PDA

View Full Version : House bill takes aim at 'stolen' acts of valor

thedrifter
07-22-05, 07:29 AM
House bill takes aim at 'stolen' acts of valor
CSU student's paper inspires legislation
By John C. Ensslin, Rocky Mountain News
July 21, 2005

A paper written by a student at Colorado State University at Pueblo has inspired federal legislation to tighten a loophole for people fraudulently wearing military awards.

U.S. Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., this week introduced a bill - dubbed the Stolen Valor Act - that would make it a federal crime to falsely claim to be a recipient of the Medal of Honor and other top military awards.

The impetus for the bill came from a policy analysis paper that Pamla Sterner wrote for a political science class at CSU-Pueblo last fall.

"Pamla Sterner's work is what brought this issue to our attention," said Nayyera Haq, a spokeswoman for Salazar.

That's pretty heady stuff for a 38-year-old who describes herself as having once been a reluctant college student. In her 22-page paper, Sterner reported the number of fake Medal of Honor recipients outnumber the 120 living recipients of the nation's highest military honor.

"And it's not just old soldiers sitting around telling war stories," Sterner said. "Most of the people who commit this fraud will do other (criminal) things."

Sterner credits her husband, Doug, a Vietnam veteran, with raising her awareness of medal fraud.

Several years ago, Doug Sterner created www.homeofheroes.com,a Web site devoted to honoring the legitimate recipients of the Medal of Honor as well as the Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross and the Air Force Cross.

The site - while not official - has become a frequently consulted database. Sterner said he fields about 10 inquiries a month that lead to someone being exposed as a phony.

Existing federal law prohibits people from fraudulently wearing, manufacturing or selling the medals.

But it doesn't stop them from identifying themselves as medal recipients, claiming it on their résumé or hanging fake medals on their walls, Pamla Sterner said.

Tom Cottone, a New Jersey-based FBI agent who specializes in prosecuting false medal cases, said he has helped prosecute about 100 Medal of Honor impostors since 1996.

Cottone caught one at his own church in April 2004 while attending a funeral for a Marine killed in Iraq.

He noticed a man dressed as a Marine Corps captain with several medals. Cottone became suspicious when the man failed to snap to attention when Taps was played. The man later confessed to never having served in the military and was prosecuted.

Cottone said he knows several authentic Medal of Honor winners. They are easy to tell apart from the impostors, he said.

"These are the most humble guys you will ever meet," he said of the real recipients. "These impostors are the opposite. They will talk to anyone who will listen."

Ellie

radio relay
07-22-05, 08:19 AM
I thought there was already a federal law against wearing decorations like the Medal Of Honor.

Joseph P Carey
07-22-05, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by radio relay
I thought there was already a federal aw against wearing decorations like the Medal Of Honor.

Of course there is Radio, she states: Existing federal law prohibits people from fraudulently wearing, manufacturing or selling the medals...But it doesn't stop them from identifying themselves as medal recipients, claiming it on their résumé or hanging fake medals on their walls, Pamla Sterner said.

For the most part, the Marines, as usual, were very stingy with medals for valor, but there are services that handed medals out like 'At-a-boys'. For instance, the Air Force for the March on Baghdad handed out 69,000 awards for heroism, while the Marines gave out less than a thousand, including Purple Hearts for the same period. If you think the Air Force deserved the 69,000 over the Marines that had fought every inch of the way up to Baghdad, so be it. The fact is that when the award becomes cheap, and it becomes such outrageous numbers it becomes difficult to police the situation.

radio relay
07-22-05, 11:56 AM
Shouldn't be doing anything with an MOH, or any other medal, if you weren't officially awarded one.

So, Salazar, is strengthening the existing law? It's good to do that, but seems more like lip service, than doing anything concrete for Veterans, or the military. I basically don't trust democRATs' intentions. Now, he can crow about how he "supports the military, but not the war". However, he really didn't do much of anything at all for the military.
============================

As to the numerous awards for "valor" that both the Army, and the Air Force, gave out like candy treats for Iraqi Freedom, it was pretty disgusting. It not only deminishes the awards given for "real" valor of Soldiers, and Airmen, participating in Iraqi Freedom, but it cheapens all those given in previous wars, too.

Joseph P Carey
07-22-05, 03:24 PM
Actually, Radio, my point was, even with such legislation, it would be a difficult law to enforce, because the DoD dose not have a site to verify a person's Valor Awards, with exception of the CMH, and, maybe, the different Crosses of the services, but for Silver Stars, and Combat Bronze Stars, as well as Combat Commendation Medals from the different services, and Purple Hearts as well, there is no way to verify the awards, because of privacy laws, and, add to that, the multitude of awards handed out 'for stubbing one's toes near a combat situation' by the other services, it becomes a Herculean task for any investigator, unless the investigator is extremely motivated, so much so, that he would have to be a Zealot about his work. A rarity in government work.

That may be one of the reasons why the Democrat has fostered such a Bill. He knows it would only be used in political situations, and, if he could create a doubt about an opponent some days before an election, knowing that it would take time to verify such claims, it may sway votes in his behalf just like the Killian Papers almost did in the President in the last days of the last election.

I have an award of valor, and it was difficult for me to get a hard copy of the citation for my own personal use. It was only through the assistance of Victor Vilionis (www.marzone.com/7thMarines E-mail akula@securenet.net , a very nice man by the way for all those that wish help in navigating the paperwork of the Marines to obtain certain document information, least wise for the members of the 7th Marines and anyone attached to them), that I was able to have it found and obtained a copy.

SuNmAN
07-22-05, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by radio relay
I basically don't trust democRATs' intentions.

Democrat, Republican, Liberatarian...whatever

we're all Americans. An average republican is not anymore patriotic than an average democrat.

In fact in my point of view 80% of top level politicians are just power hungry scum anyway.