PDA

View Full Version : enlistment options

22DevilPup87
10-30-02, 11:28 AM
I'll graduate high school in 2004 and though that's a ways away I'm looking into my post graduation options now.
I know I want a career in the Marines, and I know I want to be college educated and become an officer, but how to go about that is still undecided.

At first I wanted to enlist as enlisted and earn my college degree while active duty but now I'm truly looking into all of my options. I'd like your plans, experiences, and thoughts of the different ways of being a Marine while earning a degree: active duty enlisted while earning a degree, reserve enlisted while earning a degree, and ROTC while earning a degree to enlist as an officer. Recently, on another board, I was told about a PLC program that would allow me to be a full-time student and Marine in reserve status while working to become an officer.

Thank you,
Jess

Barrio_rat
10-30-02, 12:42 PM
If you want to be an officer, go through ROTC or try to gain an appointment to one of the academies. The Citidel, VMI and Texas A&M are also good choices if you are looking to a career as an officer. It is tough as hell to gain college while in the service. I knew guys who would be in college and therefore were 'undeployable.' When college was over, they'd get deployed and stay deployed, keeping them from being able to go back to school. Was with one command, was given a welcome aboard and then told '.. and don't even think about going to college.' Even with the college there's no guarantee that they will accept you to OCS or to become an officer. If it's what you want, look into the officer programs. Reserves might be an option for you but, as bones has stated on other threads, do your research. Good luck to ya!

wrbones
10-30-02, 12:45 PM
Dang. A question that almost makes sense! LOL. See! That didn't hurt at all, did it!

Workin for a degree while being enlisted is tough. I knew a few who were workin' on it when I was in. Lots of times they kept gettin kinda wokred over by duty and gettin transferred to another base. It's do-able, but difficult. ROTC is one consideration. Gettin an appointment to the Naval Acadeny is another option to look into. If you go enlisted, there are other otions for becoming an officer, including becoming a Warrant Officer.

Check with yer local recruiter.

There'll be somebody along here who'll have better and more complete answers to yer questions. Keep checking .

gemntx
10-30-02, 01:01 PM
So far everyone has given you some good advice and bits to think about. Your first decision should be "What do I want to do in life?" It sounds like you've answered that in your desire to join our ranks. Whether you join as an officer or enlisted depends, once again, on what you want to do in the Corps. Talk to a recruiter and also to an OSO (Officer Selection Officer?). They will be able to give a complete picture of options on entering and Occupational fields once you are in. When thinking about colleges, look at what you want to study, who has the best curriculum for that, is there a future after military service with that education and can the school support your desire to earn a commission into the Marine Corps. There are a number of excellant schools out there (I'm partial to Texas A&M) that will fit your needs. Lastly, follow your heart. Only can decide what you want to do and you will have to live with those decisions. Finding out information ahead of time is good, use it to your advantage.

Good Luck
Glenn

22DevilPup87
10-30-02, 02:04 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. It's certainly given me something to think about and a new foundation to start more research on.

What do I want to do with my life?

I know I want a military career as a Marine. By that I mean a solid 20+ years. As far as what I do for the Corps specifically . . . well, I'm not sure yet. That depends where the Corps needs me. The only thing I stand firmly in is I will earn a college degree and I won't have a desk job.

What is my heart telling me?

My heart wants to earn the title so badly that I want to enlist right out of high school, but my head is telling me to think it through. From what I'm hearing about "how it really is" from Marines I'm understanding that earning a degree while active duty won't be impossible, but it'll certainly be difficult. I love a challenge, but I see no reason to make life more difficult than it needs to be as long as I get the job done right the first time in a timely manner.

Texas A&M, Citidel, VMI, and the Naval Academy . . . time for me to hit the books and do some research.

Thanks again.

Jess

Seeley
10-30-02, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 22DevilPup87
My heart wants to earn the title so badly that I want to enlist right out of high school, but my head is telling me to think it through.

My thoughts exactly...I want in NOW but of course I can't do that :). I have a friend at Citadel and one at Marion Military Academy as well as one at the NROTC in Arizona, and the Naval Academy. I have learned a lot from them by asking questions when they are allowed to come and visit. For me, it sounds like an ROTC would be the best. I mean, I have good grades, but not Naval Academy quality if you know what I mean ;). I'm looking into NROTC at the University of Washington right now (UW NROTC Site (http://depts.washington.edu/uwnrotc/))

Good luck with finding out what you want to do :)

- Seeley

22DevilPup87
10-30-02, 07:49 PM
Seeley,
Thank you for your thoughts and good wishes on the matter. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm willing to work for everything and earn my way (That's the only way I'd have it.) but I'm used to working hard to get it NOW. I'm homeschooled using an accredited internet based program and am told I'll graduate Tier I. I'm working hard to graduate a year early.

I'm sort of limited in where I go to college, not by grades or finances, but because I'll turn 17 about three weeks before my high school graduation ceremony. Being a minor, my parents have a lot of say in where I go. Until I'm 18 they want me to be near family. They stand quite firmly in that notion. I have family in San Diego, somewhere in Texas, and of course here in Maryland where I live.

I haven't taken my SATs yet but I earn good grades. I have a 3.99 gpa. I'm not sure if I could make it into the Naval Academy. Honestly, I was so set in my ways and stubborn until just recently. I was convinced I was going to enlist on my 17th birthday (in May 2003) and ship out by the end of that year. CONVINCED! (Stupid, I know.) Now I'm starting to look at that idea and leave it open as an option, but an unlikely option to be used only if I didn't get accepted into any of the available schools with NROTC.

In about a year I'll be visiting colleges and making applications so I have a lot of work to do. I did a yahoo search and saw that USD (University of San Diego) has NROTC and I've heard good things about that school. Anyone have any comments?

Take care,
Jess

aaron1965
10-31-02, 03:25 AM
Get your education. You cannot go wrong. Always keep your eyes on the goal of becoming a Marine. It's not easy, as you well know, but as my father always told me, "Nothing ever worthwhile is easy, if it was, you would not value it."

Seeley
10-31-02, 06:52 AM
I think I'll take that piece of advice and use it from now on :). Thanks for the post aaron1965.

- Seeley

22DevilPup87
10-31-02, 08:15 AM
I second Seeley's post:
Aaron1965,
Great advice, and very true. That's something I'll carry with me from now on. Thanks for the post.