PDA

View Full Version : Teen Jailed for Burning Flag

marinefamily5
07-16-05, 06:04 AM
Teen Jailed for Burning FlagMARYVILLE, Tenn. (July 15) - A teenager was jailed for nine days after being accused of burning an American flag on the Fourth of July, and he faces trial next month. <br />

ALSEUT
07-16-05, 10:34 AM
To qoute Bob Hope: "I don't mind if they burn the flag, just as long as they wrap themselves in it first."

Joseph P Carey
07-16-05, 11:35 AM
You would be surprised, AlSeut, we had a pretty active discussion on the burning of the flag on these threads, and the main contention of the people that did not support the Flag Burning Act was Free Speech.

This act, of this crude young man, in no way is in that catagory. It was not even a defense in the crime at the time of trial. His only defense was that he was a drunken sot who inadvertantly burnt an American Flag. On that basis, I think that there will be no challenge to the sentense handed the young jerk.

Added to that, he was an underaged minor drinking alcohol, and the flag was someone else's possession that he had stolen from that person's property, and depending on the cost of the flag, may have been a Misdemeanor or a Felony as well, the young jerk deserves to be placed in jail, but we will see if the ACLU steps in on this anyhow!

R.Linde
07-16-05, 12:56 PM
Well stated!

chrismott
07-16-05, 01:53 PM
Maybe his parents should have been watching this teen closer, His father said "He know right from wrong". If he knew right from wrong he wouldn't be in jail.

Joseph P Carey
07-16-05, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by chrismott
Maybe his parents should have been watching this teen closer, His father said "He know right from wrong". If he knew right from wrong he wouldn't be in jail.

I don't know about that! I knew right form wrong when I was young, I just thought that it did not mean me! After all, that is the reason I ended up in the Corps. You might say I was a political appointment, Judge Dor Davis, Broward County Juvenile Authorities sent me!

tbruyle5
07-16-05, 10:19 PM
I agree with "chrismott"; if he knew right from wrong, why did he quit school, why was he drinking at his age, why was he stealing private property... ? ! ?
:no: