PDA

View Full Version : Helmet questions

wpdleo
08-01-05, 05:09 AM
Hi y'all,

I've been out of the Corps and out of touch for about 6 years now. There has been a lot of changes in the Corps. It used to be that we would get all the crappy equipment that no one wants but right before I got out, it seems like the Corps is getting the best of everything.

I have a question in regards to the 782 gear. We were issued the LBV and new sleeping bags back in 95 or 96. I can't really remember and we got the MOLLE packs in 98. Have these equipment been replaced with newer and better stuff? Is the Marine Corps still using the PASGT helmet or have gone to MICH completely? If the Corps is still using the PASGT, is there a strap for the night vision equipment or does it have to be a fixed mount? Just wan to know if anyone out there cared to enlighten me. Thank you. Semper Fi.

USMCgrunt0331
08-01-05, 05:37 AM
There are new sleeping systems now that even include a little pillow. The MOLLE packs have been replaced by the SALLE packs. There are new helmets now (not sure of the actual name) that have black chinstraps that clip together instead of a button, come with several velcro cushioning pads that can be inserted for however best fits you, and is lighter. It also has a different kevlar helmet cover, it has an opening in the front for NVG's and a velcro flap in the back (something to do with radios, I'm not sure) and is 2 sided, you can flip it inside out to make it desert. Not sure if you had them when you were in but we also have 3-point slings now, and instead of the old flaks most Marines have Interceptors. We also have new pistol holsters which have a quick release button instead of just pushing it forward.

wpdleo
08-01-05, 05:47 AM
Thank you very much. We did not have all those goodies when I was in. We thought MOLLE was the greatest invention ever. But I guess they came up with something better. Is the helmet you are talking about the MICH helmet? It does not have a lip like the old PASGT. Can you post a picture of it and is this helmet issued service wide or only to a few specific units? Thanks

USMCgrunt0331
08-01-05, 05:59 AM
I believe it is the MICH helmet. I'm not sure if it's issued service-wide, we have it in FAST Co., but we also have different flaks than everyone else, so other Marines in regular infantry units on here should be able to answer whether or not they have it. How do you post a picture on here?

wpdleo
08-01-05, 06:00 AM
Thanks

Seeley
08-01-05, 12:58 PM
We didn't get a little pillow with our gear and we got all new gear. The new vests and helmet are really nice though. We are using the ILBE pack here. Improved Load Bearing Equipment pack. Its awesome! It has a hard plastic back lined with an almost gell-like cushion for your back, the shoulder straps, and there are hip straps so all the weight goes on your hips rather than your neck/back. I tighten it up so much on a hump that all the weight is on my hips and the shoulder straps barley even touch my back.

USMCgrunt0331
08-01-05, 01:53 PM
The ILBE is the same thing as the SALLE. I agree it's an outstanding pack. The new sleeping system was just issued to us about 4 1/2 mos. ago.

jdh091284
08-02-05, 11:34 AM
Over here in the wing we're getting ALICE packs, flak jackets, and the old style LBV and helmets without any kind of NVG provisions. So now you know where the old crap is going. ;)

Course, I'm also on Okinawa, which isn't exactly the desert.