PDA

View Full Version : American expatriate: Celebrate draft-dodging!

thedrifter
07-29-05, 02:05 PM
Courtesy of Mark aka The Fontman

American expatriate: Celebrate draft-dodging!
Man who left U.S. still pushing reunion of Vietnam War resisters
Posted: July 29, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Model of draft-dodger monument rejected by Canadian city

An American who left the U.S. to live permanently in Canada is still pushing plans to celebrate the draft dodgers of the Vietnam War era.

Isaac Romano, a resident of Nelson, B.C., is looking to hold the event next summer, despite his defeat in the erection of a monument honoring war resisters.

"There's the opportunity to reflect and ask why did good people leave?" Romano told the CBC. "That will help the process of healing in the U.S."

He said he's in touch with veterans' peace groups in the U.S., notably "Veterans for Peace, being the primary group which will be present and individuals will be participating and some of their members will be in our panel discussions."

The idea is being frowned upon by the likes of Jerry Newberry of Veterans of Foreign Wars, who says it's insulting to the thousands of U.S. soldiers who died in Vietnam.

"To honor in any way, be it a statue or celebration of any kind, those who chose to flee their homeland, to avoid service to the country that gave them their freedoms is beyond our scope of understanding," Newberry said. "Too many of us lost friends to have much good regard for the people who want to organize something like this. Especially to do it while our nation is at war."

As WorldNetDaily reported last year, Romano sought to have a draft-dodger statue erected in Nelson as part of the planned celebration.

WND's coverage sparked a flood of comments blasting the idea, and the city council of Nelson ultimately decided it would be a "misuse of public funds" to sponsor the monument.

The draft-dodging celebration is slated for July 7-9, 2006, in Nelson.

Among those slated to speak is anti-war activist Tom Hayden, the ex-husband of actress Jane Fonda.

Osotogary
07-29-05, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't pay for his erection either. (see monument) LOL

yellowwing
07-29-05, 05:06 PM
Ha! In Canada we have gay marriage, 'universal' health-care, full frontal nudity on TV, but we will not honor these cowards.

"There's the opportunity to reflect and ask why did good people leave?" Romano told the CBC. "That will help the process of healing in the U.S."
His statement strikes me as presumptive and arrogant that anyone would need his help to heal. If anything it would only help the draft-dodgers with their emotional shame.

Joseph P Carey
07-29-05, 08:12 PM
In truth, the Canadians turned down the statue, not because it was the wrong thing to do, but rather, because it would have cost them money! This is the same country that would not support its own ideals, its allies, and its own troops in WWII; This is the same country that would not stand with its neighbor when it took in those 'screaming-mimis' during the Vietnam War; and, this is the same country that would not support the only country that would protect them with no questions asked!

The simple word "Ingratitude' should be spread like a yellow banner across the Canadian Flag! It should replace the Large 'Maple Leaf' that currently adorns their colors, because, I think, the 'Maple Leaf' looks mighty wilted to me! Or, They really should change their National Emblem to a 'very small rat hiding under a very large rock'. I think that tells the story of the resolve and trustworthiness of 'Oh Canada' so much better than does the strength of the Maple Tree!

yellowwing
07-29-05, 08:18 PM
Flash forward to current events, Joseph. We returned that Army deserter and have the policy of not granting refuge to any deserter.

Hey did some Canadian borrow money from you in Vietnam?

CHOPPER7199
07-29-05, 11:32 PM
HEY CAREY, I HAD UNCLES THAT DIED IN THAT WAR FROM CANADA. ALSO THIS GRUNT CAME FROM CANADA AND JOINED THE CORP. NOT BEING A CITIZEN, I FELT IT WAS MY DUTY TO SERVE THIS COUNTRY AS THEY WELCOMED US IN, TO BAD YOU HAVE GUTLESS PEOPLE WHO RUN TO, FROM WHERE I CAME FROM. YOU FORGET THE BRITISH WERE FIGHTING IT BEFORE THE U.S. GOT INTO. TAKE HEED ON WHERE YOU CAST YOUR THOUGHTS. FUNNY THING, THE CORP. GAVE ME CITIZENSHIP AND TOP SECRET CLEARANCE ALL AT ONCE. NOT BAD COMING FROM CANADA.

Joseph P Carey
07-29-05, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Flash forward to current events, Joseph. We returned that Army deserter and have the policy of not granting refuge to any deserter.

Hey did some Canadian borrow money from you in Vietnam?

In truth Wing, I have known some fine Canadians, but they are not representative of the Country and its policies. As far as the ONE Deserter, gee thanks! What does Canada want for that, all of our first born children? Truthfully, as far as terrorism goes, I worry more about the Canadian Border than I could ever worry about the Mexican border. I believe we just sentensed the Millenium Bomber that came down from Canada, maybe they wanted him back, so they could release him? Who knows?

Joseph P Carey
07-29-05, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by CHOPPER7199
HEY CAREY, I HAD UNCLES THAT DIED IN THAT WAR FROM CANADA. ALSO THIS GRUNT CAME FROM CANADA AND JOINED THE CORP. NOT BEING A CITIZEN, I FELT IT WAS MY DUTY TO SERVE THIS COUNTRY AS THEY WELCOMED US IN, TO BAD YOU HAVE GUTLESS PEOPLE WHO RUN TO, FROM WHERE I CAME FROM. YOU FORGET THE BRITISH WERE FIGHTING IT BEFORE THE U.S. GOT INTO. TAKE HEED ON WHERE YOU CAST YOUR THOUGHTS. FUNNY THING, THE CORP. GAVE ME CITIZENSHIP AND TOP SECRET CLEARANCE ALL AT ONCE. NOT BAD COMING FROM CANADA.

Chopper, While the Canadians sat most of their vaulted Army at home during the WWII, my dad's cousin was killed at Dieppe fighting with the Canadians. Apparently, the numbers of men in Canada that wished to do anything in that war were few, and foreigners, like those from the USA, were there to allow the Canadian conscripts to sit on their packs in Canada, while other's did their fighting for them. Like I said before, we are a long way from even.

Welcome to the USA! Congratulations on your citizenship! All they gave my dad's Cousin was a grave, if even that! Not all Americans sat on their asses!

CHOPPER7199
07-30-05, 01:02 AM
YEP, NOT ALL DID SIT, BUT THEN AGAIN, IF YOU LOOK AT THE POPULATION OF BOTH COUNTRIES AT THAT TIME I BELIEVE YOU WILL FIND THE NUMBERS ON PERCENTAGES THAT DID SERVE THEIR COUNTRY. NOT COUNTING THE THOUSANDS THAT WENT TO CANADA WHEN THE WAR STARTED OVER THERE. I THANKED ALOT OF AMERICANS THAT CAME TO CANADA TO FIGHT AHEAD OF TIME OVER THE YRS. MOST OF WHICH FLEW THE PLANES THAT WERE READY TO GO. SORRY YOU HAVE BAD FEELINGS OF THE CANADIANS, BUT ,YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION AS I DO MINE. SEMPER FI

Joseph P Carey
07-30-05, 03:00 AM
In WWII, Canada had one million men at arms, 900,000 of them sat in Canada throughout the war, while the Americans, Asussies, and Brits shouldered the load along with Canada's Volunteers from other countries, and the very small persentage of the Canadians that would fight!

Canada has what, a 15,000 man standing Army for its population of 31,000,000 people. Hell! They don't need to fight, they have others to do that for them!

dgallagher
07-30-05, 07:39 AM
Not really something new! The Canadians have a long history of watching others fight. In the French and Indian war they used mostly rented warriors, they wouldn’t help the British in the Revolution. In the 1812 thing they couldn’t keep the conscripts in the forts, they would sneak out and go back home after a few days or weeks. In one battle around the Great Lakes they sat on a hillside and watched the Americans and British go at it (it is rumored they cheered for the Americans – but then the Americans won).

I don’t know that much Canadian history; but lets face it they were running all around the Great Lakes, Western Canada and Western America (trading with the natives) when the British settlers were wondering what the hell was on the other side of the Appalachians.

Could this their French heritage?

Tell 'em Wing!

dg

Joseph P Carey
07-30-05, 12:45 PM
Yea! Canada is the 'little sister' of North America! They can not get it all together on anything, not even a common language. It is no wonder that they are one of the very few countries in the world that allows same sex marriages! Now I know why there were Canadians in the Marines. They just wanted to be in a place where it was safe to take a shower, and not be molested all the time.

I still say that Canada should change their 'Maple Leaf' for a depiction of a 'Rat hiding under a big rock (the USA)'.

CHOPPER7199
07-30-05, 03:24 PM
CAREY, MAYBE IN YOUR DAY IN THE CORP. IT WAS LIKE THAT, TAKE A SHOWER LOL, BUT I DO KNOW AS A CANADIAN BACK THEN I COULD GO VISIT MY GRANDPARENTS AND THE REST OF MY FRIENDS AND HAVE A BEER AND MEAL WITH A BLACK MAN. NOT IN YOUR GOOD OLD U.S.A. AT THE TIME. BEEN TO JACKSONVILLE IN 59 -60 COULD YOU HAVE A BEER WITH A BROTHER OF COLOR OUT ON THE TOWN? WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS IN COUNTRY AND OUT. PLUS, I BELIEVE THIS SITE IS NOT FOR BICKERING BACK AND FORTH AS WE ARE DOING. NOT WORTH MY TIME ANYMORE. I GUESS THATS WHAT MAKES MARINE, STUBBORN, STICK BY THERE GUNS AND GO TO IT. SEMPER FI BRO, I FORGIVE YOU

Joseph P Carey
07-30-05, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CHOPPER7199
CAREY, MAYBE IN YOUR DAY IN THE CORP. IT WAS LIKE THAT, TAKE A SHOWER LOL, BUT I DO KNOW AS A CANADIAN BACK THEN I COULD GO VISIT MY GRANDPARENTS AND THE REST OF MY FRIENDS AND HAVE A BEER AND MEAL WITH A BLACK MAN. NOT IN YOUR GOOD OLD U.S.A. AT THE TIME. BEEN TO JACKSONVILLE IN 59 -60 COULD YOU HAVE A BEER WITH A BROTHER OF COLOR OUT ON THE TOWN? WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS IN COUNTRY AND OUT. PLUS, I BELIEVE THIS SITE IS NOT FOR BICKERING BACK AND FORTH AS WE ARE DOING. NOT WORTH MY TIME ANYMORE. I GUESS THATS WHAT MAKES MARINE, STUBBORN, STICK BY THERE GUNS AND GO TO IT. SEMPER FI BRO, I FORGIVE YOU
For the record, Chopper, I am an Irish Catholic, and I grew up in the South, and the Southern Boys you speak of thought just the same of us as they did the blacks, perhaps less, because I was a Papists to them. I took and gave a lot of lumps going to school when i was a boy, but when I had beaten the best of them, they left me alone. I never had any problems with Blacks that I can remember. But, leave it to that good old Canadian logic, downgrade the military and praise the homosexuals, and if you can not find fault with the truth, create another argument. The facts remain, we have changed over the years in the USA, but the Canadians have not, Heh?

Let me see if I have this correct, you joined the US Marines from Canada, and you ended up in New Foundland, protecting the Canadians! Is that correct? What I said in the First place remains the same! The Canadians have to shield themselves under the big rock of the USA, but they are the most ungracious SOBs in the world! When we needed help from them, they thumbed their noses at us! It is the 'Never Ending Story' of the Canadians. Even with NORAD, when they feared Soviet missiles, they were never really much help! US Planes and US Pilots over Canadian soil protecting Canadians from the USSR! Now, I understand, after 40 years of continuing protection of Canada and the USA, NORAD is used primarily for drug interdiction from Canada, and, I am told, there is little or no cooperation from the Canadians. What is new there? Little Sister, Canada, should get off of her butt and help with the load!

CHOPPER7199
07-30-05, 06:26 PM
WELL,SEE YOU GOT IT CORRECT, I DO AGREE WITH YOU THEY SHOULD DO MORE ON CERTAIN THINGS. THE NAVY BASE IN NEWFOUNDLAND WAS FOR THE, COAST GUARD, AIRFORCE,AND THE NAVY CONIES AT THE TIME WHO FLEW THE AZORES, THE SUPPLY ROUTE FOR ALL KINDS OF CRAFT GOING OVER INTO WW11, WE HAND BUNKERS AND GOODIES SO TO SPEAK. I BELIEVE THEY SPENT THE MONEY ON MY CLEARANCE AND MADE ME A CITIZEN AS I WAS GOING TO BE STATIONED MORE OR LESS ON HOME SOIL. SO BEING A CITIZEN I CAME UNDER U.S. LAW. IF NOT, I COULD WALK OUT THE GATE AND BE FREE ON HOME GROUND, BUT I CHOSE TO HONOR MY DUTY AND DID MY JOB.

yellowwing
07-30-05, 06:31 PM
I've done what I can Joseph. Try sending this guy a letter and clearly explain the situation to him:

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa K1A 0A2
Canada

or email him pm@pm.gc.ca

CHOPPER7199
07-30-05, 06:42 PM
NEXT, WITH THE CLEARANCE WHICH WAS NOT GIVEN OUT TO EVERYONE IN THE UNIT AS YOU ARE AWARE AT THAT TIME SOME OF OUR GUYS HAD CHOICES, JAIL OR SERVE, SO GETTING THEM CLEARED WAS A NO GO. THE ONES THAT HAD IT PULLED DUTY AT A SECURE LOCATION. I REGRET YOUR VIEWS ON CERTAIN THINGS BUT ALSO STAND BY MINE. NO MATTER WHAT I THINK ABOUT THINGS I CAN,T CHANGE THEM. I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST IN THE FUTURE FOR ALL. NO MORE FROM ME ON THIS AS I BELIEVE THAT WE ARE IN A NO WIN SITUATION. IF YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE YOU GOT ME, FEEL FREE, THATS YOUR OPINION.

Phantom Blooper
07-30-05, 06:48 PM
CHOPPER7199,

NO MORE FROM ME ON THIS AS I BELIEVE THAT WE ARE IN A NO WIN SITUATION. IF YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE YOU GOT ME, FEEL FREE, THATS YOUR OPINION.

You are giving in way too early with Mr. Carey. Come on throw some more punches! Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall:marine:

CHOPPER7199
07-30-05, 06:53 PM
THANKS PHANTOM, BUT ENOUGH OF THE TAILS, I TURNED 65 YESTERDAY AND SHOULD ACT LIKE A SENIOR CITIZEN. LMAO

Joseph P Carey
07-30-05, 07:21 PM
Well, one thing that has not changed, in word anyhow, and now adds all new meaning to the original phrase, is the old adage of, "The Canadian Mounties always get their man!" With same sex marriages now allowed by law in Canada, this could well be a recruitment poster for them with an entirely different class of people! :-)

Phantom Blooper
07-30-05, 07:25 PM
Joe,that is sooooo untrue! Dudley Do Right had Nell !:banana: Semper-Fi! "Never-Forget" Chuck Hall

Joseph P Carey
07-30-05, 10:50 PM
:-) Dudley also taked to, and had a close relationship with, his horse, but, if we must examine Dudley DoRight, I think he had more close encounters with her father than he did with Nell!

Osotogary
07-31-05, 12:11 AM
You notice Sgt. Preston of the Yukon is no where in sight. What ever became of him?

Joseph P Carey
07-31-05, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Osotogary
You notice Sgt. Preston of the Yukon is no where in sight. What ever became of him?

His Dog ate him! I guess that law goes for dogs too! :-)