploring history forever.”

Ellie