PDA

View Full Version : Ted Nugent sounds off

thedrifter
07-12-05, 04:20 AM
Ted Nugent sounds off
By ROBERT WINTERODE
Cox News Service
Monday, July 11, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas — As Motor City Madmen go, Jack White and Eminem have nothing on 57-year-old Ted Nugent.

The self-described "Rosa Parks with a guitar and a raised middle finger" might be bringing his right-wing politics-on-steroids to the Michigan Governor's Mansion.

He's considering a "high-percentage maybe" run for the office. He yells at me his platform, which includes something about "cops that have their legs blown off and soldiers who are in wheelchairs and children with leukemia, who don't get the money because some fat pig welfare brat is sitting on his worthless (expletive.)"

The NRA board member, Fox News talking head and author of books such as "Gods, Guns, and Rock 'N' Roll," "Blood Trails 2" and "Kill It & Grill It: A Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish" recently moved his family — his wife, Shemane, and the four kids — to Crawford, Texas because he liked the school system there. Nugent divides his time between Crawford and a home near Jackson, Mich., and maintains Michigan residency. The staunch guns advocate taught his children to shoot with BB and cork guns before they even entered elementary school.

Five years ago, Nugent ignited a controversy in Texas when he opened for KISS in Houston, San Antonio and Austin. His "If you can't speak English, then get the (expletive) out of America" statements enraged Hispanic groups such as the League of United Latin American Citizens, which called for a boycott of his concerts and merchandise. The organization's state director, Roger Rocha, declined to comment on Nugent's upcoming visit to Austin on Wednesday, saying, "We respect Mr. Nugent, his opinions and his music." Nugent has returned to Austin since the 2000 concert without incident.

In an hour-long phone interview, Nugent held forth on politics, music, his Austin brunch buddy and even Tom and Katie. He also called the interviewer a "liberal chimp" with allegiance to those "pathetic hippies in Austin." But in a nice way.

Nugent on hunting:

"Certainly, there's a powerful folklore dynamic to a grizzly bear, an elephant, a rhino, buffalo and lions. And I've killed all of those things . . .

"I share campfires, Robert, with terminally ill children, soldiers who have given up their legs and arms and eyes so that I can go hunting, so that you can have a career and I can have a career and we can go barbecuing and we could be the best that we can be and travel across state lines without the Gestapo and the French stopping us."

On "the kill":

"The kill itself is such a brief hiccup in time. You know it's misrepresentative and I believe anti-symbolic of what hunting surely is . . . I'd rather frame the exultation and the gushing of emotional and spiritual celebration, regarding any and all hunts in more (the idea of) who are you with."

On eating Nugent-style:

For his beef supply, he relies on a few "conscientious organic producers." For most everything else he hunts. "There's nothing more pure and organic than critters of the hoof. . . . If I've been smart about anything in life, it's that at the tender age of 57, there's not a city in America where there isn't one of my fellow brothers with something dead and fresh over mesquite waiting for me. Is that beautiful or what?"

On his favorite arthropod:

"(The botanists) come to my ranch in Michigan every year, where I have a wonderful specialized wetlands known as a fen . . . the only piece of ecosystem in North America where the Mitchell's Satyr Butterfly is thriving, an endangered species everywhere, except on Ted Nugent's property."

On Texas Gov. Rick Perry:

"I understand he is a good hunter . . . When I come to Austin, I'm even more fortified because I typically have a Tex-Mex brunch with the governor at the mansion there . . . So it's really the best of all worlds." (Perry's media spokeswoman Kathy Walt confirms that Nugent and Perry talk and exchange e-mails. "They get along very well," she says.)

On the "speak English" controversy:

"You've heard the horror story of the dumbing-down of America. Part of that dumbing-down is also the chiseling away of true independence, which drove the original immigration dreamers coming through Ellis Island. . . . They knew they had to read those English words while they're pushing the broom, while they're sewing those garments, while they're doing that dry cleaning, while they're picking that fruit, while they're working on those shoes, you know what I mean? That era of work ethic towers over the current (one) of 'no comprende.' "

On why he appreciates Michael Moore:

"He's quite a beast of burden, isn't he? Nothing makes me look better than Michael Moore. He stands for everything I don't believe in and I stand for everything he doesn't believe in."

On Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes:

"I see a lot of smiles. I love when people are happy. She's a bomber. She's stunning. He's a handsome young man and a brilliant actor unto himself."

On what he would do in the event of a "War of the Worlds"-like alien invasion:

"I'm privy to some firepower dynamics that your average civilian is not and we would just wipe the (expletives) out. And then we'd probably sauté them and use them for bait and kill some bear over their carcasses."

On why he sports the Confederate flag at his concerts:

"(It's) a historical symbol of a lifestyle and a freedom and an independence below the Mason-Dixon line that many great men and women gave up their lives for during the Civil War. To me, it represents a certain defiance against federalism, a certain defiance against other people telling you how to live your life. And I wear it because I'm a big fan of defiance."

On guns:

"You should be able to put the second bullet in the same hole as the first bullet. That's gun control. I think good gun control is that no felons should have any access to firearms."

On his newest pop culture obsession:

"Since the Motown greats, I don't think I've ever seen such soul, such virtuosity in every one of those gals and every one of those musicians to the point that I was stunned and genuinely chilled by the soul and dynamic of that Destiny's Child operation."

Robert Winterode writes for the Austin American-Statesman. E-mail: rwinterode@statesman.com

Ellie

eddief
07-12-05, 11:27 AM
Nugent is a draft dodger who got out of Vietnam by appearing for the draft board unshowered and soiled. He also lived with an underage girl during his heyday. There is no way he will ever be governor.