PDA

View Full Version : Virginia dealer who scammed Marines makes news again

thedrifter
07-07-05, 01:09 PM
Virginia dealer who scammed Marines makes news again
Submitted by: MCB Quantico
Story Identification #: 200577133059
Story by Cpl. Jonathan Agg

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. (July 7, 2005) -- A York County, Va., car dealer who was stripped of his license for predatory practices against nine service members from as far away as Camp Lejeune, N.C., Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., and Fort Bragg, N.C., has come under scrutiny once again.

Ronnie Neff, the proprietor of Carland, lost his business and license to deal cars in Virginia after a Virginia Motor Vehicle Dealer Board hearing in June 2004 determined he had violated a number of state laws, including defrauding retail buyers, engaging in deceptive acts and practices, failing to identify as a dealer in advertising, improperly issuing tags and failing to comply with prior warnings from the state.

Most recently, a May 6 hearing by the Virginia Motor Vehicle Dealer Board resulted in fines for Norfolk-based Liberty Auto Sales, where Neff was working as a car buyer at the time.

While Neff was not directly implicated in any wrongdoings, his employer was fined for record-keeping discrepancies.

Under Virginia law, a dealer license is not required to buy cars for resale.

Peggy Bailey, office manager at the Virginia Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, said the Carland case was an unusually brazen instance of predatory practices against military service members.

“The evidence that was brought forward clearly demonstrated that these people were defrauded,” said Bailey. “This was a real eye-opener for this agency. I really felt sorry for the victims who had the unfortunate circumstances to do business with (Neff).”

Lance Cpl. Jonathan Spurrier, a Quantico Marine and one of several service members not included in the original complaint, fell for one of Neff’s common deceptions in November 2003. After replying to a business card posted in his barracks, he accepted a free ride to Carland’s remote location where he was told to buy a car or find his own way home.

Additionally, Spurrier ended up paying more than $13,000 for a 1998 Volkswagen Passat, which he estimated had a blue book value of about $6,000. Later, Spurrier was able to refinance the 13 percent annual percentage rate offered by Carland at 5.1 percent with Navy Federal Credit Union, but still felt he had been coerced into paying too much for his new car. Now, Spurrier advises fellow Marines to steer clear of small car lots and instead seek out more reputable dealerships.

“I advise against buying a vehicle from a personal lot. There’s less chance of getting scammed at a large lot,” said Spurrier, who also said Marines should trust their gut instincts. “If you do get that feeling, your best bet is to go with that feeling.”

Capt. L.C. Kindlon, a trial attorney at Camp Lejeune and former legal assistance attorney who represented three Carland customers, said the threat of car dealership scams is an ever-present concern for service members.

“There are other Ronnie Neffs waiting in the wings to pick up where Carland left off,” said Kindlon. “The thing I try to impress upon my clients is to make sure you see all the paperwork. If the other side is putting any pressure on you to sign anything or won’t let you think about it overnight, stop right there. If you can’t buy time to show it to your company gunnery sergeant, that’s the red flag.”

Kindlon said it is common for unscrupulous car dealers to take advantage of the youth and inexperience of first-term Marines.

“I know when I was 21 I was a bumbling fool when it came to financial affairs,” said Kindlon. “If it feels weird, you have to be humble and say, ‘Let me ask my gunny.’ It’s a Marine’s job to fight battles, not to know how to negotiate these financial matters.”

For more information about how to protect yourself against unfair business practices, contact your local legal assistance office.

Ellie