PDA

View Full Version : Troops in Afghanistan celebrate Fourth of July

thedrifter
07-06-05, 09:50 AM
Troops in Afghanistan celebrate Fourth of July
By BARRY WINEGARD
U.S. Army
Tuesday, July 5, 2005

EDITOR'S NOTE: U.S. Army Col. Barry Wingard of Florence is assigned to Kabul, Afghanistan.
Soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines working out of Camp Eggers, Afghanistan, celebrated the Fourth of July on July 1 enjoying what we call "low battle rhythm."

Although missions and force protection continues, nonessential meetings, briefings, and the like are scaled back; it affords time to kick back and relax.

To my surprise and great delight, I discovered one of Camp Eggers' newest soldiers is from the Pee Dee.

Marion native Captain Cenethea Harraway, daughter of the late James Drayton and Dorothy Drayton, is an 18-year U.S. Army veteran.

The University of South Carolina graduate is doing a superb job as deputy director of public affairs, a demanding job in a combat zone.

Harraway and hundreds of other warriors were treated to a bonanza of foodstuffs, including T-bones, burgers, hot dogs, pulled pork and ribs, with all the trimmings, corn on the cob, potato salad, and delicious cakes, cookies and pies.

If desperate enough, you could wash it all down with everybody's favorite, nasty near-beer, Three Horse Ale.

While I stuffed my face, energetic (younger) colleagues competed in events such as the Humvee pull, litter (stretcher) races, and pull-ups or push-ups.

There were less military-specific contests such as three-on-three basketball and dominoes.

All in all, the day provided much needed, albeit brief, respites from our normal, hectic tempo.

As festive as the day was, sadness hovered in the air as thoughts drifted to the warriors who paid the full price. The missing recon team and loss of 16 colleagues is still sinking in. Our sympathy goes out to families and friends of our comrades in arms.

Keeping up with what is going on at home is important, and as time permits, I follow the Morning News and The State online services.

Two things regarding veterans caught my attention.

Congratulations to Mayor Frank Willis and his Veterans Memorial Committee, a group I was privileged to work with before coming here.

Because of their dedication, efforts by Ed Young, and the Byrd family generosity, Florence soon will have a much-needed addition to the community as it honors veterans.

The other big news regarding veterans is the magnificent veterans monument being constructed on the Statehouse grounds, now scheduled for dedication Veterans' Day, Nov. 11, at 3 p.m.

I, too, was fortunate to be an appointee to this group. I feel a sense of pride that I had a small part in honoring our veterans in these two venues, even though I went AWOL before the missions were complete.

In closing, you might know I devote a few hours each week to community relations if possible.

Visiting orphanages, villages or hospitals is depressing, yet rewarding. I deliver goods - blankets, clothes and hygiene products - whatever you send. Via this forum, allow me to acknowledge some who clearly went "beyond the call of duty."

Columbia's WVOC Radio's Keven Cohen, an afternoon talk-show host, interviewed me live to discuss our Afghan mission and our volunteer work.

The result was dozens of boxes of goods and donations of cash for destitute Afghans.

Next, the Newberry First Baptist Church congregation sends shipments regularly and in great quantity.

I am elated to be the conduit to deliver goods to those who suffer in unbelievable poverty, but I also feel guilty that, because of others' generosity, I am able to reap the rewards of the Afghans' joy and see the smiles, the eyes light up and sense their happiness.

Most of all, I want to thank all of you for your support for the troops here in Afghanistan, among America's finest young men and women, doing what the people we elected asked them to do, and doing it outstandingly.

- U.S. Army Col. Barry Wingard of Florence is assigned to Kabul, Afghanistan, in the Office of Military Cooperation, Director of Resource Sector (Police). His office works with the government of Afghanistan and coalition forces to recruit, train and equip a 62,000-man Afghan National Police Force.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-14-05, 06:08 AM
Posted on: Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Kaneohe Marine, 19, drowns

By Mike Gordon
Advertiser Staff Writer

The Pentagon yesterday announced the death of a Hawai'i-based Marine serving in Afghanistan, one day after he was buried with military honors on the Navajo Nation in Arizona.

Lance Cpl. Kevin B. Joyce of Klagetoh, Ariz., drowned in rushing floodwaters of the Pech River on June 25. He was 19.

Joyce was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, at Marine Corps Base Hawai'i.

An infantryman with Company E, Joyce had deployed to Asadabad, Afghanistan, in June and had not been there long when a patrol he was with got in trouble June 25, the Marines said.

As the patrol was returning to its base, Camp Blessing, about 11 p.m., Joyce's vehicle — one of five in the convoy — was traveling along a cliffside road that could not support the weight of the vehicle.

The vehicle slipped when the edge of the road collapsed, dumping three Marines. One of them fell about 10 to 12 feet onto a ledge above the Pech River. A second Marine landed in the river but was close enough to its bank to get out.

Joyce fell into the river, which was experiencing the worst flooding in 16 years, the Marines said. River currents estimated at 30 to 35 mph swept Joyce away.

Marines in the convoy immediately searched the area and tied a rope to a rescue swimmer who was unable to find Joyce in the river.

Search teams did not find Joyce until July 4 when his body was located near Torkham Gate, Afghanistan, the Marines said. He was positively identified on July 7 at the Marine Casualty Headquarters in Dover, Del.

The identification was a heavy blow to a very large family, which includes his mother, 21 aunts and uncles, and a small army of teenager cousins all about the same age as Joyce, said Lillie Roanhorse, one of his aunts.

"He was a wonderful young man," she said yesterday from her home in Window Rock. "He had a great personality. He was very kind to everybody."

Although Joyce grew up in Klagetoh, he attended high school 75 miles away in Joseph City, making the drive each day with his mother, Roanhorse said.

Her nephew wanted to join the Marines so badly, he skipped his commencement exercises in the spring of 2004 to get to boot camp early, Roanhorse said.

"That's all he wanted to do was be in the military," she said.

Joyce graduated from Marine boot camp in San Diego nearly a year ago — on Aug. 20, 2004 — and arrived in Hawai'i in October.

Family and friends buried Joyce on Monday at Fort Defiance Veterans Cemetery, which is not far from Window Rock, Ariz., the capital of the Navajo Nation.

The cemetery, which sits on a hill, also serves at the final resting place for several military veterans in Joyce's family, Roanhorse said.

The funeral was sad beyond words.

"Everyone was crying," Roanhorse said. "Whenever they could cry, they cried."

All Navajo Nation flags have been flying at half-staff in honor of Joyce and another Navajo who was killed in Iraq.

The flags will remain at half-staff until Friday.

Ellie