PDA

View Full Version : Toby Keith might not be for the war, but he's behind our soldiers

thedrifter
07-05-05, 10:09 AM
Courtesty of Mark aka The Fontman

Music Preview: Toby Keith might not be for the war, but he's behind our soldiers
Thursday, June 30, 2005
By Ed Masley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Toby Keith is tearing up the country charts this very minute with a smile-inducing sing-along that hangs its chorus on the line "I ain't as good as I once was/But I'm as good once as I ever was."

As charming as the song's self-deprecating take on aging is, though, there's no evidence that Keith is slowing down on the career front -- not with that song well along the road to No. 1 on the country singles chart and "Honky Tonk University" about to spend a sixth straight week at No. 1 on Billboard's country album chart.

Keith and co-writer Scotty Emerick knew they'd written something special with "As Good As I Once Was," a song that's pretty much as good as Keith has ever been.

"The second Scott and I were done," says Keith, "I said, 'This is an absolute, can't-miss smash. It hits my core fan right in the grill.' "

The chorus is something his dad used to say, much like the chorus of "Go With Her," a track that first appeared on last year's "Greatest Hits 2."

As the star recalls the inspiration for "Go With Her," "My dad had some friends that divorced in their late 60s and my dad was worried about the guy starting over again at his age. I said, 'I can't believe you're this worried about somebody else gettin' a divorce. You're barely friends with the guy. Why you frettin' so much?' And he said, 'I don't know what I'd do if your mama left me. I guess I'd just pack up and go with her.' So I wrote a song about a guy telling his son, 'If she leaves you, do what I did when your mama left me, son. Pack up your things and go with her.' "

One song that's destined to follow "As Good As I Once Was" right up the country singles chart is "She Ain't Hooked on Me No More," an aching duet with the legendary Merle Haggard. Much like bringing Willie Nelson in to duet on "Beer for My Horses," he says, "That's not as much to satisfy my fans as it is to just satisfy me. I got in a position where I could go do some things for myself, and I wanted to write and record a song with Hag and write and record a song with Willie. And it's great to hear those voices back on country radio after all these years. For me to be the vehicle we used to get their voices on the radio was a great opportunity. But it was just selfish. I did it for me."

So does he ever worry, having rounded 40 in 2001, that one day in the not-too-distant future he might be replaced on country radio, like Haggard and Nelson and so many others before him?

There's a slight pause, then he answers, "I think it probably will happen someday. But you know what? Your star just shines as bright as it shines. To reach the masses, you have to be on radio. And at some point, if your music's not what their listeners are listening to, they'll play whoever it is. That doesn't mean you have to quit making music."

It's been years since he captured the mood of the country while painting a patriotic target on his chest for angry leftists with "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)." But even though the single fueling sales of Keith's new album couldn't be further removed from the notion of stomping the anti-American element, Keith has yet to shake his image in the mainstream media as something of a right-wing hawk.

And he's not pleased with that portrayal

"I never had any agenda there," he says. "But I get painted with a real broad red, white and blue brush. I have a real simple process. When I get 12 or 15 songs written, I go in and record 'em and that's my album. After 9/11, a few days out, I wrote an angry song that was political. That one song about wanting to put a boot in their ass is obviously political. But 'American Soldier' was just a tribute to the veterans who served our country. And I don't have anything like that on this record. But I didn't move on or pre-plan it. I just didn't write about it this year."

So where does he stand, then, on the war?

"I completely supported the Afghanistan thing 100 percent," he says. "You've got a guy dealing guns and crack in your neighborhood by your kids' school, you call the police. You want 'em to go in, bust it up and get the bad guy, right? Well, when somebody flies planes into buildings, the armed forces may be the police to go do it, but you still want 'em to go get the bad guy. So all of a sudden, because of my song, which is 100 percent all about 9/11 -- it has nothing to do with the Iraq War -- I get lumped into that anyway, but that's part of the baggage you've gotta deal with. It comes with the territory."

He never supported the war in Iraq, he says, although a recent trip to Europe may have changed his mind.

"I go to Europe and stay with General [James L.] Jones, who's been moved from a four-star general commandant of the Marine Corps to the position that Eisenhower, Alexander Haig, Wesley Clark and eight or nine other people have held and that is the leader of SHAPE, our allied forces of Europe. So after my concert in Brussels for a bunch of the soldiers about to be deployed and their families at this base, the general took me over to a little VIP meeting, and I met with all the commanders representing Spain and France and all the other countries in this alliance ... and this is a great piece of news. All these other leaders, they are all in agreeance on us being in there. We've all shared the same information. They all agree, and some of them, even to the point of using the word embarrassed, said, 'We agree with what y'all are doing but politically, our country won't let us involve ourselves.' So here you've got all this information and you're the leader of the French army and I'm Gen. Jones and you bring me this intel saying 'We agree, this guy has got to go; he's bad for the world,' and it's sad that the United States will have to go carry it out, but his country won't let their military participate in something that their military completely agrees with. So it's some of those things there that make it hard for me to argue with us being in there, even though I don't agree with this war and it looks like a complete disaster."

France's military leader, in particular, was nervous about shaking hands with The Angry American.

"He knew I was a gung-ho patriot," says Keith. "He heard my set. He's obviously bilingual, and he heard 'Angry American' and 'American Soldier' and all my support for the troops and at the end of the show he felt like 'How is he going to feel about meeting somebody from France?' with as bad a name as France has got in our country. And I was going, 'Nah, man, I'll shake your hand.' And he goes, 'I support.' You'll never hear that on CNN."

It may seem kind of weird that Keith would have that kind of access to the world's military leaders. But even those who get their news from CNN would have to grant him this much: the troops couldn't ask for a bigger supporter, one who puts his body where his big old mouth is, playing more than 60 USO dates overseas. And he does more than play a show.

"I convoy with them," Keith explains. "When we go to Baghdad, we don't just land in the green zone and sing. We get out in Indian country, in the Wild Wild West. There ain't no use me goin' over there and just standing in Baghdad and telling the soldiers to come to me. I go to them. If you're not on a Blackhawk helicopter, jumping from Mosul to Tikrit to Fallujah to Taji and then back on an airplane to go to Afghanistan to do Kandahar and Kabul, if you're not going to the remote areas ... I don't want to just play to the behind-the-scenes guys. I want to look in the eyes and shake the hands of the guys [that are] going on patrol every night."

One other point he'd like to make -- emphatically, in fact -- is that he's never taken any money for his USO work.

continued..........

thedrifter
07-05-05, 10:10 AM
"I've done 60 shows abroad and never made one nickel for it," Keith says. "I thought that was just the way that it's supposed to be. And I just found out on this trip that more than half the artists they've got coming over there to perform are getting appearance fees. Our government allots them a budget for entertaining the troops, and you use that to pay a guy to come over there to play, that just takes away from how much you can spend to give them some R&R on their day off. The USO is really, really good at taking first-class care of you and treating you like a dignitary. You get red-carpet treatment the whole way, and I would challenge any entertainer that's got anything to offer a soldier to contact the USO and get on board one of these trips. But if you're charging the Army appearance fees, I'll tell you this: 'Just stay home. If you want to get paid by the Army to play for them instead of just going out of a labor of love, just stay home. I think the Army would just rather not have you.' "

Keith has never in his life felt more important, he says, than when he's on stage playing for the troops.

"I love Pittsburgh to death," he says. "I've got a tie with them 'cause I'm a childhood Steelers fan and never shied away from that living down in Dallas Cowboy territory. But I never feel more important than when I'm standing in front of 700 or 800 soldiers and they've got the 40 or 50 pounds of gear on and they've been on a 12-mile hump and they come in and all they want to do is come over and get their digital camera out and take a picture of me so they can put in an e-mail to their wife or sister or whatever."

Getting back to Pittsburgh (which Keith will do after a Saturday afternoon appearance at Live 8 in Philadelphia), he's doing two shows this year for a reason.

"Pittsburgh," he says, "is a very strong market for me, always has been. And the last two or three years, we've had lots of complaints about the traffic being so bad getting in there. We were selling in excess of 25,000 tickets. And it's just not fair. You leave an hour and a half before the show and you're still in line when I go on stage and the other two acts are already off the stage. Promoters ask so much of the people to come listen to us that I just said, 'Let's just cut it off at 15,000 and do two shows.' That way everybody will get a good seat, enjoy it, get in and park."

And after all, those fans have always been there for him -- long before, during and after his infamous Dixie Chicks feud and "The Angry American" turned him into tabloid TV fodder.

"Larry King and '60 Minutes,' that reaches people that don't really know me," he says. "But I had 12 or 13 million records sold before 'Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.' If I woulda broke on the scene with 'Red, White and Blue' and sold 4 or 5 million records, then people could say, 'Hey, this launched this guy's career,' but I'd already had a triple platinum album. I already had my greatest hits out. I was already a seasoned headliner out here doing these shows like Pittsburgh before the 9/11 thing came out. There's history before and after the patriotic song. I'm already an album and a half removed from that. The song I've got out right now is one of the fastest-rising in my career and it has no military or anything in it. So that just shows how strong my audience is and where I am. And for me to be able to come into a town like Pittsburgh, a blue-collar, hard-working town that likes blue-collar, hard-working songs, and have two shows instead of one, that just shows where we're at. I'm just happy to be a conservative Democrat that has love for his country and respect for whoever's in the presidency, not that I can't disagree with their issues, but I don't like people to personally attack whoever's in that seat. I think it's all right to disagree with the issues, but all the personal attacks need to go away and we need to find somebody in the middle that ain't afraid to protect this country, that believes in God and maybe can get us closer to the middle instead of all these extreme lefties and righties you've gotta deal with every day. I keep makin' my songs, and as long as the fans still want 'em I'll be there. All right, buddy?"

(Ed Masley can be reached at emasley@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1865.)

Ellie