PDA

View Full Version : Military Recruiting

thedrifter
07-06-05, 04:09 PM
MILITARY RECRUITING
Lewis W. Diuguid
Where there’s a will, there’s a way to get signed up
Diuguid

The New York Times on May 3 reported that interviews with more than 24 recruiters in 10 states showed mental health histories and police records were concealed, and cheating on aptitude tests was taking place to enlist more young people.

Travis Greenway’s height increased 2 inches and his blond hair grew out since his winter of profound change.

He’s matured a lot since he was released from the Army on Feb. 14. Anger over the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and Osama bin Laden compelled the 2004 Chillicothe High School graduate to see a military recruiter after Thanksgiving.

But he also wanted the better life the Army offered. Greenway, 19, lived in a trailer, ate TV dinners and made $5.15 plus tips delivering pizzas. “I was living paycheck to paycheck,” he said. The Army offered a salary, no nagging bills and a $15,000 bonus.

He admires the Army recruiter, Sgt. Brian Wetzel, who signed him up. But thinking back, Greenway realizes that a lot of coaching about what to do and say occurred to make it happen. Recruiters, under pressure to meet their goals, are hungry for people like Greenway. The Bush administration is confronting a need for more recruits.

But recruiting has become more difficult. The Army and Marines have reported misses this year in efforts to meet their goals.

The New York Times on May 3 reported that interviews with more than 24 recruiters in 10 states showed mental health histories and police records were concealed, and cheating on aptitude tests was taking place to enlist more young people.

Greenway explained that his situation wasn’t much different.

“He didn’t lie to me about anything,” he said of his recruiter. “He just didn’t tell me everything.”

Greenway was overweight when he enlisted. The recruiter said he knew guys who dropped pounds fast by cocooning their bodies in plastic wrap and taking laxatives.

Greenway did both. The recruiter said he couldn’t tell Greenway what to say in disclosing his mental health history or medications.

“He said, ‘If you tell me, I’ll be obliged to report it,’ ” Greenway said. “He wasn’t being dishonest.”

When asked about Greenway’s mental health history, the laxatives and the plastic wrap use, Wetzel said the only medical issue he recalled was high blood pressure, and Greenway got a waiver for that.

Looking back, Greenway said he shouldn’t have been so eager. “It’s my fault,” he said.

Greenway’s father, Jerry Armstrong, said his son like many young people in small towns are easy prey for military recruiters.

“My son is a real sensitive kid, real religious,” Armstrong said. “These people are targeting them.”

In rural and urban areas the military has the glow of opportunity.

“Small town people have a hard time finding jobs,” Armstrong said. “The recruiters sell them a bill of goods.”

Greenway didn’t disclose that he was once on an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drugs. The military drug test only screens for illegal narcotics. “Everything came back clean,” Greenway said.

Douglas Smith, spokesperson for the Army Recruiting Command, said there was “no record of recruiter misconduct” in Greenway’s case. He e-mailed data showing a drop in recruiter impropriety nationwide. But Smith added that the military doesn’t seek recruits’ medical records.

“We are relying on the individual to tell their mental history,” he said. “We are at the mercy of the applicant telling those things.”

In January, Greenway flew from Kansas City to boot camp in Fort Jackson, S.C.

He yearned to be stationed in Germany or Japan but was assured in boot camp that Iraq was in his future.

Greenway did his best. But the anxiety he had suffered as a teenager returned.

The service was sure to inflame his mental health problems. An Army study shows one in six soldiers in Iraq report symptoms of severe depression, serious anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder. Officials said because 1 million U.S. troops have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, the veterans health-care system could be hit with more than 100,000 soldiers needing treatment.

Karen Soule, public affairs officer at Fort Jackson, said Greenway was returned to Kansas City by bus. He didn’t get the bonus.

Greenway lost his job, his car, has been in and out of hospitals and was back on medication. The service changed him. “It’s kind of nice not being government property anymore,” he said.

He has rededicated himself to God, wants to go to college, become a church deacon and write books. “Maybe God wants me to change the world with a pen instead of a rifle,” Greenway said.

His father said: “I’m happy as long as he got back; as long as it wasn’t feet first in a body bag.”

Lewis W. Diuguid is a member of The Star’s Editorial Board. To reach him, call (816) 234-4723 or send e-mail to Ldiuguid@kcstar.com. Lewis W. Diuguid is a member of The Star’s Editorial Board. To reach him, call (816) 234-4723 or send e-mail to Ldiuguid@kcstar.com.

Ellie