PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity in action by A C L U

Ed Palmer
07-08-05, 08:19 AM
Judge- Pentagon Can't Fund Scout Jamboree
A federal judge has ruled the Pentagon can no longer spend millions in government money to ready a Virginia military base for a national Boy Scout event typically held every four years, the American Civil Liberties Union (search) announced Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Blanche Manning's June 22 order stems from a 1999 lawsuit by the ACLU of Illinois that claimed the Defense Department (search) sponsorship violates the First Amendment because the Scouts require members to swear an oath of duty to God.

Justice Department spokesman Charles Miller said Thursday the government was still considering its options.

The order doesn't cover this year's National Scout Jamboree (search), which start July 25 and is expected to draw more than 40,000 people to the Army's Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.

A Scouts spokesman said he expects the Pentagon's lawyers to appeal.

"We are confident that an appeal to the 7th Circuit will return everything to the status quo," Bob Bork said.

ACLU of Illinois spokesman Ed Yohnka said no other youth organization receives millions of dollars in government support, and that the injunction is the latest step toward ending the Scouts' unfair advantage.

The Defense Department notified the Chicago federal court in April that it would support this summer's jamboree, despite a ruling by Manning in March that the department's aid was unconstitutional. The government argued at the time that the ruling wasn't final.

The government aid, which amounted to $6 million and $8 million respectively for the jamborees in 1997 and 2001, was used to transport military personnel and other goods there, according to Manning's March order. The government expected to pay about $7.3 million for this year's jamboree.

Jamboree activities include archery, biking, a confidence course, environmental conservation programs and kayaking, according to the Scouts' Web site.
--------------------------------------------------------

Osotogary
07-08-05, 09:18 AM
I bet the ACLU really had a fit this last Fourth of July, especially with the concert that was held in Washington DC. The word God was used a whole lot of times during that concert.

ivalis
07-09-05, 11:58 PM
The god part is a bit wierd.

I don't agree w/ spending the money on the boy scouts.

Wyoming
07-10-05, 04:32 PM
ivalis, everyone has an opinion.

In my opinion, you'll prolly vote for Hillary and think Teddy Kennedy is a national treasure.

Just what the Hell is wrong with you?

ivalis
07-10-05, 05:55 PM
it's public money going to a private organization, that's the problem i have.

have the same beef w/ tax money going to pay for ball parks, school vouchers, & the olympics.

donations to the boy scouts are tax deductable, that's enough of a subsidy.

i'm the fiscal conservative.

Nagalfar
07-10-05, 08:52 PM
ivalis name just ONE govt. org. that is as good for kids as Boy Scouts.. so if something is private it should not be funded? what about all the PRIVATE R&D for weapons and tech research? a great portion of that is not funded by the companies.. would you prefer we didnt have any of that as well? with the level of taxes we as Americans pay we damn well better be getting something for it.. as a nation I do think we should not be sending money abroad like we do seems every little and large nation gets some form of money from us, hell we give Saudi Arabia FOREIGN AID.. figure that one out, there are a lot bigger fish to start with, and as far as the ACLU, I think ARC Light would really do that place some good .. and if you dont think school vouchers are a good idea.. then you have not been paying attention to what is going on AND being taught in public schools.. you really need to rethink this..

Joseph P Carey
07-11-05, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by ivalis

i'm the fiscal conservative.

Ivalis,

The only thing you are is an AIDS infected flaming idiot as far as I am concerned. That is my opinion. What was on the menu at the institution tonight?

jinelson
07-11-05, 12:52 AM
LMFAO ;)