PDA

View Full Version : Marine battles back personal loss to serve in Iraq

thedrifter
08-01-05, 06:42 AM
Marine battles back personal loss to serve in Iraq
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Ruben D. Maestre

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (July 30, 2005) -- The life of Lance Cpl. Thomas R. Patterson is a tale of personal strength through tough times. Deployed for a second tour to Iraq last March, the 21-year-old from Columbus, Ohio, returned back to the states within a week to bury his mother.

“I received two weeks to go home to attend my mother’s funeral and get my head together,” said the activated Marine reservist. “I didn’t really feel like I had enough time to deal with the loss and put myself back together because I was in shambles after losing my mom.”

Despite his loss, Patterson found inspiration from his mother’s wisdom. The trained telephone wireman realized he had to continue and not give up on himself or those around him.

“I found out a quick lesson in life. I had to say to myself, ‘My mom is gone, but I still have a life to live. That is what she would want,’” said the administrative support staff member assigned with the Base Operations and Life Support section, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Headquarters Group, II MEF (FWD). “I didn’t want to run away from my responsibilities and the Marine Corps is one of them.”

Being responsible was not a major concern for Patterson when he attended Gahanna-Lincoln High School in Gahanna, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus. Growing up in Columbus with family members battling drug addiction and run-ins with the law, Patterson did fairly well in grade school and dreamed of attending Ohio State University.

Ironically, it was when he moved in with his father in Gahanna, he started slipping away from his studies.

“You would have thought everything would have been a lot easier for me. I lived in an upper class neighborhood, was enrolled in a good school district and the people around me were actually doing something positive,” said the 2002 high school graduate. “That wasn’t the case though. My grades dropped tremendously, I became a little bit more rebellious and I was lucky I never got into any trouble with the law.”

The negative actions of his family in Columbus had brought heartfelt pain to Patterson. He used his anguish as an excuse to be irresponsible in high school, but Patterson knew if he were to accomplish his goal of attending Ohio State, he would have to find the determination necessary to achieve his dream.

He decided to join the Marine Corps.

“My main reason for joining was the discipline factor,” said Patterson. “A big goal of mine was to go to college, but I knew I wasn’t going to be able to do it with the grades I made in high school.”

His mother was proud of him becoming a Marine. As a member of the reserves, he was assigned to Communications Company, Headquarters Battalion, 4th Marine Division based in Cincinnati.

With new resolve, Patterson also began taking courses at a local community college.

“My whole attitude about myself and my education just changed,” said the new Marine. “I went from just barely getting a 2.0 [grade point average] in high school and being tardy 27 times during my senior year to reaching a 4.0 my first quarter in college and having perfect attendance.”

Cutting his studies short, Patterson was deployed to Iraq in February 2004, serving nearly eight months at Camp Blue Diamond in Ramadi, Iraq.

The college student returned to Iraq five months later providing administrative support to his section and assisting in any duties arising from II MEF Headquarters Group.

Despite the demanding regimen, Patterson is content with his choice in joining the Marine Corps. The self-confidence, self-discipline and the bonds forged here have affected him immensely.

“The thing I like the most about the Marine Corps is camaraderie. Marines are the most disciplined, physically fit and confident group of people I have ever been around,” said Patterson. “Being a Marine is synonymous with being the best and I am glad I can call myself a Marine.”

The wayward high school student who became a Marine has been accepted into Ohio State University starting next spring. Patterson is considering moving from business studies to pursuing a teaching degree upon completion of his tour.

Ellie