PDA

View Full Version : Vets Condemn 'Wedding Crashers' Site

Wyoming
07-25-05, 07:26 AM
DENVER (AP) - Some military veterans and law enforcement officials are angry about a Web site promoting Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn's comedy "Wedding Crashers."

To win the affections of attractive bridesmaids in the movie, two fun-loving partiers pretend to be Purple Heart recipients.

New Line Cinema's movie Web site includes a fake, paper Purple Heart to cut out, with the spoof: "Carrying a Purple Heart in your jacket guarantees you attention, admiration and plenty of free booze."

"I challenge the producer of that movie to go to Walter Reed Hospital and walk through the ward and see if he still wants to print out a fake Purple Heart," said Thomas Cottone, Jr., a special agent with the FBI who enforces a federal law that prohibits wearing, manufacturing, buying, selling or trading a Medal of Honor.

"Talk to some of these people who don't have legs anymore and see how funny they think that movie is."

New Line Cinema, which produced the movie, did not return a phone message.

A bill introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives Friday would expand federal law to allow prosecution of anyone who falsely claims to have earned a military medal or a Purple Heart.

"Here's an example of Hollywood imitating life. Hopefully it brings to the American conscience that this is what is happening," said Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran who runs a Web site dedicated to Medal of Honor recipients.

After opening the 'site', the Purple Heart opens under the "crasher kit" button..........
http://www.theweddingcrashers.com/ (http://)

http://www.thefogstream.com/SFVV/files/crasher_116.jpg

tbruyle5
07-25-05, 10:51 PM
Rated "R" for revolting!:no:

radio relay
07-26-05, 06:28 AM
Maybe they could get Rep John Salazar to help out. Remember our democratic hero from one of the most liberal, leftwing districts in Colorado? He cares so much about Veterans that he's promoting yet another bill (without teeth, or hope of passage) making it illegal to own unearn medals. Maybe, he'll make a statement condeming yet another of Hollywierd's numerous slaps at the military.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll, who "crashes" funerals of Marines killed in Iraq, could condem the movie, too. After all, "In 2003, she was awarded the Gold Medal of the Chapel of the Four Chaplains by the Military Order of the Purple Heart" **. Doubt we hear anything from her, either.

**(the statement in quotes was taken from Baker Knoll's official website)

eddief
07-26-05, 01:53 PM
I don't see it as a slap at the military. The guys in the movie are looking to score at weddings with bridesmaids and they'll do anything to get it done. I think they just thought it would be funny. It's just a comedy about two jerks trying to score. It goes along with the character of these guys.

enviro
07-26-05, 02:10 PM
Damn -

Eddie and I don't agree often, but this time....

Maxim Magazine has done it - hell, they are doing it now. Showing three hot girls wearing purple hearts among other medals and camouflage.

Whether you earned one or not, you would be a homo for wearing it to the bar on civilian clothes just to try and score some free drinks.

thedrifter
07-26-05, 06:45 PM
July 26, 2005
Phony Purple Heart reference removed from film’s Web site
By Jennifer Talhelm
Associated Press

Following complaints from a congressman, the producers of “Wedding Crashers” removed from the movie’s Web site Monday a printable Purple Heart medal advertised as a gimmick to pick up women and get free drinks.

The Purple Heart is among the most venerated medals in the U.S. military. It is awarded to those wounded in battle.

The movie’s characters, played by Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, use the medals to pick up women. Advocates for a bill introduced by Rep. John Salazar of Colorado say it’s no joke; impostors use fake medals or fraudulent stories of having been awarded medals to get ahead in business.

“We understand the sensitivity regarding the medals and did not intend to make light of their significance in any way,” New Line Cinema spokesman Richard Socarides said Monday.

It is a crime to wear, manufacture, buy, sell or trade a Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest decoration for valor. Salazar’s Stolen Valor Act, introduced Friday, would expand the law to include more medals and would allow prosecution of anybody who falsely claimed to have earned a military medal or a Purple Heart.

His office had drawn attention to the Web site of the nation’s second most-popular movie this week. On Monday, Salazar claimed victory.

“If any movie-goers take the advice of the ‘Wedding Crashers’ and try to use fake Purple Hearts to get girls, they may wind up picking up an FBI agent instead,” Salazar warned in a statement. “I am pleased that New Line Cinema has agreed to take down offensive parts of the Web site. Our veterans and FBI agents are working hard to make sure that we honor our true heroes. No one should undermine their efforts.”

The movie’s Web site included a “Crasher Kit” with instructions on how to win attention at a wedding.

“Print your own Purple Heart,” it invited. “To get one of these babies, some dudes have to prove their physical, mental and spiritual strength with great feats of bravery on the battlefield. All you need to do is press the button below.”

Socarides said it would be removed by the end of the business day. “This is a comedy, and it’s intended to be funny,” he said. “It’s really not intended to offend anyone.”

Advocates for Salazar’s bill praised the producers for altering the Web site. In a way, some said, the flap over the movie has helped by bringing attention to a cause they have been working on for years.

“With Hollywood you have to give them a little bit of license,” said B.G. Burkett, an author of the book “Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of Its Heroes and Its History,” about fake Vietnam vets. “I’m hopeful Congressman Salazar’s bill is going to go through, and it will put a clamp on the people who are doing this.”

Ellie