PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructors Aren't Scary Forever

Seeley
07-28-05, 07:38 PM
We just got a new SSgt from PI a couple of weeks ago and he is by far the best SNCO I have come accross yet! I was worried for a while, but he takes care of us really well. Just thought I'd let all you POOLee's and wannabe's that when they say what they say, and do what they do, its just part of the job. They are real people lol. Of course, our SSgt DID say that recruits are the most nasty thing on this planet. LOL, its really funny to hear bootcamp stories from someone on the giving side!

DanCross
08-01-05, 09:43 PM
When I got to the stumps, we had a SSgt who'd been a drill instructor at PI. I didn't know that at first, and as we were in an in-between status, I got assigned to help her out with some paperwork. I thought it was really thoughtful the way she always said, ``please'' and ``thank you'', even to a lowly PFC like myself. I mean, she certainly didn't have to do that as a SSgt, and I thought it was swell that she did.

Then we found out she'd been a DI and started asking her about boot camp stories, and she had some good ones. I had the exact same reaction you just had. ``Wow; not all DI's make you mountain climb just for being alive!'' It was refreshing.

But then again, one of the best and most motivating SNCO's I met out there was prior service Army, so what do I know? :-) (But seriously, he was really awesome.)

jinelson
08-01-05, 09:55 PM
Shawn its sure good to see those chevrons bro.

Semper Fi
Jim

Gunny McMillan
08-05-05, 02:09 PM
I actually ran into one of my DIs at Pendleton about 3 years after I graduated boot. Suprisingly, he remembered me well. At first he gave me a kind of "who the hell are you?" look when I first approached him, but then he just shook his head and smiled, "I can't believe they put stripes on you, McMillan." We grabbed a few beers and hung out for a while and shared stories, and we're still friends to this day. I gotta admit though, I still get the chills sometimes when I catch a glimpse of "the look." One of my best friends, and I'd probably snap to and call him Sir if he got in my face...Some things NEVER change.

Over the years, I've run into a few Marines who I once tormented during my time as a DI. There's nothing more satisfying and flattering than having someone tell you about how you changed their life. You try and put on the tough guy act and say "Don't think for a second I'm gonna be rocking you to sleep and wiping your nose when your ass starts crying like a little girl with a skinned knee," but I know exactly how they felt.

BigCat1
08-05-05, 04:47 PM
Are you freakin' kidding me? We DI's are the meanest muthers on the planet...bar none! If one of my recruits ever came up to me and wanted to be all buddy, buddy...I'd have to show him that some things never change....Not only "Once a Marine, Always a Marine", but Once a DI, Always a DI! I raised my Marines as a DI and I raised my family as a DI would raise his Marines....maybe that's why I'm working on divorce #2...LOL

Semper Fi Marines!

marinefamily5
08-05-05, 10:13 PM
Well I was at the food court on Camp Hansen in Oki.....I was sitting there eating with a friend of mine and one of my DI's walked up to me and said "don't I know you" so I looked up and all of the hairs on my back stood straight up and I just to the POA and said "Sir Yes Sir" He looked at me and started laughting and said " your not in bootcamp anymore" everyone was looking and everything about 75 people in all in the food court that day........just asked me how i'm doing and then he went on his marry way

miguelito
08-08-05, 07:35 PM
I remember thinking that my bulldog drill instructor was the most ferocious, toughest, living thing on the planet without an ounce of human in him until the last week of bootcamp he had us load stuff into his car for him and he drove a Dodge Neon. It was just weird because everyone expected him to drive a hearse or something.

CrazyBrave83
08-08-05, 07:51 PM
Having not graduated, I'm still stuck in thinking Drill Instructors are full-bore Machines...

But I do remember using their cars to think of them in a more human light. I looked out at the parking lot while in formation and didn't see any Monster Trucks, Chevelles, Bulldozers, or (in reference to the former post) Hearses.

Seeley
08-09-05, 12:02 AM
There's a LCpl in my company that drives a Hearse lol. Its great

rapid_dagger
08-09-05, 12:37 PM
47 years old and out of The Corp since '79 and I still think of my DI's. They were the the biggest reason I am still alive today I think sometimes. SDI Ssgt McMasters, Ssgt Pruneda and Sgt Fragua.SEMPER FI

THATFEMALE
08-09-05, 02:44 PM
Drill Instructors are there to make Marines out of us little nasty wannabe's. Those who can understand that become Marines, those who can't become..... Not going to even start on that subject. I had the pleasure of working with my former DI before she headed out to Iraq about a year ago and it was awesome. While in bootcamp I was just the natiest thing ever invented to her. She finally got the chance to see what she had helped shaped and she was darn proud. Some of the finest women one could ever meet. Semper FI Marines

PTWARRIOR
08-09-05, 03:10 PM
I THANK GOD FOR THE MARINE CORPS DRILL INSTRUCTOR. BECAUSE I DISCIPLINE MY KIDS THE SAME WAY AND IT WORKS .AND BY THE WAY THEY ARE BOYS.

Rebsmarine1996
08-09-05, 03:48 PM
while I Have not yet had the honor to see my Drill Instructors since Graduating from Boot, I would be honored to buy them each a drink. Those women changed my life and played a key role in making me the women I am today