PDA

View Full Version : Marine: 'I feel we're doing a great deed'

thedrifter
07-27-05, 11:14 AM
Marine: 'I feel we're doing a great deed'
Cpl. Phillip W. Mullinax
By Rose Post Salisbury Post

Cpl. Philip W. Mullinax, the son of Tamra and Wayne Mullinax of Landis, knows exactly why he'll be in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom until April, 2006.

Why?

Because "I feel we're doing a great deed," he said in response to questions asked by Marines in Iraq who were doing brief interviews for hometown newspapers.

"These people need to be a free country, not repressed by the wealthy," he added. "My hopes are that one day they are as free as we are today.

"And I am very proud to be a Marine in these trying days," he added. "It really makes me feel good inside to know that I am defending freedom and everything that comes with it."

A helicopter electrician, Mullinax says he's "very proud to work on them" because "our helicopter is the backbone of the Marine Corps. We fly countless missions, and we are always there when needed.

"We're here with a purpose," he said. "It's no longer about me, myself and I. It is the country. It is the world. We will win this fight. We will win this war."

Mullinax is one of approximately 6,000 Marines and sailors from the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing based at the New River Air Station in eastern North
Carolina and working with both fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft in tactical and supporting or logistics roles.

It was deployed in early 2005 to conduct stability and security operations in western Iraq.

It supports counter-insurgency operations to isolate and neutralize anti-Iraqi forces and support continued development of Iraqi security forces, according to the press release focussed on Mullinax. "The aim is to support the creation of a secure environment that enables Iraqi self-reliance and self-governance."

A 23-year-old avionics technician, Mullinax graduated from South Rowan High School in 2000 and joined the Marines the following Aug. 23.

He graduated from U.S. Marine Corps basic training at Parris Island, S.C., where he was awarded the sharpshooter medal for his performance on the rifle range.

He then graduated on Dec. 18 from combat training at Camp Lejeune and began training for aviation electronics in Pensacola, Fla.

Contact Rose Post at 704-797-4251 or rpost@salisburypost.com.

Ellie