PDA

View Full Version : Marine Finally Gets To Honor The Students Who Wrote To Him

thedrifter
07-12-05, 07:20 AM
Courtesy of Mark aka the Fontman

MARINE FINALLY GETS TO HONOR THE STUDENTS WHO WROTE TO HIM
By Neal Boortz
July 12, 2005

Perhaps you remember this particular brouhaha ... it happened several weeks ago at the Carson Middle School in Greensboro, Georgia. U.S. Marine Sgt. Zach Richardson wanted to visit the students at Carson Middle School who had been writing to him while he was serving in Iraq. The children's teacher, Matthew Lund, arranged for the visit only to be thwarted by the school's principal, Ulrica Corbett. Ms. Corbett ordered Sgt. Richardson off the school grounds citing concern for the safety and welfare of the students. This was the lead item in the June 2nd. Nealz Nuze, which I urge you to read again by clicking here.

Well .. now the good news. Next Monday, July 18th, the students from the Carson Middle School who wrote those letters to Sgt. Richardson, along with their teacher, Matthew Lund, their parents and other community leaders, will get their chance to meet and talk with Sgt. Richardson and several of his fellow Marines. The meeting will take place at the Ritz-Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation and will be followed by a lakeside barbecue at the Ritz to show support for Sgt. Richardson, his fellow Marines and the students from Carson Middle School who's letters meant so much. The Ritz-Carlton Lodge will be providing rooms to the Marines ... and having stayed at this particular Ritz-Carlton, let me tell you ... these Marines are in for a treat.

I don't know what eventually happened to the principal. I do know that she caused her school and the Green County School quite a bit of embarrassment. Her disdain for this Marine in particular and for what our armed forces were doing in Iraq in general was obvious. Matthew Lund is no longer teaching at the Carson Middle School. We hope he has found a job at a school that appreciates him and our men and women in uniform.

I know Stephen Freund and the incredible people at the Ritz-Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation, and I knew that they would step forward to make this situation right ... and so they have.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-12-05, 09:59 AM
Update on Marine who wasn't allowed to see Pen Pal Students

This is another update to the ongoing saga of Sgt. Zack Richardson as stated here:
Government School --- Soldiers Not Welcome (US Marine banned) and Marine Rejected at School

Dear Friends,

The two special events planned for Marine Sergeant Richardson and the children from Carson Middle School are becoming more special everyday. These events are being held at The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation on Monday, July 18th.

In addition to the private presentation at 5:30 pm for the 6th grade students who corresponded with the Marines, we have arranged to have a "HUMVIE" at the 6:30 pm event which is open to the entire public! There will be helmets and flak jackets for all the children to put on and have their pictures taken.

Also, we will be providing gifts for all the children. Both those who attend the private function and any child attending the picnic afterwards. The children attending the private function will receive a gift bag containing a Marine ball cap, a Marine commemorative coin in a display case and a small US flag. There will be a small flag and a Marine ball cap for every child at the picnic! Also, there will be small flags for all the adults attending the picnic.

We will be furnishing the Marines with a gift bag as well. It will contain these same items and a Marine 3'x5' flag, a Marine license plate, a deck of those neat Iraqi playing cards and many more items. We are expecting between 25 and 30 Marines at least, in addition to Sergeant Richardson!

Finally, for the evenings entertainment, Zac Brown has agreed to play at the Picnic Celebration!!!

The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation is going all out for this special occasion. They have even arranged to put many of the Marines up for the evening at the Lodge. Also, the Picnic Celebration and BBQ meal is FREE....compliments of the Ritz-Carlton Lodge!

I am asking all of you to help make this an evening that the children and The US Marines will never forget. I encourage you to join us at the Picnic Celebration at 6:30 pm. Bring your children and your grandchildren for an experience that they will never forget!

How often do any of us get the chance to personally thank the soldiers for defending our freedom while putting their lives at risk everyday.

Let's have a crowd so big that we run out of food......by the way, if you would like to bring a picnic basket of your own to set-up on the lawn that would be fine as well!

Ellie