PDA

View Full Version : Marines take to the skies over Europe

thedrifter
07-14-05, 08:36 AM
Marines take to the skies over Europe
Submitted by: Marine Forces Europe
Story Identification #: 200571452924
Story by Sgt. Adrianne Rigez

POZNAN, Poland (July 14, 2005) -- More than four hundred fifty U.S. Marines and Polish Airmen came together late last month in Poznan, Poland for Exercise Clean Hunter.

The annual NATO air exercise was designed primarily to improve interoperability between allied nations by conducting offensive, defensive maneuvers in support of large-scale air operations. The exercise included 12 countries from Northern Europe with the Marine portion of the exercise beginning 29 June for two weeks at the Polish 31st Air Base in Poznan.

Reserve Marines from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 134 from Miramar, Calif., Marine Aerial Refueling Squadron 452 from Newburg, N.Y., and Marine Aerial Logistics Squadron 41 from Ft. Worth, Texas came together for the exercise.

During the exercise, the Marine pilots flew mostly over Polish and German airspace, alternating attacks on established zones. The pilots had to constantly adjust their missions, moving from a defensive to an offensive role.

"We led four SU-22’s into Germany and were opposed by F/A 16’s and F4’s. We did really well. (When we) Came back across (the border) the MiG-29’s were waiting to engage,” said Lt. Col. Tom Arnett, VMFA-134 commanding officer. "And there were no good guy losses at all!”

This international role-playing was an opportunity for the Marines to test their skills and also fly alongside aircraft most of them only envisioned as potential enemies during the Cold War and not NATO allies.

"When the MiG-29's showed up our tactics went as planned, and it was a validation of everything we’ve been doing for years! It was outstanding,” said Arnett.

During the exercise, the Marines worked around the clock to ensure the aircraft were being maintained for the upcoming flights. Maintenance crews had the opportunity to expand on procedures they were familiar with, as well as seeing the results of their work.

“In the last four days I’ve probably learned more than I have in the last year," said Messiha. "It’s just a lot of fun, your adrenaline starts pumping when you see the planes going out.”

But when they were not on duty, the Marines were granted time off to experience the city of Poznan, one of Poland’s largest commercial and industrial centers, and mingle with the Polish natives.

“Interacting with the Polish Air Force and being in a foreign country, you get a good feel of what it’s like to be away," said Lance Cpl. Trac Pham an aviation ordinance technician with VMFA-134. "In a training environment it’s a little more realistic than drilling twice a month.”

During a break from the exercise, the Marines took time to celebrate Independence Day with the Polish. They forewent hotdogs and burgers for traditional Polish cuisine – pate’s, soups and kabobs.

“This is the best hop (training exercises) I have ever had in my life." said Arnett. "The training was good, and the integration with the Polish has been good. I am probably going to come back here on vacation.”

Ellie