PDA

View Full Version : 2nd MAW Marine named Aviation Ground Marine of the Year

thedrifter
07-20-05, 06:37 AM
2nd MAW Marine named Aviation Ground Marine of the Year
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Shannon Arledge

AL ASAD, Iraq (July 19, 2005) -- Staff Sgt. Kurtis D. Voss was named the 2005 Jack W. Demmond, Aviation Ground Marine of the Year by the Marine Corps Aviation Association July 18. The association recognizes Marines annually for their Marine Corps service and who have contributed to, and demonstrated excellence in Marine Aviation.

Staff Sgt. Voss is currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and is the supply chief for the forward deployed 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. Voss has served in the Marines for more than 14 years, and supports the wing with Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2.

This is Voss’ second tour with 2nd MAW; his first tour ended in 1998. The Elk River, Minn., native, said that he was unfamiliar with the award and the organization prior to his nomination. After a little research he was shocked to discover that his nomination put him up against the “best of the best” in Marine Corps aviation.

“Staff Sergeant Voss is truly the subject matter expert in his field,” said Lt. Col. Todd W. Schlund, commanding officer of MWHS-2. “He is the best. This shows us he is also a good leader and can build a team to accomplish any mission. He has a knack for motivating Marines and maintain their focus on the mission. Staff Sergeant Voss is just a great leader, and very worthy of this award.”

“Honestly, I didn’t think I stood a chance of winning,” said Voss. “I was humbled that the commanding officer thought that highly of my work, but every [staff noncommissioned officer] and officer knows that it is the Marines that work along side them who make things happen.”

This award was established in honor of Lt. Col. Jack W. Demmond who served in Marine aviation for more than 29 years. It is designed to honor the most outstanding contributions made by a ground Marine serving with Marine aviation.

“I’m still not sure what I have done to deserve this,” said Voss. “I believe that there are other Marines out there that are more deserving than I. This is a supply section and squadron award. We are only as good as the people who we work with. I am fortunate to have solid Marines and sailors that make my job easy.”

Recently selected for the rank of gunnery sergeant, Staff Sgt. Voss is having a good year. Serving in Iraq since February, his section has processed over 700 supply requests. They also maintain 90 percent of all routine supplies, and 98 percent for mission-critical items. His small section ensures the Marines of his squadron have the things they need to accomplish the mission of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing here.

“The Marines in the supply section, both here in Iraq and back home at Cherry Point, are the best of the best,” said Voss. “I have learned as much from them, as I hope they have learned from me. Everyone works well together, and we work as a team. This is their award; I am just the lucky one who is able to accept it on their behalf.”

Staff Sgt. Voss will travel to Reno, Nev., to receive the award during a symposium and awards banquet in October.

Ellie