PDA

View Full Version : Marines enjoy War of Worlds

thedrifter
07-09-05, 06:19 AM
Marines enjoy War of Worlds
MCRD San Diego
Story by Pfc. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (July 8, 2005) -- Paramount Pictures invited several Marines to a special "War of The Worlds" screening at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, Calif., June 27, two days before the science fiction remake's premiere.

Sixteen depot Marines picked up their tickets from the will-call office and passed a line of media to the lavish carpet and entrance where they met celebrities such as Will Smith, Anthony Hopkins, Matthew Perry, Ice Cube, Adrien Brody, Jason Lee and Lauren Graham.

"I met Will Smith, and he was a very distinguished gentleman. He was personable and a class act," said Gunnery Sgt. Traycie A. Loving, Headquarters and Service Battalion logistics chief.

The theater was a spectacle itself with long drapes covered with Chinese artwork and various authentic-looking pieces. Cpl. Jason A. Maat, depot adjutant clerk, said he admired the theater's great architectural design.

"It was a one of a kind experience - the whole Hollywood event. It changed my view of Tom Cruise, seeing him show up two hours early to sign autographs and the fact that it seemed he was in full support of the fan premiere," said Sgt. David L. Walter, training noncommissioned officer, Service Company, H&S Battalion. "It was also nice to see him set aside tickets for the military."

After moviegoers took their seats, Cruise - accompanied by actress ladylove Katie Holmes - welcomed and thanked everyone for coming to the screening.

The alien-takeover movie directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Cruise and child sensation Dakota Fanning features Marines in some scenes. And Marines liked it.

"Altogether, I was impressed by the special effects and dialogue. It seemed the actors were really well prepared for their roles," said Pfc. Kevin M. Dorris, travel clerk, Finance Office.

"The movie had good cinematography and it was on point for what they promoted and for what they spent," said Maat.

Ellie