PDA

View Full Version : Statement By Senator Edward M. Kennedy On Nomination Of John Roberts To U.s. Supreme

thedrifter
07-20-05, 07:34 AM
July 19, 2005
STATEMENT BY SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY ON NOMINATION OF JOHN ROBERTS TO U.S. SUPREME COURT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Laura Capps/Melissa Wagoner (202) 224-2633

This is a critical moment for this countryıs future. If John Roberts is confirmed, he will have a vital role in setting the direction of the country for generations to come.

The Supreme Court is often the last line of defense for the freedoms and liberties for hundreds of millions of Americans. Few responsibilities of the Senate are more important than reviewing the qualifications of nominees for the Supreme Court. Every Senator, Republican or Democrats, has a responsibility to determine whether Mr. Roberts deserves to join the currently closely divided court when so much is at stake. Itıs wrong for any Senator to be a rubberstamp.

All of us in the Senate who have been through this process know the importance of this process. Every American ought to be asking some tough questions right now about whether Mr. Roberts is fit to serve on the highest court in the land.

Will he protect average Americans when their rights are abused by powerful corporations?

Will he ensure that private companies arenıt allowed to pollute our rivers and lakes and our air?

Will he protect and preserve the progress weıve made on equal opportunity and fairness for all Americans?

Will he separate his personal ideology from the rule of law and protect the rights and freedoms of all Americans, not just the powerful or the wealthy.

Justice OıConnor set a high standard. She tried to bring the nation together, and she respected the Constitution. She was a mainstream conservative who used her ability and respect for the rule of law to find solutions that would strengthen us as a nation, as the Constitution intended.

Mr. Roberts must demonstrate that he meets that standard before the American people, and he will have an opportunity to do so before the Senate Judiciary Committee before the coming weeks.

No nominee, especially a nominee who is well known to have argued ideological positions on issues important to the American people, should be confirmed without full and candid disclosure and discussion of those positions and their importance to him.

I welcome the opportunity to question Mr. Roberts, and believe that the American people will know at the end of this process whether he should advance to the Supreme Court.

We have a responsibility to the Constitution and to the American people and their children and grandchildren to get this right.

Ellie

Phantom Blooper
07-20-05, 07:44 AM
Does this BLOB agree with anything?

OLE SARG
07-20-05, 08:46 AM
The fatass still needs to learn how to drive. What an idiot!!!!

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

tbruyle5
07-20-05, 10:31 PM
Will he protect average Americans when their rights are abused by powerful corporations?
Will he ensure that private companies arenıt allowed to pollute our rivers and lakes and our air?
Will he protect and preserve the progress weıve made on equal opportunity and fairness for all Americans?

Will he separate his personal ideology from the rule of law and protect the rights and freedoms of all Americans, not just the powerful or the wealthy.
That is not the job description of a Judge. A Judge is to rule on the Constitution and the law as written; not makes new law!
I don’t know why Ted’s comments should surprise me.:no: :no: :no:

Phantom Blooper
07-21-05, 04:54 AM
Ted "SLOB" Kennedy comments never surprise me.He lives off his family name. There are die hard democrats in MA that keep putting him in office each time. I would speculate if an audit was done on the MA democratic party, that the Kennedy foundation is giving a bunch of financial kickback for votes. He sticks his nose in everything and tries to undermine his party and the republican party. When he meets his demise he will burn for along time,just like his whale ancestors off Nantucket.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

OLE SARG
07-21-05, 09:05 AM
Phantom Blooper,
You and I have the same "High" opinion of fatass Ted Kennedy. You are right. If it weren't for his family name and wealth, he'd be digging a ditch somewhere with a 1/2 pint bottle of booze in his hip pocket.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG