PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Shaffer
10-29-02, 01:54 PM
Sparrowhawk just touched on something that i have been wondering for a while now. What does "thedrifter" mean and where did it come from? many folks on here including Sparrowhawk have that name for a reason. Unlike myself who just use my last name and my alter ego "SecurityForce" was my job in the Corps. I am not all that creative anyways. So I ask the question, what does your username mean?
:marine:

gunnyg
10-29-02, 02:20 PM
All of us on the Net use these screen names, user names, handles--call them what you will.

GunnyG came about about 5 years ago when I had bought a WebTV--prior to that I couldn't even get cash out of an ATM w/o screwing up. I certainly had no clue as to just what the Internet was, or how to operate the damn WebTV, let alone a PC.

Anyway, I remember now, my son, who had insisted on setting me up w/a webpage, asking, what are we going to call this? Just put my name on it I told him. He did and then said something about it being too long, so I told him to just shorten it to GunnyG. (GySgt had turned out to be my terminal grade). He did, and it stuck. Nobody was actually going to see the webpage--just going to use it for bookmarks, etc. It ended up growing on me and taking over my life.

There are people I've seen on these messagebooards, and get e-mail from, for years now, and except for a few, I don't know who they really are apart from their handles! Some I do, but many I don't. Every once in a while, I have occasion where somebody realizes this, and lets me know their real name--which comes as a great surprise to me, when I also knew the real name, but not that the two were actually the same entity.

Further, I think that many of us seem to take on the identity of whomever/whatever our handle may be. We come to think of ourselves in that way.

To even further complicate matters (for me at least), many of us use several screen names, one for each of several messageboards, etc. Myself, it gets as confusing as if I were a sterile rabbit.

So, that's my two cents worth.

The WebTV, BTW, is a dandy, low cost, little medium for getting onto the Net and getting your feet wet. I point this out--even though I, myself, have long since graduated to a real PC--because I always take the opportunity to point out the obvious absence of old-timers on Marine Messageboards (Old-Timers: WWII/Pre-WWII/Korean War/Era Marines, etc.)

One of the reasons for their absence, it is widely thought, is their being PC unfriendly--therefore, I would like to recommend/suggest that they get onto the Net via a WebTV, which is a less expensive and easier way to break into the Net.

In fact, I would like to see all the old-time Marines setting up their own webpages w/their bographies, etc. There's a lot of knowledge and experience out there that we could all learn from, and pass on down to these younger Marines.

Semper Fidelis
Dick G

Sgt0811
10-29-02, 02:53 PM
My name here is my nickname from birth. On other sites you may see Sgt0811. This easy too. Sgt.(my rank or grade), 0811 (my MOS, Artillery or Cannoneer)

Spiderman
10-29-02, 03:03 PM
My real name is Peter Parker.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/bios/xtras/bio_images/spiderman.gif

When I was a high-school student
I was bitten by an irradiated spider that gave me incredible, arachnid-like powers.

Years, later when a burglar killed my Uncle Ben, I was grief-stricken and vowed to use my amazing abilities to protect my fellow man.

But I learned an invaluable lesson: With great power, there comes also a great responsibility! So, I have to fight off the women all the time. it's like when I was in the Marine corps, women love the uniform.

LadyLeatherneck
10-29-02, 03:19 PM
"My real name is Peter Parker. "

LMAO!!!! Ay Hermano..you never fail!!! :p

Sparrowhawk
10-29-02, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by LadyLeatherneck
"My real name is Peter Parker. "

LMAO!!!! Ay Hermano..you never fail!!! :p

HEY LADY where You bean?

tell us how you got your nickname..

I know, I know, I'll tell everyone

Your a lady walking the streets of Anaheim in leather...

Oh, oh, OH, about the neck part.. well use your imagination....LMAO

Shaffer
10-29-02, 03:24 PM
All I can say is LMAO@Peter Parker!!!

Too funny!

LadyLeatherneck
10-29-02, 03:34 PM
LMAO Sparrow...hummm...something makes me think you've been <br />
down to Harbor street before you little brat! Actually this name is <br />
pretty much retired! My original handles were XWmnMarine and...

Barndog
10-29-02, 03:37 PM
I may have told ya all this before.... 'we' (my best bro & I ) were about 4&6 or somethin like that - he is younger, joined the Corps AFTER me...... LOL ) - I fed him a rock, told him it was a jelly bean. He gagged on it, his older brother ( the Asst. AG guy) - pushed me outta the barn - and started callin me "ya BARNDOG sonofa.... etc etc etc".

So, there ya have it. He has this phobia to jelly beans to this day.

Semper FI

JAMarine
10-29-02, 04:36 PM
You just had to ask didn't you Gerald!

When I first came on the chat some (what) 2 years or so now, I didn't know what I wanted as a nic. I thought about it for a while and pondered a fitting name. It was taking me entirely too long. So I asked myself is there anything about me that would set me apart from all others in this place. After thinking about it for a while I decided that for the most part I was just another Marine.

So there you have it;

Just Another Marine

JAM

The nic stuck. So now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks Marine. And Thanks to all that showed me the way Home.

Sophora
10-29-02, 05:34 PM
errr...I'm a tree :) Sophora (http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Fabaceae/Sophora_secundiflora.html)

devilpup2B
10-29-02, 06:04 PM
I needed to get rid of LittleMarine so a bunch of y'all helped me pick out this one...And it's just what it says...DevilPup2B....:)

Barrio_rat
10-29-02, 06:33 PM
Mine is a long story... but I can condense it. Barrio Barreto, Olongapo City, Republic of the Philippines. The barrio was quiet and the beer was cheaper. The girls would leave ya alone if ya asked 'em to also. A bonus in the PI. Had my safe bar, even left a $500 + camera behind the bar one night. Went back on the off chance it would still be there... It was. Since I wouldn't hang out in Olongapo or even temp fate in Subic City... well, got this nickname. I like it. Some say it fits all too well. ;)

wrbones
10-29-02, 06:42 PM
It really started to stick when I first hit the Fleet. I was 6'6" and 195. Plus it's the first part of my last name. WR are my first two initials, thus wrbones. This be me. No fuss, no muss. Keep it simple.

USMC-FO
10-29-02, 06:43 PM
Ah...let me think here..... Hmmmm....

Logical progesssion as in: 0811 to 0844 ended 0846

Much fun in all but liked calling shots.

Now all this is easy for an addled mind to remember.

Santos
10-29-02, 07:08 PM
Ok lets see here... I am the only person on my father's side of the family to have a middle name... and of course if I was to be the first, it had to be original so I was named after my great grandmother Santos. (Just in case you don't know Santos means saint in spanish... which I am of course! wink )
Anyways it was quick and simple so here I am.

top1371
10-29-02, 08:15 PM
errr. top1371 = MSgt Combat Engineer....

Top for short!

MillRatUSMC
10-29-02, 08:26 PM
I'm a retired steelworker, when people wanted to talk bad about steelworkers.
They would say "He nothing but an old dirty MillRat!"
So been the fool that I am.
I take pride in having survive both Vietnam and the steelmills.
Because everything in a steelmill is BIG nothing is small.
Even the "Rats" they survive in all that heat and they can kick some A$$!
LMAO
Even the deaths in those mills are nothing to laugh at.
Maybe I should change my handle to USMCMillRat, because I will in the Marine Corps before I ever thought of working in the steelmills.
I was a weldor for 28 years of my 31 years in the steelmills.
So now you know why "MillRatUSMC soon to be changed to USMCMillRat

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo aka USMCMillRat

TRIPWIRE
10-29-02, 08:53 PM
NO ROOM FOR MISTAKES IN THE MOS I HAD IN THE CORPS.

SO I GUESS MY (HANDLE) CAME WITH MY JOB.

COMBAT ENGINEERS, WE LOOK FOR MINES AND BOOBY TRAPS.....
AND HOPE YA DONT MAKE A MISTAKE.

SEMPERS BRO'S

10-29-02, 09:20 PM
Serial Number. Senior DI said "you'll never forget it"

Stephen P. Mers

firstsgtmike
10-30-02, 06:45 AM
Mine says it all. For the past 25 years, its the only way I have seen myself. I hope it is the only way I have acted. Shame on me if I have brought discredit to my rank or to my Corps.

I have tried, with every breath, to bring honor to both, for I am what I am.

Every time the opportunity presents itself, I sign my name. Mike Farrell. If anyone has a problem with that, it's personal. Take it up with ME. I'll put personal rank aside, but NEVER my Corps.

I believe a Marine Sgt. is the equivelent of a Navy Ensign, an Army Major, or an Air Force Lt.Col. In responsibility he usually outranks all of them.(I'll accept exceptions to that one, if YOU admit that you are citing exeptions, rather than challenging a proven fact.)

I'll start with a Marine Sgt. leading a combat patrol (a la Vietnam) and directly accountable and responsible for the lives of x number of patrol members.

Semper Fi

Trekkin
10-30-02, 09:46 AM
Trekking- arduous journey; hike through mountainous areas; long adventurer

I love anything out side from Climbing, Diving, Jumping (from the sky) Camping or whatever. I guess thats what makes the Corps so great.

Preacher
10-30-02, 10:08 AM
Preacher, was given to me in Vietnam, because of the crucifix I have tattooed on my chest.

SF, Preacher

JRtheSTAR
10-30-02, 06:19 PM
I see we have quite a few 1371's in here, I also was a 1371. I've been called JRtheStar for over 30 years, J.R. are my first two initials but don't remember where the star came in.

gyrene79
10-30-02, 10:38 PM
As for me I came up with this screen name a few years
back it signafiys the year I became a Marine.

radmaw
10-31-02, 09:50 AM
RADMAW = Radio telegraph operator 2533 (an mos no longer in use in the Corps) and MAW cuz of the airwing. Spent a year with the 3rd airwing in Opa Locka, Fla. Real hazardous duty.

mrbsox
10-31-02, 08:35 PM
Last name is BOWERSOX..... Americanized version of the German BAUERSACHS.

Any way, as a Technical Instructor, students shortened it to Mr. B, which was OK since they usually butchered it up anyway !!!

When joining AOL many, many years ago, mrb was taken, and mrbsox was available.

And that's the truth... :lick: :lick: thttttt

Terry

grunt2b
10-31-02, 09:59 PM
well, its what it says, grunt to be

22DevilPup87
11-01-02, 08:19 PM
My nickname ...
The story is boring.

One day I'll be a Marine, but I'm not there yet, so I'm a devil pup. 22 is the day of the month I was born in and 87 is the year. (1987 to safeguard myself from anyone that may want to start a joke and say I'm 1915 yeard old.)

Barrio_rat
11-01-02, 08:56 PM
1987? Okay.. I'll let it be... I guess we've all been there and it's all relative... but 1987? If ya haven't had to live through that hell called disco....

troop901
11-01-02, 09:06 PM
Its my name cause Laura told me it was my name, well, actually, am a troop in ohiya so ya got the troop part and my unit number, cause all we are is numbers anyways, is 901 so go figure. And Rich, call me sometime when i aint workin, like this sunday, startin to wonder bout u and da warden lol.

Roberto T. Cast
11-02-02, 05:03 PM
My nephew thought he was making fun of me by calling me Leatherneck and Jarhead. He thought it was very funny. I told him he could call me Leatherneck or Jarhead because I was very proud to be called either one. He decided to call me Jarhead. To him, Jarhead was funnier than Leatherneck. Then I told him to call me Marine Corps Jarhead and that he was a "Wannabee". So in the internet, I chose marinecorpsjarhead. Dam proud of it.