View Full Version : Marine brings unique hobby to Parris Island

thedrifter
07-26-05, 11:22 AM
A matter of balance
Marine brings unique hobby to Parris Island
Published Tuesday July 26 2005
By GEOFF ZIEZULEWICZ
The Beaufort Gazette
The staff of Marines at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island come from diverse backgrounds from all corners of the country.

Naturally, their hobbies would differ as well. Enter Lance Cpl. Michael Osorio, a 21-year-old Marine who, by taking a one-wheeled approach to base life, has gained a reputation around Parris Island as "the unicycle guy."

Weather and uniform requirements permitting, Osorio rides his unicycle to and from his job at the Depot Law Center. It's a hobby he brought with him from his home in Framingham, Mass.

"It's just totally something different, and it's an attention-getter," he said with his cycle at his side. "You get people who have never seen one or rode on one, and they just start asking you all about it."

Osorio picked up his hobby as a teenager. He also juggles and is learning to do both at the same time.

Despite common perception, unicycle riding does not result in a surfeit of nasty wipeouts, Osorio said.

"If you land wrong, you don't really go full wipeout," he said. "Riding a unicycle, because you're not that far from the ground, you're always landing on your feet."

Osorio said he loves the exercise involved and the way it fits into his active lifestyle. Unlike its two-wheeled relative, a unicycle does not allow for much coasting along and also requires constant balance.

Joining the Marines was a chance to get some financial security and learn leadership traits, he said. And while riding a unicycle and being part of America's fighting force may seem mutually exclusive, Osorio said the skills transfer.

"There are different obstacles here that help you to know how to shift weight and stay where you're supposed to be," he said, adding that high school cheerleading also helped hone his agility.

So far, he said he's had no problems rolling through the recruit depot during the 11 months he has been stationed here, except for one safety incident.

"We are supposed to wear helmets, and I wasn't wearing a helmet at first," he said, adding that he now has a special camouflage helmet for when he is wearing his fatigues. Being forced to don a helmet has also brought an extreme vibe to doing it with one wheel. "Putting it on makes it a bit more sporty," he said

Being active has been a part of Osorio's life for as long as he can remember.

"Even before the Corps, I've been a more adventurous type of person, climbing trees and going as far as I can out on the limbs," he said.

While he often turns to the Internet to buy unicycling supplies, Osorio said he belongs to no official clubs or groups for one-wheel enthusiasts.

So for now, he will continue to ride the solo road as Parris Island's lone unicyclist.

"I'm the only one so far, which is pretty neat," Osorio said. "This is just me, doing my thing."

Ellie