PDA

View Full Version : Recruits kept in dark, activists say

thedrifter
07-12-05, 08:22 AM
Recruits kept in dark, activists say
Group says students need truth about joining military
By RIA MEGNIN
The Salinas Californian

The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are having trouble attracting recruits.

Peace activists hope to keep it that way.

The all-volunteer armed services are suffering manpower strains because of the simultaneous conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Army has been particularly hurt by mounting U.S. casualties - more than 1,700 in Iraq alone - a toll that might be discouraging young people from enlisting.

"With the war going on right now, there's a lot of challenge," said Army Sgt. Joseph Mees, a recruiter at the Seaside Army Recruiting Station. "Family, media, everybody wants to run and hide. But (recruits) are still coming in."

Bob Fitch of the Santa Cruz Resource Center for Non-Violence, who led a counter-recruitment workshop Saturday in Salinas, said most recruits believe the military is their only option.

"Recruiters go after vulnerable kids: the ones with no jobs, no hope, no money for college and no personal identity," Fitch said.

Mees said it's not true that the Army targets students from low-income or minority backgrounds.

"We're looking anywhere, everywhere for qualified

recruits," he said. "It's not for everybody. But we're trying to provide them with all the info so they can make an educated decision."

At Saturday's workshop, about 20 volunteers discussed how to make sure Monterey County high school and college students get "all the information."

"A number of us are ex-teachers, and we're here because we don't want to see our former students used as cannon fodder," said Jeanne Turner of Monterey, a retired elementary school teacher.

Activists said students have other options, and that the military can't match the college scholarships, wages, travel or service opportunities available in the private sector.

Opting out
A provision in the federal No Child Left Behind Act requires that high schools provide contact information for all juniors and seniors, both male and female, to military recruiters. Before the law was signed in 2002, Pentagon officials said, about 12 percent of the nation's public schools refused to turn over student records to military recruiters.

Public affairs officer John Heil of the Sacramento Army Recruiting Center said access to student lists is essential.

"Across the nation, we need another 80,000 soldiers for the active Army, and 22,175 for the reserve," Heil said. "(With the lists), we may reach a person who may never have heard about what we offer."

Parents can sign opt-out forms, but local activists say schools aren't doing enough to inform them of that right.

Saturday's volunteers hope to get other school districts to follow the lead of the Pajaro Valley Unified School District board, which voted this spring to have opt-out notices appear on school emergency cards.

The Pajaro Valley district encompasses the northern fringe of Monterey County and Watsonville and Aptos in Santa Cruz County.

At least one Pajaro Valley school board member might resign over the decision. Trustee Evelyn Volpa, whose son serves in the Air Force, said the opt-out notice is anti-military.

Carole Erickson of the Peace Coalition of Monterey County said that is not the thinking behind local efforts.

"We're not saying, 'Don't sign up for the Army.' We're saying, be aware of what you're doing and know the alternatives," Erickson said.

Activists say recruiters mislead minority and low-income students with inflated promises of college money and career preparation.

"I saw a lot of recruitment in high school," said Hartnell College student Edward Lopez, 24, of Soledad, who attended the workshop. "They weren't telling you the full story, the chance of actual conflict. They just focused on the scholarships, the job training."

"They don't tell you you get more money through financial aid than you ever will from the Army," said Susan Courrejou of Salinas, a 54-year-old Soledad teacher. "Recruitment signs are about travel and job training, but when I think of the emotional damage when a young man comes out, I think there's got to be other ways."

Mees said recruiters are required to talk about the possibility of being sent to a war zone.

"It's called 'the Armed Forces' for a reason," he said. "But most (recruits) never see combat."

In June, Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said re-enlistment rates are high.

"Those who are in uniform serving this country get it," Pace said. "They understand what they're doing; they understand the value."

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS contributed to this report.
Contact Ria Megnin at rmegnin@gannett.com.

Ellie

Joseph P Carey
07-12-05, 09:30 AM
In re the story above, it reads:
"...Bob Fitch of the Santa Cruz Resource Center for Non-Violence, who led a counter-recruitment workshop Saturday in Salinas, said most recruits believe the military is their only option..."Recruiters go after vulnerable kids: the ones with no jobs, no hope, no money for college and no personal identity," Fitch said....At Saturday's workshop, about 20 volunteers discussed how to make sure Monterey County high school and college students get "all the information."..."A number of us are ex-teachers, and we're here because we don't want to see our former students used as cannon fodder," said Jeanne Turner of Monterey, a retired elementary school teacher..."

My comments on this:

What can I say? As it happens, these are the same people that could not teach our children to read, or to write, or even to add or to subtract over the last 40 years, and they are the same people that have caused the educational system of the USA to slip noticeably behind third world countries. It only seems proper that they are the ones with a design on destroying the US Military and the US Government!

I forget who exactly it was that said, "Give me their children, and I will destroy the parents!"

They may call us Fascists, but it is they that follow the teachings of one of the most famous Fascists in all of history: "Take away from present-day mankind its education-based, religious-dogmatic principles-- or, practically speaking, ethical-moral principles-- by abolishing this religious education, but without replacing it by an equivalent, and the result will be a grave shock to the foundations of their existence." -Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

yellowwing
07-12-05, 09:51 AM
The Forces really should have an ad campaign to counter this before it gets out of hand.

30 seconds of Veterans that know they have better lives answering the call. I know that I have a better quality of life and self respect.

GunnyL
07-12-05, 09:59 AM
Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH!!

The only thing they do is prove that Liberals are Moron's and yes Joseph P Carey have done everything in their power to destroy our education system by trying to teach Liberal indoctrination instead of MATH, English and Sciences. They haven't a clue of Reality and wouldn't know it if it bit them in the a55.

The funny thing is, the kids that the Military is supposedly going after if you believe that bull**** article are the kids who by and large aren't even qualified to get in the Military in the first place.
67% of kids joining the Military have to be in the Top percentile of the ASVAB. Only 33% can be in the lower percentile. 95% have to be High School Graduates and less than 5% can have a GED. The kids the Military is going after are all qualified Male and Female applicants between the ages of 17 and 29. We've never discriminated based on the income of the parents.

I had kids join who's parents threatened to drop them from the will if they went in the Marines, they joined anyway. We had a lot of kids who's parents were CEO's and or owners of successful companies who gladly came down to sign for their kids to enlist, not to go to OCS, to enlist. The fact of the matter is that poeple from all walks of life come into the military, it's not because they need a job, it's because of a higher calling that these Liberals who've hidden in schools all their lives wouldn't have a clue about.

Liberals never cease to amaze me at their ignorance of the facts and the Liberal media obviously doesn't research facts or the truth. It's all a propoganda game!

GunnyL

Osotogary
07-12-05, 10:34 AM
"Recruiters go after vulnerable kids: the ones with no jobs, no hope, no money for college and no personal identity," Fitch said.

And why the heck not? Seems to me that recruiters go after everybody that is of age and isn't dead! LOL. Besides who, at that age has hope, a job, money for college and a bonafide personal identity?
What a bunch of cliche buzzwords and phrases. Me thinks that Mr. Fitch is more interested in his agenda than the "vulnerable children" he is trying to protect. He has, in a way, recruited the "vulnerable" to further his own personal cause.

david fox
07-12-05, 12:39 PM
I agree with GunnyL. The truth is not being told very well here. Certainly not in this article anyway. Shortly before I joined the military 2 Navy pilots shot down a couple of Libyan arcraft. I knew then as the 2 USN Topguns did what America was about and under no blurred illusion that we had to fight to keep our way of life. The fact that I had a step father who earned a silver star and other awards was a constant reminder someone had to do this work in order to keep our freedoms. Although the freedom of expresson is stretched mighty thin with these types the truth never seems to come to light. It's easy to sit back in your board room and make pronouncements when they have no clue and certainly no appreciation of what we do. Having a son in the military and being a 22 year USCG Vet you can bet your A-- that our family has no appreciation for the liberals on their high horses. Our family has a long and storied career serving this Nation and no one was forced to serve or was drafted. We simply knew that someone had to do this job a Liberal certainly was not.

Joseph P Carey
07-12-05, 01:04 PM
Actually, the difference between a Liberal and an educated man is five to ten years of work experience in the real world! The Liberal does not see real work that often.