PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the meaning of names....

gunnyg
11-01-02, 08:25 AM
Jerry's previous thread on the meaning of names triggered some old memories in my mind-housing-group. <br />
<br />
Things like the origin and meaning of oohrah, etc. have always fascinated me. <br />
<br />
Take the word...

firstsgtmike
11-01-02, 09:58 AM
If you remember Asahi , which was better thn Kiren. how about a bottle of Akadama wine? Akadoo was a main ingredient for Mojo. But I preferred a bottle of Akadama with a T-bone steak dinner at the Club in Kadena.

Semoer Fi

mrbsox
11-01-02, 01:23 PM
... was what you did after a week of nothing but "C- RATS".

But, just my memories. :banana: :banana:

gunnyg
11-01-02, 03:19 PM
I have a few everlasting memories of Akadama.

Most memorable was one afternoon when I took a couple bottles of the stuff to a moviehouse on Okinawa (Maromi, I think-probably misspelled.)
It was a moviehouse w/a topside w/a trampoline sort of affair. I drank the Akadama--don't remember the flik. And after the movie I found myself in the street outside the theatre--I know I was in the street becuase I cold hear the car horns blaring on all sides of me--only trouble was I was blind. In any case, I was rescued and ended up in a familiar bar across the street from the theatre. This was about 56-57.

I also remember well something back in Japan called soju (again, spelling may be wrong). It was a colorless liquid, and very, very cheap--about 100 yen or less for a half gallon size. The troops bought it close to paydays when everybody was broke. It was also very good, and economical, for scrubbing concrete decks for inspection--turned them a sparkling, salty white!

But you mentioned Asahi and Kirin--yes, I too preferred Asahi. But there was also a third Japanese brand--Sapporo--in fact, I just saw some of it a few weeks ago in a store specializing in foreign beers--they claim several thousand brands/kinds.

ecomsg68
11-01-02, 06:21 PM
The Marine was dying of thirst,
For the day had been one of the worst.
Then he saw from afar
A most wonderful bar
It was damnable off limits, of curse.

San Mirguel (is that spelled right) by choice ...

vance
11-01-02, 06:38 PM
I remember the ice cold Isahi beer and a large plate of fried rice.
Truely great grits and suds.

Barrio_rat
11-01-02, 08:54 PM
Okay.. real quick cuz I'm at work (I may update this later). Soju and Jinro Soju I remember being in Korea. Tasted like rubbing alcohol unless you mixed it with coke, then it just made the coke a little tangy. One bottle, and they weren't very big - maybe 5 or 6 oz, and they'd be carrying ya home in a coffee can. Though, in the PI, I drank a pitcher of Moju all by my lonesome. That was a night I won't have to forget... can't remember it! LOL For Okinawa, most important words I ever learned... biru kudasai (beer please). It was Orion (or eee on). It sucked. For Saporo ya had to go down to Naha and get it from the vending machines. Orion ran about 4 bucks a glass in the bars. I figured at that price ya should get to keep the glass. I've still got it! ;) Back to the PI, my drink of choice was Red Horse. More bang for the buck! Anyway, y'all have a good one, I'll catch up later when I have time to give this a good read.

Semper Fi