thedrifter
07-07-05, 07:43 AM
Published Thursday, July 7, 2005
By Bill Rufty
The Ledger
Fantasy of Flight
Iwo Jima Monument Gets Temporary Home
Theme Park Offers Spot for Tribute That Was Moved From I-4

http://imgsrv.theledger.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=LL&Date=20050707&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=507070367&Ref=AR&maxw=180

The memorial honoring Marines who fought on Iwo Jima is on display near the entrance to Fantasy of Flight in Polk City. The site is temporary until a permanent home can be found near an interstate highway. ERNST PETERS/The Ledger

LAKELAND -- From the Halls of Montezuma to the gates of Fantasy of Flight, a monument depicting Marines raising the American flag over Iwo Jima has found a temporary new home after losing its spot along Interstate 4 three years ago.

Fantasy of Flight owner Kermit Weeks said the attraction was happy to offer the monument a home, and he praised the group of veterans who saved and restored the monument.

"We are excited about having it here, even if only for a year," Weeks said. "It is only about a mile from its original location on I-4. I think it is a great thing that these guys have done, and we are only too happy to help."

Those working to save the monument said the attraction with its collection of vintage combat planes is a perfect temporary location.

The replica of the famed World War II monument in Washington had stood since 1989 on the north side of I-4 near Polk City, a tribute to veterans commissioned and paid for by the late E.R. "Bob" Pipping, a World War II Navy veteran.

Pipping persuaded Felix de Weldon, sculptor of the original monument in Washington, to make a bas-relief of his creation.

Pipping died in 1999, but the 9-foot monument remained in his orange grove alongside the interstate until 2002 when it had to be removed and placed in storage because of the widening of the highway.

In the meantime, the grove was sold. A group of veterans enlisted the support of state Rep. John Stargel, R-Lakeland, to file a law that would allow monuments to veterans and the military to be placed at interstate rest stops. The practice is allowed in some other states, such as North Carolina, which has a monument to that state's dead from the Vietnam War on Interstate 85.

Stargel's bill passed the 2005 Legislature, and last month Gov. Jeb Bush signed the E.R. Pipping Jr. Memorial Act. But it could be a year or more until the first monument can be installed at a rest area in the state.

Bush must appoint a committee, which will set guidelines and then review applications for rest area monuments. In addition to the local rest stop monument, a group near Pensacola has shown an interest in creating a monument to the Blue Angels jet performance team on Interstate 10.

The local veterans group didn't want to wait any longer. Weeks was glad to oblige with a place for the Iwo Jima monument replica.

"We had it completely restored, and it is now at the main gate complete with a black sand base simulating the volcanic ash on the shores of Iwo Jima," said Larry Mclaughlin of Lakeland, an organizer of the group protecting the monument.

McLaughlin said the group will put sealer on the black sand base today to protect it in case of heavy winds and rains from Hurricane Dennis.

The monument is just inside the main gate to Fantasy of Flight and is visible from State Road 557 even without entering.

Attraction officials said there is no fee to stop inside the gate and look at the monument. There is a fee to go into the Fantasy of Flight exhibits, however.

Fantasy of Flight is reached from I-4 by taking Exit 44 and following the direction signs.

Bill Rufty can be reached at bill.rufty@theledger.com or 863802-7523.

Ellie