PDA

View Full Version : Marine’s-Eye View of Better Combat Gear

thedrifter
07-22-05, 06:53 AM
For the Record: Marine’s-Eye View of Better Combat Gear
SFTT

Editor's Note: This unofficial report on Marine Corps warfighting "lessons learned" in Iraq with specific recommendations for action is an excellent read, also an excellent example of the caliber of the young Marines serving today. It was compiled by a Marine combat veteran of Iraq and was forwarded through the service's NCO leadership to Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee, who quickly responded to set in motion implementation of many of the sergeant's proposals. An SFTT supporter provided this copy for publication here (some explanatory information is provided in brackets).

Gentlemen,

Thought that you would enjoy reading what a young Sergeant from Lejeune sent me. I ran into him one weekend and told him to send me an e-mail with any thoughts, concerns, or recommendations that he and his Marines have regarding warfighting. Needless to say, I was a little shocked at how much thought he put into this. If anyone questions the ability of our young unit leaders possessing the capabilities to
handle increased responsibility, then they should read this. To me this is proof that "Distributed Operations" is the future of our Corps.

S/F...SgtMaj.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:12 PM

Subject: Grunt Wish List

Sergeant Major,

This took a little while to put together, and is written mainly from the point of view of a machine gunner (0331) in a line platoon, with input from other Wpns Platoon Marines, however there are many subjects that have a broad usage.

Training

New joins need to arrive at the unit sooner. The trend seems that the majority of the new joins a unit receives arrive after the majority of the "senior Marines" (NCOs and other small unit leaders [SULs]) depart from the unit. If the new joins arrived earlier there would be more time to train them, pass on knowledge and lessons learned.

This goes hand in hand with more ammo for training. A firefight in a MOUT environment against drugged up insurgents is not the place to discover Pfc Smith needs to work on his shoulder pressure and manipulation of the T&E. Training also needs to be more realistic. Safety is important, but it shouldn't detract from the training as often as it does.

For example, when a unit does a machine gun shoot on Camp Lejeune, they generally line up on the berm with about 15-20 ft of space between them. The shoot is static, and well planned. Most small unit leaders in the section are taught that quite possibly in the defense their gun teams could be 100 meters apart (toward the flanks of the rifle platoon). However, they never get to practice this live fire.

In a firefight an NCO and SUL [small unit leader] will resort to their training and comfort level .... They will keep their gun teams in close because that is all they've experienced. Having the guns that close is dangerous, they are a high priority target, and they are close enough that one grenade, RPG, mortar round etc., placed between them will most likely have an effect on both gun teams.

Marines should also be given the opportunity to fire their weapons unconventionally in training i.e. shooting a M240G from the hip. Marines have had to do that in the narrow streets of Al Fallujah ... this should not be the first time they've experienced this. More live fire MOUT exercises are needed ... with combined arms ... machine guns, SMAW (with spotting rifle on pop up or stationary targets), SAWS, M203 ... too often the only training that is done is with an M16. Once "in country," Marines need to be able to have the opportunity to train (live fire) with other supporting units, i.e. the Iraqi Special Forces [ISF]. They should not just meet, do a few combat patrols and then end up in Block 3 combat. Respect, rapport and TRUST need to be earned.

The Marines and the ISF both need time to learn each other's strengths, weaknesses and SOPs, the same as it is expected when Marines join new units ... train together, fight together. Also, more training with SIM rounds are needed rather than blanks. Blanks lead to bad habits, and M240Gs do not like to fire them. They also tend to cause burrs in the barrels when the tips blow apart. We need a lot more live fire training. Live fire is the closest thing to combat.

Gear

First and Foremost: Reduce weight! Some way somehow, the gear needs to be made lighter; this is life and death. The average grunt is swamped with weight. Take a T/O MG team, generally they are issued 1000 rounds per gun. At 7 lbs per 100 rounds, that is an additional 70 lbs that needs dispersed through the team, and 9/10 times the gunner only carries 100 [rounds] leaving the remaining 63 lbs to be split between 2 people, and this is in the rare occasion that the gun team is T/O.

Also consider that they have a 6.6 lb spare barrel, flak, kevlar, two ceramic plates, the team leader and ammo bearer have M16s with 7 magazines, grenades, maybe even PRRs, water, chow, personal night vision, night vision for the crew serves (ANPVS 17, and PAZ 13), additional items prescribed by the unit, and may even be ordered to bring their tripod, T&E with flex mount, and remaining SL3 gear. The riflemen are also tasked with a lot ... the personal gear mentioned above, as well as extra SAW, machine gun ammo, extra mortar rounds, extra SMAW rockets, breaching kits, AT4s ... this list goes on. Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain. This is not good when Marines need to move quickly in a combat situation, and the extreme weight reduces their fluidity.

The Wiley X eye protection is a good idea, however the Sunglasses should be issued rather than the Goggles that are currently issued. The sunglasses fit more comfortably, and allow more air to the eye area. The goggles trap sweat and are more prone to fogging, and more likely to attract dirt that obstructs vision. Many Marines end up buying Oakleys, the Wiley X sunglasses or another similar product on their own.

The strap-on knee pads are good, but an improvement would be to have a pair that flex more, and can better mold to the knees so they stay in place. Keep the digital pattern, return to the rip-stop material.

The new cammies do not hold up at all. Instead of rips, they wear. They wear holes through them and begin to fall apart. The stitching is low quality. The seams above the knees, and at the crotch just inexplicably come undone. The rip-stop generally only tore when caught on something (concertina wire being the biggest culprit), but tore at right angles, and were easier to mend. The fabric itself stood up to the abuse a lot better as well.

The new suede boots are also shoddy. They tend to fray and the outer layer rubs off, and they stain easily and look terrible in garrison as well. They are heavier and bulkier than the old style black jungles as well. The black jungle boots were also easier to "break in" and therefore a lot more comfortable. Besides, the "no press no shine" took a lot of fun out of being a Marine.

Gear to fit. By this I mean Marines should have somewhat of a choice with gear, particularly with packs. Make the pattern the same but give the Marine a choice. The Mountain Ruck is good for Marines that are shorter, [but] for taller Marines it sits, and digs into their kidneys. The Vector pack is better for taller Marines because it disperses the weight, for shorter Marines it hangs too low. I have not had a chance to use the new SALLE pack, but the general consensus is that the MOLLE pack is JUNK.

PRRs are good, one is needed for every team (if one is given to very Marine the net will become clogged, this is already a borderline problem). A small lightweight squad radio with UHF/VHF capability is best. The MBTR is good, but it needs to be more durable, and able to better hold a signal.

Weapons and Ammunition

The M-16 is prone to jams. I can personally attest that I kept my weapon properly cleaned and lubed, yet within ten minutes, I had two jams that required remedial action in Al Fallujah. Also the round is too fast, too small, and too stabilized. It can not compete with the 7.62 fired by Warsaw pact weapons. H&K makes a nice G3 (a NATO weapon, the Norwegians have it). It is nice to say the M-16 can fire out to 500 meters, however generally the distance we need in combat is significantly shorter, especially in MOUT. These problems/complaints are not new. They've been around since Vietnam. At the very least, the changes in ammo are needed.

The M9 pistol ... the same reason the Marine Corps originally instituted the 1911 is the very same reason we still need the .45 – MORE STOPPING POWER, nothing has changed. If a Marine needs to rely on his side arm, #1 something went wrong, so #2 he needs a bit more than the 9mm.

Armor piercing rounds ... I have never even laid eyes on it for the M240G. Our current enemies like to use VBIED, personally I would feel more comfortable shooting at a vehicle laden with explosives if I had AP rounds. Also, the buildings "over there" tend to be constructed with brick, mortar and rebar. We need more penetrating power.

continued..........

thedrifter
07-22-05, 06:53 AM
Brighter tracer rounds ... in Fallujah we needed to use tracers to guide Tank main gun rounds to the target, this only works if they can see the traces ... tracer incendiary rounds would be best...