PDA

View Full Version : Lt. gov. crashed Marine's funeral

marinefamily5
07-24-05, 09:38 AM
, kin say
Saturday, July 23, 2005

By Tom Barnes, Post-Gazette Harrisburg Bureau

The family of a Marine who was killed in Iraq is furious with Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll for showing up uninvited at his funeral this week, handing out her business card and then saying "our government" is against the war.

Catherine Baker Knoll
Rhonda Goodrich of Indiana, Pa., said yesterday that a funeral was held Tuesday at a church in Carnegie for her brother-in-law, Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich, 32.

She said he "died bravely and courageously in Iraq on July 10, serving his country."

In a phone interview, Goodrich said the funeral service was packed with people "who wanted to tell his family how Joe had impacted their lives."

Then, suddenly, "one uninvited guest made an appearance, Catherine Baker Knoll."

She sat down next to a Goodrich family member and, during the distribution of communion, said, "Who are you?" Then she handed the family member one of her business cards, which Goodrich said she still has.

"Knoll felt this was an appropriate time to campaign and impose her will on us," Goodrich said. "I am amazed and disgusted Knoll finds a Marine funeral a prime place to campaign."

Goodrich said she is positive that Knoll was not invited to the funeral, which was jammed with Marines in dress uniform and police officers, because the fallen Marine had been a policeman in McKeesport and Indiana County.

"Our family deserves an apology," Rhonda Goodrich said. "Here you have a soldier who was killed -- dying for his country -- in a church full of grieving family members and she shows up uninvited. It made a mockery of Joey's death."

What really upset the family, Goodrich said, is that Knoll said, 'I want you to know our government is against this war,' " Goodrich said.

She said she is going to seek an answer from Gov. Ed Rendell's administration if it opposes the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Knoll was traveling yesterday, away from the Capitol, and couldn't be reached. But an aide said she "extends condolences to all families who have lost loved ones" serving in the military.

Without having talked to her, the aide, who asked not to be named, said, "The family members of fallen soldiers are in our hearts and prayers. Our prayers go out to their loved ones in their hour of grief."

Asked to comment on Goodrich's complaints about Knoll's conduct at the funeral, the aide said that "would be inappropriate."

thedrifter
07-24-05, 09:41 AM
To read more on this subject..

http://p089.ezboard.com/fthefontmanscommunityfrm22.showMessage?topicID=704 2.topic

Ellie

Joseph P Carey
07-24-05, 01:44 PM
Perhaps this is a problem unique to Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Democrat Party, and Pennsylvanians should seek some sort of remedy in the matter. As I am told, the Lt Governor of Pennsylvania is not elected by the people of the state per se, but only elected by the party of the winning candidate for Governor in the primaries. The Governor elect has no real say in whom it is his Lt Governor may be, other than he/she was chosen by the party.

Lt Governor Knoll is a laughing stock of Pennsylvania! She can not act in her rather light duties as they are right now. She is truly a horse created by a committee, and she stands in line for the Governorship of the State of Pennsylvania, should something happen to the Governor of the state.

"Here's hoping the Governor of the State of Pennsylvania a long life!!!"

hrscowboy
07-24-05, 05:46 PM
well the party needs to impeach this brood thats the buttom line..

OLE SARG
07-24-05, 06:09 PM
Anyone got a email address for ltgov catherine knoll. She sounds like a REAL pseudo-intellect - who in the hell ever heard of passing out business cards at a funeral.

What a poor excuse for a politician, err I mean a human-being. Is she kin to dickhead durbin?????????????????

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

yellowwing
07-25-05, 12:54 AM
From her official site's contact page (http://www.ltgovernor.state.pa.us/ltgovernor/cwp/view.asp?a=1142&q=440240&ltgovernorNav=|).
** lieutenant-governor@state.pa.us

**Please note: When you email the Lieutenant Governor, include your postal mailing address.

hrscowboy
07-25-05, 02:13 AM
Thanks mike i am going to send her a nasty gram...

OLE SARG
07-25-05, 08:03 AM
I sent the Governor a little note advising him I felt sorry for him with the LtGov anchor he was dragging. I further advised him that she sure was a waste of tax-payer money for all that she doesn't do. I also said she was a psuedo-intellect, which is very apparent.

Too bad he can't can her arsh!!!!

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

marinefamily5
07-25-05, 08:24 AM
I wonder if he will reply to your email.....................

sgt.lane
07-25-05, 11:24 AM
you go pa!!!!!!!!!!!Get some==========

CAR
07-25-05, 08:58 PM
Sent my nasty gram to the LtGov. How dare she and /or anyone use that time to go off on some political rant. The Marine died in defense of our country and fighting for us. The best thing she could have done is show up and shut up.

Semper Fi SSgt, RIP

tbruyle5
07-25-05, 10:37 PM
This is the same story written for another paper. -

[PITTSBURGH (AP) - Written apologies will be sent to the family of a dead Marine who was upset that the lieutenant governor appeared uninvited at his funeral last week, Gov. Ed Rendell said.

Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll went to the July 19 funeral of Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich, passed out her business card and made a remark about the state government being against the war, family members said.

``Whether you're for the war or against the war, to say something like that to a relative of someone who just died in combat was just repulsive,'' said Goodrich's sister-in-law Rhonda Goodrich.

Rendell, during an appearance in Pittsburgh on Sunday, said written apologies will be sent to the Goodrich family, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported. Rendell said he hadn't spoken to Knoll about what happened

``It's not the business of state government to support the war, but our state supports the men and women who are fighting this war,'' Rendell said.

Goodrich, 32, of Westwood, died July 10 in Iraq. His family told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week that they felt they were owed an apology by Knoll and didn't understand why she attended the funeral in Carnegie.

``Knoll felt this was an appropriate time to campaign and impose her will on us,'' Rhonda Goodrich said. ``I am amazed and disgusted Knoll finds a Marine funeral a prime place to campaign.''

Knoll's spokesman, Sean Pendrak, told The Associated Press on Monday that the lieutenant governor's office would be releasing a statement on the matter later in the day. ]

Did you catch the Gov.'s statement? He said, "It's not the business of state government to support the war, but our state supports the men and women who are fighting this war,'' Rendell said."
Can you image a governor making such a statement in 1942 and lasting in office another 24 hours?:no:
I think this puts both of these "leaders" up for impeachment.

Gunny McMillan
07-26-05, 07:47 AM
Apparently "the lights are on, but nobody's home" with the Lt. Gov. I've read about her being...well, borderline senile in recent years. This isn't exactly an isolated incident.

Where's big Tom Ridge when you need him?

OLE SARG
07-26-05, 08:20 AM
From what I've read about the Governor he ain't exactly a political genius (good example his quote above - what a weenie). He sounds just about as bad as a#$hole knoll.
They make a good pair of gonads - no wonder the state is such bad shape.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

marinefamily5
07-26-05, 09:27 AM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Written apologies will be sent to the family of a dead Marine who was upset that the lieutenant governor appeared uninvited at his funeral last week, Gov. Ed Rendell said.

Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll went to the July 19 funeral of Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich, passed out her business card and made a remark about the state government being against the war, family members said.

"Whether you're for the war or against the war, to say something like that to a relative of someone who just died in combat was just repulsive," said Goodrich's sister-in-law Rhonda Goodrich.

Rendell, during an appearance in Pittsburgh on Sunday, said written apologies will be sent to the Goodrich family, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported. Rendell said he hadn't spoken to Knoll about what happened.

"It's not the business of state government to support the war, but our state supports the men and women who are fighting this war," Rendell said.

Goodrich, 32, of Westwood, died July 10 in Iraq. His family told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week that they felt they were owed an apology by Knoll and didn't understand why she attended the funeral in Carnegie.

"Knoll felt this was an appropriate time to campaign and impose her will on us," Rhonda Goodrich said. "I am amazed and disgusted Knoll finds a Marine funeral a prime place to campaign."

Knoll's spokesman, Sean Pendrak, told The Associated Press on Monday that the lieutenant governor's office would be releasing a statement on the matter later in the day.

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll

I could not find Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll's email address. If someone finds it, please send it to me. She needs a few emails to help her campaign a long. In the meantime, please notify Governor Rendell's office. I'm sure, he'll pass the word to her that most Americans do not like her campaigning techniques.

tbruyle5
07-26-05, 05:16 PM
Scroll up to "Yellowwing" comment on this page. He has a direct link.